Actual youngest sidemount diver - sorry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason-Hs your dad seen this thread? Maybe he has some advise for you as well?

I’m very proud of my achievements, but there are plenty more people with much “greater” achievements. I don’t lose sleep over it, I try not to “toot my own horn” about what I’ve done, I just enjoy being myself.

There is always a bigger fish.

The smaller the fish, the bigger it thinks it is.

The bigger the fish, the more it knows that there are still larger fish out there.

Jason-Hs your dad seen this thread? Maybe he has some advise for you as well?
He has and understands that I tried to apologize for some random person trolling and that I never intended for this to be blown up into something that wasn't just an apology.

---------- Post Merged at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:11 PM ----------

i have to say that if i did not know this was a guy i would say it was a girl. the only thing that says guy is teh deep seated eye sockets. other thatn that the but waist and chest says girl.
As I said this thread is an apology and wasn't meant to be blown up into anything more than an apology. And also I would love if I wasn't one of the youngest trained so that more youth would dive more in different configs

---------- Post Merged at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:11 PM ----------

I'd be happier If I was not one of the youngest to dive SM and the age requirement was 12. I only dive sidemount because of back issues and this was an apology. I'm still sorry for what the other guy said no matter what, I only said my age because someone asked before that I could have been 14 years 11 months and 30 days.

Jason... you do have a right to feel proud of your achievements.

However, it's not wise to let any sense of self-accomplishment develop into an ego-state that assumes superiority. For every person who knows 'less' than you, there are 10 who know 'more'.

It is especially important to differentiate between critique of equipment, procedures etc... and casting judgement on an individual. Your earlier posts got the balance wrong in that respect.

One thing you will learn is that most recreational divers are unused to the concept of constructive criticism of their diving/gear etc. To do so, in that context, often causes offense or a defensive reaction from the 'subject'. However, in the technical/cave diving community, such behavior is understood and accepted. If done right.. in a positive way... it is how we develop and improve our approach to advanced diving as a community. Our circumstances are different - so to are our approaches.

You are exposed to that technical/cave mindset - and I understand that you view other divers from a critical perspective. That is part of your learning process. Just be sure to concentrate on what matters - the diving, not the person. Accept what you are taught, but retain an open-mind. Question rather than accept. Avoid a dogmatic mindset. Always strive to seek out and understand alternative approaches. You need not agree with an alternative - but understand (at a technical level) that there is often a validated approach behind it. Bear in mind that your views...and approaches may vary over time. What you disagree with now... may be an approach you consider in the future. Often, we reject with things because we don't truly understand them.

Last, but not least, always strive to contribute positively. We study and critique for our own learning... not to control the development of others. If we are negative in our approach, that becomes a negative factor in how we develop.

reading your comments just reminded me of something. my "diving mentor" is a good bit younger than me and has far far more experience in the water than i will have over the next several years. i have known her for nearly 3 years and just recently found out she is the youngest female that TDI has ever certified as a tech diver. what makes it a more of a big deal is someone else told me that. she has never spoken of it and i asked her why she didnt tell me. her answer was that it wasnt worth talking about.

And she likely would have never mentioned it. The only reason I knew was because multiple other people told me.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom