What do you expect from a dive site briefing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan G

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A frequent topic on the board is the role of a DM and captain. These roles and responsibilities vary from region to region or perhaps even more locally than that.

So what I am asking is: In a specific place, what do you expect or desire out of the briefing given at a dive site? I would like to learn what, as a diver who wants to be sure I am always taking responsibility for my own safety, I should expect out of the briefing. It also occurs to me that the briefing can provide some good insight into the quality and safety consciousness of a dive operation.

For this thread to be productive, I suggest first stating the region to which you are referring and then the expectations.

Basically, where is the place with the most life or the most interesting things - i.e., the bearing or the direction. Expected current and depths. Max time they want us down there (if there is one).

Mostly the first two, because my buddy and I can handle a detailed dive plan ourselves.

Just to be clear, are you asking about a Site Briefing or Dive Briefing? To me they are not necessarily one in the same.

Briefly: Location: anywhere but home (US, Carib. charters, etc.):
Dive briefing: Safety procedures (routines, O2 kit, etc.). Boat rules & procedures (entries, exits, recalls, length of dive time wise, the works).
Site briefing: depth, current, anchor & other lines. What's down there. Where are the shells? (not likely to be given).

For me it's going to be California Coast both shore and boat diving.

Shore diving: The general terrain structure, how deep can I expect and where, where are the pinnacles, usual currents or predicted currents, any other tidal or sea condition information that can affect the dive.

Boat diving: Same as above except added boat protocols.

Critter information is a bonus but not necessary for me. I like to find them on my own.

Don't think this is location specific, but it is more for boat diving. Any shore diving I have done has been without a briefing.

Site briefing - a rough sketch of the site showing depth and features - north - current flow and boat location. Be it on paper, a white board, sand, hand waving in the air....

Dive limitations, if any - for example we have a site here that if you aren't out of the water in slack you will be taken for a serious and possibly dangerous ride - and the limit is somewhere around 45 minutes.

Specific dive instructions for this particular dive i.e. go down the anchor line, or this is a drift dive do a blue water ascent

Dive briefing - specific rules for the boat (length of dive, no deco, max depth etc), location of safety equipment, recall signal, procedures for entering and exiting the water for that particular boat, signals the boat wants from divers for pickup, OK and emergency

Just to be clear, are you asking about a Site Briefing or Dive Briefing? To me they are not necessarily one in the same.

I am thinking about when I am diving with a dive operation and before the dive, there is typically a talk given about the dive site we are drifting above or moored to. I think shore diving briefings are definitely a part of the discussion, and we still must be cognoscente of the possibility that those may be different in different dive locales, as well.

I think there is a huge difference between an essentially 'led' dive where a DM/Guide will take you down and basically navigate the site for you, and a dive where you are basically diving as an independent pair once you are off the boat.

For a guided dive where the DM/Guide is taking the responsibility the briefing should include buddy pairings, where 'buddy' checks will be done (on boat, or in water before decent', and I then expect to know the dive plan, for example how the descent/ascent will be managed, is it on a line or free, what to expect to find - depth, visibility and other conditions such as current and so on. I would then expect the briefing to cover signals to be used, the turn point in the dive, i.e time or tank pressure level which will trigger the start of the return/ascent. Finally I would expect a brief on emergency procedures, for lost diver, and so on, and any emergency recall signals we might receive. - sorry I set high standards, and this is what I would brief.

For unguided dives where the boat is basically a 'taxi' to the site I would expect site specific information such as depth, current, local factors or features, and maximum time expected back on boat. Gas management is my responsibility, as is dive management for descent/ascent and navigation, but I would expect to be told any recall or emergency procedures.

I now regularly dive sites in the 60-90 foot range from a boat where we are unguided, and it is only fair on the boatman to discuss and agree return times and how he can communicate to us to come back if he wants/needs us to.

Regards - P

I don't think my expectations of a briefing on a dive boat are different in different places.

I want a boat briefing, on procedures: Where do we put things? When to dress and gear up? How are we getting into the water, and how are we getting out? Roll call procedures? Safety equipment on the boat (oxygen, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, radio, floats, lifejackets). Recall signal? Important stuff like where are the heads, and what can you put in them?

For a site briefing, I want the stuff that's going to set parameters for the dive. Is it a drift or anchored boat? What's the topography (reef, wreck, wall, muck)? Expected depths and profile (square vs. multilevel)? Is there a dive time limit? Any special hazards of the site -- current, surge, boat traffic? Any specific tips for finding the interesting critters? And finally, how will dive termination be handled? Do all divers have to stay with the guide, and will the group surface when the first diver hits gas limits (not my favorite kind of dive op!) or will buddy pairs surface, allowing other divers to use their gas?

Every boat excursion should include a captains breifing about the vessel, the safety features, the protoclas for emergencies, and location of first aid kit, head, and any other necessaries or amenities. Before each dive there should be a briefing that includes a lot more than where the best wildlife is. The briefing should include the dive site topography and conditions: depth, walls, features, hazards if any, water temperature, current, if any , surge, and the like. The briefing should establish the maximum depth and time for the dive.
It should also establish air consumption communication method, buddy proximity rules, group rules about staying together, if applicable, and any other policies and limits involving the dive. Of great importance is communicating if any of the people on the boat are doing their own profile, with prior notice and permission, and won't necessarily be with the group. That needs to be known, and clearly communicated among all divers aboard. When I am the DM, I will brief on interesting features and wildlife divers may be interested in, as well as hazardous wild life divers must avoid. I will emphasize buddy proximity and awareness, staying off the reef, not touching anything, and not crowding or bumping other divers to get a view of something ( all of which can be problems ). I brief on "getting lost " protocols and buddy separation, but then I emphasize prevention of getting lost, prevention of buddy separation. I will also share compass headings to and from certain geographic features, and always the compass heading to shore. Thoroughness of briefings varies alot, I know. But I have indicated what I do and what I think all DM's should do. Now, if it is a group that regularly dives the site, have done so recently, and know each others skills well, the briefing may be more focused on current conditions and less on general information, but there should still be a briefing in all the areas presented.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom