Destin East Jetty - Possibly Dismantled ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Destin East Jetty Possibly Dismantled?

Drowning near Destin's east jetty raises concern among local officials | al.com

Drowning near Destin's east jetty raises concern among local officials

By: Dennis Pillion | dpillion@al.com

DESTIN, Florida -- A 62-year-old Ohio man drowned while snorkeling off the east jetty last week, the third drowning incident in the past two years at that spot.

Now, Destin's Fire Control District Chief Kevin Sasser is again saying something must be done at the jetty.

"That's just a bad place," Sasser told The Destin Log newspaper. "We are going to evaluate ways to prevent these types of incidents from happening and do what we can as a district."

Sasser had previously described the dangerous situation near the jetty earlier this year, after 22-year-old Stephen Noray drowned there while scuba diving, saying the finger jetty and outgoing tides can create a vortex, or an eddy, up to 50-feet deep.

Options Sasser discussed in a May 31 story by The Log include dismantling the jetty or creating more signs to warn swimmers of the danger.

If you like diving Destin Jetty, you may want to take the time to let the Council and Chamber know how important it is to you....

Destin City Council
4200 Indian Bayou Trail
Destin, FL 32541
council@cityofdestin.com
Ph: (850) 837-4242

Destin Area Chamber of Commerce
4484 Legendary Dr. Ste. A
Destin, FL 32541
Phone: (850) 837-6241
Fax: (850) 654-5612
mail@DestinChamber.com

Generally written correspondence is more effective than phone calls and emails (especially emails). Please be respectful in your comments, and don't forget to tell them about the money you spend in dive shops, restaurants, gas stations, etc.

Wow. That would suck!!

Reposted on the Aquarians Dive Club facebook page (out of Fort Rucker, AL); hoping to get some mail generated to help "save" the jetty.

I think dismantling the jetty seems a little extreme. There wasn't as much life there as I remember but it is still an active reef system. I do agree on the signs as a warning to those who may not be aware of the strong currents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are "dismantling" dangerous stuff around here, I guess they will also dismantle Hwy 98 because a whole lot of people die on that road every year! There is no danger of them dismantling the jetties, just a typical politician speaking before thinking. They can't even get permission to put sand on Noriega Point...I would like to see them get permission to remove the jetties and let the Destin Pass close up. Ain't Happening.

If they are "dismantling" dangerous stuff around here, I guess they will also dismantle Hwy 98 because a whole lot of people die on that road every year! There is no danger of them dismantling the jetties, just a typical politician speaking before thinking. They can't even get permission to put sand on Noriega Point...I would like to see them get permission to remove the jetties and let the Destin Pass close up. Ain't Happening.

I agree that the chances are pretty low that they'll be dismantled, but they could always close it to diving (which would be unconstitutional imho) or set up some other stupid set of rules that we all know are unnecessary.

I agree on the possibility of restricting access. All they would have to do is cut off the public access walkway, then only people that have access through a condo or boat would be able to get to the jetty. Destin continues to shoot itself in the foot with divers, while Pensacola and Panama City continue to expand diving possibilities. Destin sends the economic impact of divers to other communities. Since I own a business locally I hate to see us shoot ourselves in the foot. I will keep my ears open, if they say they are going to talk about restricting access I will be sure to go to that meeting.

I agree that the chances are pretty low that they'll be dismantled, but they could always close it to diving (which would be unconstitutional imho) or set up some other stupid set of rules that we all know are unnecessary.

Did this dive last month and was surprised by the way the current shifted several times during the same dive. I had noticed the sand had shifted quite a bit from when I had dove this in years past. I wonder if a little dregging would help this. I dont dive it enough to make an accurate diagnosis but it was a wild dive.

Here's an idea. I can fully appreciate that the jetty may now cause a public safety issue and given that there is now public money invested in it's construction and maintenance so anything that is done should rightly consider both points of view. If the jetties should be closed wouldn't it be justifiable to build some kind of man made structure elsewhere as both a benefit to the environment and a be edit to the local economy? What would something like this cost?

The Destin jetties are affected by tides, currents, seas, and even rainfall. Choctawhatchee Bay empties through the Destin Pass. When there are large tidal changes the water can turn suddenly at the jetties. Nice clear water that was pushing in from the Gulf can suddenly switch and pull violently out toward the Gulf. Suddenly dark brown water can rush out the pass toward the Gulf. I have had some dives at the jetties were I pulled myself hand over hand on the rocks to fight the current. When you have a tank on your back that is not a big issue.

But most of the problems/deaths at the jetties have been snorkelers. They start getting pulled out with the current and try to fight their way back...we all know that is a losing battle. As CompAirJunkie stated you can even get pulled in different directions depending upon which part of the jetty you are diving. If you are out toward the anchor you can get pulled in a different direction then if you are hanging around the shell pile or the metal box.

The Destin Jetties are a great dive...IF the right people are diving it at the right time. When the wrong people dive it at the wrong time it is a recipe for bad things to happen....but isn't that pretty much true for every dive sight!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom