AquaLung Calypso for cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Up until last year Leisure Pro was the go-to place for discount grey-market dive gear. For brands they are an authorized dealer for they advertise at the same MAP as any other dealer. So comparing prices with them you will no longer see huge discounts unless it is a sale item. On of my favorite dive stories comes from a colleague of mine who went shopping for a regulator at a dive shop. When he asked the owner what was the difference between the two regs the owner's answer was $300. Same reg, fancier package, higher price. If you want to buy a new reg my advice is to go online and download the service manuals for the regs and check the part numbers to see what is different. For example the only difference I spotted between a Titan LX and a Legend is the case. The internals all appear to be the same and from reports on SB they appear to breath the same, so why pay the extra money?

SCUBAJosh, I enjoyed your reply, well most of it. You are indeed an LDS's dream come true customer. I, on the other hand, am an LDS's worst nightmare. To each his own.

Dive safe,

FM1520
San Diego, CA

FM1520,
I apologize for my attitude however I don't agree with the mainstream attitude towards LDS's. You are right to each his own. ams511 thanks for the info. I still haven't purchased a new reg as I am still doing the research.

I bought an Aqualung Calypso regulator to use with my pony bottle, back when I used one. I didnt use my pony often, but on the occasions I did, my Calypso loved to freeflow. I dive in the Puget Sound mostly where the water temperature is 44 degrees in the winter and 55 in the summer. So I would not recomment the Calypso for cold water diving. At all. I would however recommend a Scubapro Mk25/S600 reg. I own 3 of them, soon to be 4. If you dont want to spend $600 on a reg, then dont buy new. Buy used. My last two Mk25/S600 regs I bought as a pair for $500 total -- more than $100 less than retail for a single one. You will save a lot of money this way. I would recommend buying from someone trustworthy though if at all possible. If you know a lot of divers, chances are someone knows someone who has a good reg for sale.

EDIT: I also tried using the Calypso 2nd stage for my alternate air bungeed around my neck as I started to switch to DIR. After one dive with it there, I went out and bought a better 2nd stage because I was losing so much gas due to free flow.

Is the EU version of the Calypso different to the US version? The EU version is listed as exceeding the requirements of EN250 for use in cold water diving and I know a number of suppliers selling this in the UK as an entry level setup for UK divers. One of the shops near to me is an Aqualung supplier and tried to sell them to me, I know he uses them as his school/rental setup, he told me that the first stage was similar to the Scubapro MK2 which is also widely used in UK school setups. I went with he ATX40/ds4 but I was tempted by the Calypso as it was cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom