No Ditchable Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For major failures, we plan a redundant system. For buoyancy, the redundant system is a dry suit. If your equipment is such that, in the event of a catastrophic wing failure (and they are rare) and USING your dry suit, you cannot swim to the surface, you are not diving a balanced rig, and something needs to be changed. You are not required to put the rig together so that you can swim it up with no air in the wing and no air in the dry suit, and all tanks full.

I guess I forgot to add a point to my previous post. In addition to being able to stay down at 15ft with no gas in your tanks, your wing needs to be virtually empty, as well. That's important.

Double HP100 hold 16lb of 32%. So worst case, you will be 16lb over weighted. Can you swim up from 100ft? I dont think your fundie instructor will require you to make a change. Personally, I will take a more conservative route. I will go with AL plate and 4lb weight belt.

Double HP100 hold 16lb of 32%. So worst case, you will be 16lb over weighted. Can you swim up from 100ft?

In Fundies we were told that realistically you can't swim up more than 10 lbs.

But since OP is diving dry, there is indeed redundant buoyancy, so it should be fine. I'm diving a similar setup, so fingers crossed :wink:

maybe less important but if you have a double rig with 2 backup lights, canister, 6cf tank, and all other stuff, it could be useful to have it float by itself (when all tanks are full) in case you have to ditch it at the surface (or have the rig in the water first and don it then). Maybe unlikely events but who knows.

With a HP100 and Halcyon 40 wing, it's getting close with a steel plate, and may drive the adoption of ditchable weigths as well (or switch SS plate to AL+belt as mentioned)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom