what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am headed off to Aruba in less than a week. A month ago I developed a minor toothache. I saw the dentist and he couldn't find anything and told me what I wanted to hear "lets wait and see".
Well, last night I saw a surgeon and he said I have a crack under a capped tooth (the reason why it was capped to begin with). He recommends a root canal. I NEVER had anything like this as I was blessed with great teeth (except for 2 cracked teeth... long story there). And yet he wont say if I should get it done before I go or wait till I return.
So I sit here and wonder...
Should I decide not to get the procedure done before I go, should I risk diving? I'm afraid the pressure changes will not be good.
Should I go for the procedure? a mere 3 days before I take off to Aruba? (I assume then diving is definitely out of the question).

I welcome any thoughts...

Hi, John,

Sorry to hear about the cracked tooth. Can I move your thread to the Diving Medicine where your questions would be seen by someone with medical training and knowledge?

Sure Sam... I've been away so long I forgot what the rest of scubaboard looks like...

Hi John,
Recommend you send a PM to Lawrence Stein, DDS. He's the resident dental expert here.
Best,
DDM

Hi Skipper John,

Here is an abbreviated version Dr. Stein's customary discussion of the issue you raise. He & I go way back together.

""If your root canal is properly done and the tooth is permanently restored, then ideally there will not be an air space or a potential space that compressed gas can accumulate.

That being said, it can't hurt to advise your dentist that you scuba dive.

Frequently, following root canal therapy, but before the final restoration, there is a tiny cotton ball placed in the remaining pulp chamber. It is there to demarkate the chamber and where the root canal has been treated. It is a normal, common practice which normally causes no problem. If you dive however, then this is an air space and can cause problems.

The simple solution is to tell your dentist that you intend to dive before the tooth restoration is completed. All he has to do is fill the pulp chamber with a soft temporary cement to elimate the space that would be created by the cotton.

Other potential air pockets or potential spaces may occur due to accessory canals. These branch off the main canal at right angles and usually go undetected unless some root canal cement is squeezed into them during the root canal filling procedure. Then they become visible on an x-ray.

Poorly treated root canal have the potential to trap an air space or gas can accumulate in any unfilled or unsealed portion of the root canal. Root canals filled "short of the apex" can cause problems.

Even if there is a space, most people won't suffer any problem.

On the other hand, you don't want to take a chance if you can help it. Gently remind or advise your dentist that you do scuba dive and would he be so kind to eliminate all air spaces. It is a reasonable request IMHO.

Here is a broader discussion of root canals and diving from Dive Medicine Online: http://www.scuba-doc.com/dendiv.htm#Root_Canal

Where possible, you should try to complete your tooth before diving. While it is a small risk, it does exist.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Laurence Stein DDS"

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks all for your feedback. It turns out I had the decision taken from my hands. 3 days before I was scheduled to leave the pain became suddenly unbearable and I was forced to have the root canal (my first). It turns out my tooth was aggressively building dentin and was closing off one of the canals through which a nerve lived. So 2 appointments in 2 days with the surgeon and a 3rd with a dentist for a permanent filling and all was well. It was still sore for a few days so I thought I should not dive. It turns out on the 3rd day I was fine and regretting not bringing my dive equipment.
Thanks again for all your input...

Bummer, Johnny, but you made your call based on how you were feeling at the time. And you couldn't predict possible post-procedure complications, such as an abscess.

They'll be other trips.

Best regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom