focus light or no focus light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timthefish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
is anyone having trouble getting focus with an xz 1 in dark conditions? i dive mainly in the shallows in cold water diving, but have a couple of 40m dives coming up and wondered if i'll need a focus light

I took the suggestion of Scott and team at Blue Water Photo and bought the Light & Motion Sola 800 and I'm thrilled I did. It does triple duty: focus light, dark water dive light, and video light. Astonishingly powerful for such a tiny bugger - and a great addition to the rig.

I would say it's essential at that depth. I have used a handheld dive torch at a pinch, but a proper focus light such as the Sola is way better.

Focus lights are essential. Even in clear waters, you'll be amazed at the ability of your camera to focus faster.

Is there a consensus about the best place / way to mount them?

I only have one handle / strobe at the moment so to keep the rig as streamlined as possible I'm thinking I will add a ball-mount to the housing. But is the screw-in mount or the cold shoe mount recommended, or doesn't it matter?

---------- Post Merged at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Is there a consensus about the best place / way to mount them?

I only have one handle / strobe at the moment so to keep the rig as streamlined as possible I'm thinking I will add a ball-mount to the housing. But is the screw-in mount or the cold shoe mount recommended, or doesn't it matter?

FWIW...
My thinking has been to keep it as close to/inline with the lens as possible, but still able to get it on close macro subjects. I like the idea of illuminating the part of the object that's being focused-on. The ball and clamp mounts look to me like they put the focus light so high that they're shining on top of the subject as much as the "front". Think of it like shooting something back in a hole or under an overhang.
Disclaimer (beyond the FWIW): Having never tried any setups other than my own, I could be overthinking it and not know any better...

well what i can tell you is... get one asap...

this is my story, i was in a fling this weekend on the texas flower gardes, the previous night i took the camera out for charging.. the next day i went into the water and SUPRISE i forgot to pull the flash from my XZ1, so no strobe and it was a dive at 7:15 am so no SUN... i manage to get something out using my focus light...

P9150678.jpgP9150651.jpg

I'm looking to add a focus light to my xz-1 right now and I dive only tropical waters.... need it to get the AF to really do it's job when shooting macro.

Initially thought of getting something inexpensive for now like the nano focus torch but the more I look the more the price goes up.... thoughts have been the laluz 800, i-torch mini (just not sure I want to rotate for off/on) then sola 500 (but want red filter and not sure I like the idea of not being able to change batteries if I"m on a boat doing 4-5 dives before heading back to land.

Would enjoy hearing back with pros and cons from those that have used any of these lights.... or other suggestions. I definitely have decided NOT to go over the $300 point since I also have to add the cold shoe adaptor , etc. :)

Definitely want to keep it small since all my diving means leaving the US...

Leaving for my next trip the beginning of October so need to get an order in soon....

Back
Top Bottom