Gear issue on dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So do they teach Ow students to disconnect the inflator hose underwater (say in case of a free flow)? If so, then what the hell is the student supposed to do afterwards? How do they get air in the BC while UW , if they have never practiced undewater? honestly, I'm having a hard time believing this..

The PADI OW requires a disconnect and reconnect of the inflator hose underwater, you also have to do a fin pivot using oral inflation underwater. As someone has already stated you also have to gain positive bouyancy using oral inflate at the surface.

If you do the drysuit speciality you do the hose disconnect and reconnect on that as well.

Well good they haven't changed that requirement (yet)....

The decision to continue a dive with a gear failure should always be a thoughtful one. If the dive I'm doing is very solidly within my comfort zone, I'd probably do just what you did. If there was anything about it that was already a stressor, that might be enough to call it. It's always a risk assessment.

The PADI OW requires a disconnect and reconnect of the inflator hose underwater, you also have to do a fin pivot using oral inflation underwater. As someone has already stated you also have to gain positive bouyancy using oral inflate at the surface.

If you do the drysuit speciality you do the hose disconnect and reconnect on that as well.

PADI OW only requires a disconnect of the LPI on the surface or underwater, no reconnect (why would you?). This is in case of a free-flow LPI, and if taught correctly allows students to start or continue a dive with a malfunctioning LPI.

PADI OW only requires a disconnect of the LPI on the surface or underwater, no reconnect (why would you?). This is in case of a free-flow LPI, and if taught correctly allows students to start or continue a dive with a malfunctioning LPI.

We were definitely made to do a disconnect and reconnect underwater, the instructor wouldn't finish the skill until the hose was reconnected, I know because I had problems with mine, the loaner gloves didn't fit properly and I had to take one off to get the hose reconnected (I should have listen when we were told to buy our own gloves).

In any case we had to reconnect as there were other skills to complete on that dive.

Personally, in confined open water I teach disconnect without reconnection. After the ascent my students have to orally inflate.

Reconnecting isn't a problem, or against standards, but wherever possible I get my students to orally inflate. If/when the time comes that they need to orally inflate it will be second nature to them.

Out of interest, what were your confined open water conditions that required the use of gloves?

Out of interest, what were your confined open water conditions that required the use of gloves?

Inland site in the UK in early spring so water temps around 8C. I remember my fingers being numb after 30 minutes in the water.

We did our oral inflate on the surface following a CESA.

I remember doing the manual inflate at the surface and under. In fact I continue to practice that under on just about every dive. I get bored at the safety stop sometimes so I practice the bc drill, change regs, flood mask whatever.

8 degrees C, bloody cold if you ask me (I've persoanlly dived down to 2 degrees many times), and nothing like swimming pool conditions what so ever. But of course no mention of temp in the PADI IM.

PADI:
Confined open water is an open water site that offers swimming pool-like conditions with respect to clarity, calmness, and depth.

Then again I've been warmer on a dive in a drysuit at 2 degrees than I have been in a wetsuit at 24 degrees. You can change your protection but you can't change the clarity or calmness, other than choosing a more appropriate site. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom