HOG D1 Combo vs SP MK25/A700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

two of us posted the link to some numbers now and you have no comment on them??? Come on
UaVaj

those numbers are impressive given a $300 complete regulator (hose included).

I was reallie hoping for independant third party numbers instead. You know - an unmarked random regulator purchase through random retail channel and put to the test/machine for deep deep depth.

Good luck finding that on much of any dive equipment. You now have lots of first hand accounts of users that are not dealers and at least some numbers to go by. Not sure how much more you want but if that isnt enough and you dont want to test dive them............may as well just go spend more money someplace else I guess. Paralysis by analysis is a terrible thing :wink:

I don't have any objective testing data, but I can refer you to some folks who are regularly DIVING the regs to those depths . . .

it would be nice to hear from folks who do push their HOG D1 to such depth (~165') and what kind of activities they do at that depth.

it would be even nicer to hear which regulator they switch over from and their reasoning. especially from any MK25/S600 convert to HOG?

---------- Post Merged at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Are you serious?? At $830 vs $260. What are really trying to compare here?

i could care less what the letter in front of my regulator is. what i do care is when i am huffing n puffing wrestling a big fish at 160'+. I want to breathe like I am at the surface. grand amount of air deliver to me on demand. i simply want the best performance regardless if it is $830 or $260.

First of all.there are no test labs like consumer reports uses for scuba gear. SGR, Scubadiving magazine, etc do not go out and buy gear. They rely on their advertisers sending them free stuff to test. I have yet to see an objective review in either that pointed out any cons to the gear they tested. In fact some of their "reviews" are clearly nothing more than regurgitated mfg hype used in their ads. They do not review stuff by just going out and buying it and trying to destroy it. They even make recommemdations on gear that clearly show the people reviewing it don't know what they are talking about.

As for the type of dives people are doing on HOG regs, I have had mine to 150 feet in the Great Lakes in 36-37 degree water, under the ice in february, and most recently teaching a deep class with 5 dives in excess of 100 feet in 42 degree water.
One of my customers is doing 250+ ft trimix dives in Puerto Rico. A friend is using them in caves to depths approaching 300 feet.

As to why I went to them, first was admittedly cost. I was getting into tech and needed a set of doubles regs. Still using them 3 1/2 years later. Then I needed stage regs, a singles reg,etc.. And I needed to be able to service them myself, buy the kits openly, and not get told they had to be serviced with 30 days of some date or lose a "free parts for life" thing that really wasn't if someone changed their mind or "lost the records". And if as a diver I wanted to get trained to.service them by a factory authorized instructor.

That's why I started using them and now also sell them.

The Mk 25 is a great first stage. But from all I have read not up here where we do a lot of cold water. Too many reports of freeflows for me to take a chance. I also cannot get parts easily as a dealer who sells parts to divers risks losing that dealership. In order to get official training on it you have be working with or for a shop. And even then if you leave the shop as an authorized tech they still will not sell you parts. Also the reason I am phasing out my Oceanics.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I just drop a bunch of coins for a shinny MK25/A700. Prior to that I was diving with a MK25/S600.

The subjective reviews on scubaboard here regarding the HOG D1 is overwhelming. Can someone kindly link me to an independent "unbias" in the lab type review. I want "objective" hard numbers as to how HOG D1 compare to SP MK25/A700 in term of "performance" at depth. Mainly at depth of 120' to 180'. A bonus would be where the HOG max out. Wonder if HOG can break SP record of 306fsw @ 75RMV.

A repeat of this review with HOG "included" would be exactly what I want to see.
Gear / Accessories | Scuba Diving Magazine

What gas are you diving at 180'?

You'd never tell the difference really.

What gas are you diving at 180'?

do you post just for the sake of posting (aka trolling). or do you have some legit info/experience to share? is this how you get that 10k+ post count? and for a HOG dealer to like such post? must be some HOG conspiracy.

anyway, if there were no difference as you stated. all the major maunfucturers might as well pack their bags and get out of the diving industry. hog is taking over. hog must the next best thing since sliced bread. been 5 years. no objective review. what is missing?

i bought my fair share of less-expensive stuff. definitely not junks, however definitely not refine. when it comes to life support equipment for demanding activities at deep deep depth. do you not want the best (that u can afford)? rather that be the boutique $830 or the value $260?

back to post #1.
if you or any of your followers have legit third party lab type objective review. do link.
if any of you want to continue to post subjective reviews. do include: (1) depth, (2) type of activity, (3) brand/model of regulator you had prior. otherwise such review is saltless.

do you post just for the sake of posting (aka trolling). or do you have some legit info/experience to share? is this how you get that 10k+ post count? and for a HOG dealer to like such post? must be some HOG conspiracy.

If you think the gas mix is irrelevant to regulator performance, maybe you shouldn't be attempting these dives.

Or it's just a Hog conspiracy. That's probably it.

Reactions: Tug
do you post just for the sake of posting (aka trolling).

if you or any of your followers have legit third party lab type objective review. do link.
if any of you want to continue to post subjective reviews. do include: (1) depth, (2) type of activity, (3) brand/model of regulator you had prior. otherwise such review is saltless.

It seems to me that no abount of evidence whether objective or antecedal will measure up to your expectations. It would be my opinion that you are in fact trolling by being dishonest in your desire to learn more.

Maybe you should just ask if someone around you has a Hog that you could borrow and take it for a dive. It is possible that this regulator might just suprise the hell out of you. I know there's a couple guys on here from Austin who were very supsicious also and they seem to be pleasantly suprised. One guy is doing his first in water dive and I'm curious to see what he says.

I am suspecting trolling is going on. Why else come in and ask for test numbers AFTER having purchased something else? I posted very early in this thread asking why he cared if he had already dropped his dough on some other brand. The time to look for those numbers and testimonials was prior to making a purchase. As this thread has gone along it has become pretty clear, to me at least, that the OP was completely disingenuous. [h=1][/h]

Unless he needs more horses, the horse is kind of out of the barn, isn't it?

I guess the horse is also beaten also. IMO the Hog D1 and ScubaPRo MK25 are both great regs and I wouldn't mind owning either for the diving that I do. ( I doubt I'll ever be below 50f water now that I live in Texas so the MK25 concerns are moot. )

So assuming you believe both are good, remember it's better to pay too much then to get junk. So whatever he paid for the MK25 ... just go dive it and have fun. That's what I do with my D1 every week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom