Weeki Wachee Springs dive with Beach City Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JesperS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Saturday morning myself and my 13 year old son met Dawn and Mike from Beach City Scuba at the entrance to Weeki Wachee Springs State Park for a fun guided dive.

This trip served many purposes for us. We're newly certified, so a calm place to practice some skills, continue familiarizing ourselves with our gear, and work on our buoyancy was welcome. Especially important as we're off to Key Largo in a few weeks.

It gave me a reason to test my wetsuit :)

It also served as our introduction to diving in Florida's springs, which I had a feeling we would fall in love with. I believe it is also our closest divable spring at about 2:15 from our house.

I was also testing out my newly acquired GoPro Dive Housing (verdict, totally worth it).

And finally, it was an excuse to go diving :)

----

Weeki Wachee is the world-famous home of the Mermaid Show, performed in the spring in front of safety windows in a sunken ampitheatre. At some point in the past, open diving was allowed, but has since been converted to a State Park, and currently only allows divers who come with an approved dive shop.

That's how we came across the lovely folks at Beach City Scuba. Our schedules worked out, the date was set, and we were on our way.

Mike wouldn't be diving with us, as he was battling some sinus issues and was trying to recuperate in time for their Bonaire trip (have fun guys!)

Dawn was our guide for the day, and she was great!

The spring itself was beautiful, and the water even clearer than my imagination had let me believe. Unfortunately, it's not quite a natural environment as there are plenty of hoses and junk for the mermaid show in there.

With that said, we got a close look at the first magnitude spring, saw lots of turtles (though Dawn claims there wasn't many...to us it was!) and fishies, schools of mullet, sheepshead, bass, and who knows what else.

Since it's shallow (we maxed out at 38 feet) we were able to stay down as long as my son could take it in the wetsuit which didn't fit quite right, which was about an hour. It's fairly small, so I think an hour was enough time anyways.

After the dive, Dawn watched us perform a poor facsimile of an S-Drill, then they helped us get all of our gear back to our car. To a fault they were super nice, helpful, friendly and likeable folks. I anticipate that we'll dive with them again soon!

After the dive, we enjoyed some of what the rest of the state park has to offer, including the short river cruise and the mermaid show. We were lucky enough to catch the monthly "Mermaids of Yesteryear", the youngest performer clocked in at 57! And one just had a hip replacement! They were a hoot, and you could tell they loved being back in the water.

Plenty of pictures are up at www.facebook.com/beachcityscuba and I'm gonna see if I can get the video embedded below. If it doesn't work, here is the link to YouTube: http://youtu.be/EAW_JfYMDCQ

Thanks for reading!

And if you are curious, 95% of the time the camera was on my headband, I only took it of and went handheld for a little while.

Part two is up, and it is shorter, though it contains no diving, other than a few stillshots.

Just what you will see at the rest of the park, animal show, river cruise, water park, and of course, the mermaid show. We were lucky enough to catch the "Mermaids of Yesteryear" show.

Jesper and Anakin at Weeki Wachee State Park - Part 2 - YouTube

Thanks again to Beach City Scuba, we had a blast!

Attachments

• Weeki_Smile.jpg
    Weeki_Smile.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 927
Thanks for posting this!! It's been a looong time since I was there--possible grandchildren trip for us sometime soon.:)>)

This place would definitely be right up the alley for little ones, especially girls. Glad you guys liked!

Another half hour north is Crystal River and 3 sisters springs.
Rainbow springs is great for kids as well. Nice drift dive.

Got a Crystal River manatee snorkel encounter planned for November and the Rainbow River drift is on the short list too, likely to be done before the end of the year. I picked up Amazon.com: Diving Guide to Underwater Florida, 11th Edition (9781878348395): Ned DeLoach: Books a while back, and have marked a ton of spots for us to explore over the next year or so.

Next up is Key Largo for a long weekend, starting next Friday afternoon!

You are using American Pro Dive no? great op cannot recommend them more.
You can do both in two days thru them.

Just a warning.. snowbird season starts around thanksgiving up here. sigh...
Traffic is simply worse than bumper cars. They are old, and they drive. :shakehead:

Sometimes you can pick up a drift dive on the Chassahowitzka River.

Bought a Groupon a while back for the manatee tour, so I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake to do that. And our snowbird season starts around the same time, though I have to say that it doesn't look like they went home this year. I'll look into them when we get ready to schedule the rainbow drift, thanks for the tip.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom