First ocean dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding Nitrox certification:

If you ended the dive because you were low on air, Nitrox won't help. Bigger tank would.

Nitrox is great for extending bottom times that aren't limited by air consumption and shortening surface intervals. BUT, as you'll learn in your Nitrox class, you also must limit your depth according to your percentage of oxygen. [if I'm wrong, please correct me!!]

Ocean dives are awesome - sounds like you had a great dive. Diving in "less than ideal" circumstances makes you a better diver in the long run! Congratulations!

See you on the bottom,
Andy

Regarding Nitrox certification:

If you ended the dive because you were low on air, Nitrox won't help. Bigger tank would.

Nitrox is great for extending bottom times that aren't limited by air consumption and shortening surface intervals. BUT, as you'll learn in your Nitrox class, you also must limit your depth according to your percentage of oxygen. [if I'm wrong, please correct me!!]

Ocean dives are awesome - sounds like you had a great dive. Diving in "less than ideal" circumstances makes you a better diver in the long run! Congratulations!

See you on the bottom,
Andy

Thank you for this, all the Nitrox posts were killing me..... :) Nitrox is great, don't get me wrong, but unless you were dive limited due to your nitrogen load and not your air supply (or lack thereof), you won't get extended dive times. You are still breathing in the same amount of gas, it's just the composition of that gas that differs... But you'll learn all that in class. :)

Glad you had fun, and if you handled a current like that without getting too flustered you did great!

If it's kinda rough on the surface, talk to your buddy and plan for both of you to stop, rest and collect yourselves either once you reach the anchor/decent line or about 12' down the line (if the surface is too rough). You want to stop feeling sick and always return to normal breathing (no longer "winded" or breathing hard from exertion) before you start your descent. Generally just get collected, calm and ready to have a good time, not a stressful time => then give each other the down signal and continue your descent.

In everyone was getting sick on this trip then there's no good reason to think you will necessarily have problems w/ seasickness in the future. When the seas really try they can make anyone sick. If it does become a problem see this Doc Vikingo's Sea Sickness Remedies

Welcome to the addiction!

+1 on the EANx posts. Unless this was a deep dive and you were limited by NDLs, nitrox wont let you stay down longer. Improving your SAC (which comes with time) and a bigger tank (just make sure you have a balanced rig) are what will make you last longer on any given dive. Furthermore, EANx wont help you last longer below 100ft (or 110 depending on who you ask) because that is the MOD for the mix. And if you are using EANx to exceed the air NDL at 100 ft (20 min), then thats probably a dive you will be making on doubles anyways. Imo, EANx for recreational dives doesnt have very much usefulness, unless it is doing repetitive dives.
Congrats on your first ocean dive though! I'll stop rambling now :D

I only went about 65 ft down on these dives since I'm only OW certified. I want my advanced so I can go deeper. Next time I really want to see a stingray or a shark. That would be awesome

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom