Critical Accident Rescues/Incidents - How many involvements have you had?

See below....

• Never

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • Once

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Twice or more

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 12 years of diving, I've never been involved in an incident in which the victim was critical. I've been involved in serious non-critical emergencies, but still not all that many.

If you are a dive professional, you often do not have that luxury.

In fact, if you are "good", you often get "assigned" the worst basket cases. I got buddied up with a significantly, mentally retarded gentleman, at the spure of the moment, not 2 minutes before we splashed. I had almost no time to evaluate this individual, other than to determine that he had some serious deficits and was nervous. He ended up being fine; followed me like a puppy dog and we had a fun dive in 60 or 80 feet of water. He was very enthusiastic underwater and also on the surface interval as we talked about the dive. He had a lot more fun than me, I was very nervous.

But it's like a "box of chocolates" in many situations.

Dumpster Diver, your positive attitude, even in this situation is uplifting. Thanks for sharing!

To answer the thread question.......witnessed one serious but not critical...was an older diver with mild symptoms of DCS but did end up in a chamber for precaution.

Last edited:
Have assisted in 3 rescue incidents, unfortunately 2 were fatal, 1 being a 16 year old boy scout. I will agree that when operators know your dive experience, they will tend to put newer divers with you as your buddy.

Back
Top Bottom