Actual youngest sidemount diver - sorry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay I'm sorry. It's just I personally wouldn't dive with him in any environment maybe it's just the way I was trained but it's my opinion and everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I understand I don't know everything and that I will make mistakes and there will be accidents above was one and I'm sure there will be more some underwater as well. I know I'm going to get some life lessons but don't we all? a good diver is always learning whether it's diving or not.

In which case, the lesson to be learned is that:

1) You cannot ascertain too much from a single photo.
2) People have different approaches, which aren't necessarily wrong.
3) First impressions are important, only because idiots make snap judgments.

For instance, I do agree that the equipment in that photo can be critiqued. However, we don't know the circumstances of that photo - he could have just 'thrown on' a borrowed set of kit that didn't fit him to pose the pic. He might hate the kit himself, but it's all he can afford currently, or was loaned. He might be fully aware of the changes to be made, but has to budget this over time. Thus, you can't judge the individual, just the kit....and there may be reasons for the kit.

All I see in that pic is a happy kid, on a happy day, doing something they enjoy...and proud of it.

One problem with the internet is that you can't share a simple picture, of a happy moment in your life, without a world full of haters making judgement upon you. People will rip your fashion, your looks, your technology... everything.

For instance, I do agree that the equipment in that photo can be critiqued. However, we don't know the circumstances of that photo - he could have just 'thrown on' a borrowed set of kit that didn't fit him to pose the pic. He might hate the kit himself, but it's all he can afford currently, or was loaned. He might be fully aware of the changes to be made, but has to budget this over time. Thus, you can't judge the individual, just the kit....and there may be reasons for the kit.

All I see in that pic is a happy kid, on a happy day, doing something they enjoy...and proud of it.

One problem with the internet is that you can't share a simple picture, of a happy moment in your life, without a world full of haters making judgement upon you. People will rip your fashion, your looks, your technology... everything.

DD

Great post. It just boggles my mind why adults attack a young kid trying to have fun and enjoy this sport. I thought it was an adults responsibility to nurture, mentor and encourage the young ones in life. To the OP drive on and continue to learn and enjoy the sport and try not to take this Internet culture toooooo seriously. Real life is not really the Internet. Go out and breath the fresh air and be safe while diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

(To the OP) Seriously though, I think you might be disappointed...it IS a big world...

I said certified. look at the way his hoses are routed his SPG is sticking straight out and on a bc with an over the shoulder inflate the inflator hose goes under the shoulder strap unless you are trying to get entangled. His reg hose is sticking way out and needs to be tucked. I don't know if it was just who I was trained by but my instructor saw every little entanglement hazard everywhere and fixed it and told us not to route hoses with any entanglment hazards. When I take my cavern class whenever I take it I won't dive with my bottles rigged like that, nor will I dive with a buddy backmount or sidemount that has his bottles rigged that way. If he is actually certified he should probably route his hoses differently and ask SM divers with more experience how they rig.
totally agree.

"Life lessons ahead" is a given for teenagers.

Such a joyous stage of existence to believe the world so simple a place that you could ever consider yourself to have 'worked it out'. Is a shame that reality and experience inevitably crushes that naive, but amazing, view of the world.
Do all you old people jump on everyone under the age of dirt without evaluating what he has to say? I don't know Jason, but everything he said in that post is a reasonable appraisal of what the picture portrays. Whether he is 12 or 82, the factual content of a statement is unchanged.

Okay I'm sorry. It's just I personally wouldn't dive with him in any environment maybe it's just the way I was trained but it's my opinion and everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I understand I don't know everything and that I will make mistakes and there will be accidents above was one and I'm sure there will be more some underwater as well. I know I'm going to get some life lessons but don't we all? a good diver is always learning whether it's diving or not.

Budget is not an excuse for unsafe diving practices, budget is also not an excuse for simple hose routing issues that take minutes to route properly if he were to
ask SM divers with more experience how they rig.

DD

Great post. It just boggles my mind why adults attack a young kid trying to have fun and enjoy this sport. I thought it was an adults responsibility to nurture, mentor and encourage the young ones in life. To the OP drive on and continue to learn and enjoy the sport and try not to take this Internet culture toooooo seriously. Real life is not really the Internet. Go out and breath the fresh air and be safe while diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Is that not what is pretty much occurring here already? Some of you old salts need to get it through the crusted skull that the age of the person making a statement does not change its factual quality.

Not to mention the kid came on here to apologize for the misunderstanding THAT HE WAS NOT EVEN INVOLVED IN, and you all jump on him shaking your canes at him telling him how you walked up hill both ways through the snow and rain at the same time each day to school. You never gave him a chance.

---------- Post Merged at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:43 PM ----------

I just found the original thread mentioned...I'm a little shocked I was mentioned in the thread LOL

Is that not what is pretty much occurring here already? Some of you old salts need to get it through the crusted skull that the age of the person making a statement does not change its factual quality.

Not to mention the kid came on here to apologize for the misunderstanding THAT HE WAS NOT EVEN INVOLVED IN, and you all jump on him shaking your canes at him telling him how you walked up hill both ways through the snow and rain at the same time each day to school. You never gave him a chance.

Hummmm I am confused I tough I was being supportive of the OP and stating that the adults were needing to be helpful. You might want to re read my post. I also was agreeing with DD that was not busting on the young man but making a observation that was positive. Internet what can you say......:confused:

Last edited:
From this i envision the remake of a movie sceen where everyone stands up and says I AM SPARTICUS. As it is inevitable prehaps all claimee's should state thier age with thier claim.

How would you know if you were the youngest sidemount diver?The world is a BIG place.

Budget is not an excuse for unsafe diving practices, budget is also not an excuse for simple hose routing issues that take minutes to route properly if he were to

This is true - but hose routing is an issue for overhead diving environments. If the kid in the photo was diving open-water only, it'd be hard to point any blame for 'unsafe diving practices'. Again - you can't tell much from a single photo (I found that photo on a Facebook sidemount group... have no idea of the background behind it - was used purely to illustrate to the OP that he wasn't the only teenage sidemount diver..).

Sidemount is becoming increasingly popular in recreational 'open water' diving. PADI prerequisites for the 'basic' course are OW certification only. Instructor prerequisites are 25 sidemount dives or a 2-day induction course. Expect to see a lot more 'sloppy' sidemount in the future...

Some of you old salts need to get it through the crusted skull that the age of the person making a statement does not change its factual quality.

Statements being addressed include:

1) "I am the youngest sidemount diver in the world"
2) "The kid in the photo is dangerous/unsafe"

Kindly present factual evidence to support those statements, if you want to concur with the OP that they are factual.

I aim to be the oldest diver going into Sat :) Look for a thread here in 2 decades !!

I think we can all understand what Devon diver said about being happy (we are divers) but I do have one question, as a wreck/cave diver would you take him into the overhead environment?

Back
Top Bottom