Diving after eating, what to eat between the dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
You dive once, surface time, how to kill an hour or two... well, to eat something. By the time the second dive comes, the food in the stomach is not really looking for acrobatics under the water... Ever had this?

What and how much do you eat between the dives, if you do at all? Any tips or tricks?

I suppose it goes without saying but plenty of water to rehydrate and get rid if the dry mouth and throat that breathing compressed air.

I stay away from dry foods, dairy and chocolate as they make me mucousy. When it's warm I like fruit, bananas I'm told are good. When it's cold I like hot porridge oats made with boiling water and sugar (no milk or salt) as it releases energy slowly and make me feel warm.

I know of people who will have a full fried breakfast between morning dives and not have any problems,personally I can't do anything other than sleep if I'm feeling bloated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Protein bars/shakes. My fav is 8oz of skim milk, teaspoon or organic natural peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Mmmm

Everyone is different. I'm always starving after a dive. Liveaboards feed you after every dive (which i love) and will give you a full cooked breakfast between dive one and two:D. My day boat experience is limited to the south pacific region and they usually offer tea, coffee and water with fruit and cake or cookies of some sort. As westOne says, drink plenty of water whatever happens.

I eat a good breakfast, and lunch. On the boat between dives its oranges or whatever they have on the boat. Usually fruit, and cookies, maybe I'll bring a power bar or a granola snack. I do not hydrate more than normal which is to say I go through 32oz water on the boat. I do not eat a lot on the boat.

Liveaboards are the exception, we stuffed ourselves on the liveaboards I have been on.

My vote is for junk food. Soda pop and chips if it's warm and sunny, or hot cocoa and cookies if it's cool. I don't really pay attention to other peoples' eating habits, and I consider myself to eat healthily most often, but I feel like I'm starving when I get out of the water and actual food that's good for you just doesn't satisfy at a time like that.

It's probably my fond memories from my childhood that contribute to this, from when I was just a small boy on the summer swim team. The vapor would rise from the outdoor pool at daybreak when the cool air off the lake hit the warm water. My dear mother would buy me a hot cocoa from the vending machine. I remember nursing a paper cup full of steaming hot cocoa as I shivered. Some things, you never forget.

Fruit if it's on offer, otherwise some snakes or sweets are good for a quick blood sugar hit. A warm cup of tea if it's on offer. If it's an extended SI i'll just eat a normal lunch.
Or everything in sight if it's a live-aboard.

For me it depends on the dive - how deep and how much work am I planning on doing? Generally I'll always stay away from a heavy breakfast - fats take a bit longer to digest and if the seas aren't particularly kind, producing extra fish attractant isn't going to be a highlight of my dive - I've seen enough Bacon & Eggs w/ Hashbrowns! I'm not prone to sea-sickness so I rarely take bonine unless it's really bad and if it's that bad, I simply won't go. For a short interval, CapriSun (Kiwi-Strawberry is a fav) is great as would any high-water content fruit (watermelon is awesome). Longer intervals usually adds a sandwich since you have time to digest but as said before - hydration is your best friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom