Anybody know of anybody trying sidemount and not liking it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard a few divers who "tried" using sidemount, that didn't appreciate it or like it.

I've never heard a diver who effectively "trained/qualified" using sidemount express the same negative feedback.

I have been using sidemount for over 10 years when it was needed to complete a particular dive- its a tool and has pluses and minuses. With the advent on all the new dedicated sidemount rigs available these days some of the drawbacks have been eliminated while others will always be there. I also teach sidemount but if its a nice easy reef dive I still prefer backmount and if I am using multiple deco bottles I still prefer backmount.

I know quite a few that were self taught. That said, I don't know any that was taught by someone like Edd that didn't like it.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

After first using it in caves back in '95 when we were all self taught, I spent a few weeks in Florida last year getting up to date on all the new tweaks - now some of the new techniques do simplify it a bit from what we used to use back in the day - mostly due to the new rigs having everything in the right place to hold bottles nicely it still would not be my first choice for most easy single tank reef dives or for most ocean dives when 4+ bottles are needed.

I could see someone who did not like tweaking gear or expecting to just don gear and go the first time not liking it. There is a learning curve and a certain attention to detail that either appeals, or doesn't. I like it but I bet my wife wouldn't.

I've never felt as graceful and free in the water as I did during my 45 minutes or so in Rob Neto's wife's sidemount setup.

That said, I haven't gone sidemount for a whole raft of reasons. I don't like the idiosyncratic nature of the equipment setup, and I haven't been able to decide on something I want to dive that will work for Mexico and cold water. I also decided it was easier for me to manage my tanks on my back for the entries and exits we do in MX.

The decision can be revisited, but I wasn't compelled.

In some respects, I think it's only fair to differentiate between:

- Those that tried it, but didn't opt for it as their primary configuration thereafter.

- Those that tried it, but didn't like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom