Lessons learned from first time boat dives in Monterey Bay, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading this thread makes me realize I really need to get down to Monterey and get on a boat.
Monterey conditions are nice and the boats are great.

Going to Monterey is a relief from some of the conditions we have to endure up here on the north coast.

Going to Southern California is my version of a poor mans tropical dive vacation.

Yes.
Yes.
And yes.

And SoCal is just FUN!

Come on down and play!

~~~~
Claudette

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
--Albert Einstein

Reading this thread makes me realize I really need to get down to Monterey and get on Peter's boat.
Monterey conditions are nice and the boat is running great.

Going to Monterey is a relief from some of the conditions we have to endure up here on the north coast.

Going to Southern California is my version of a poor mans tropical dive vacation.
Fixed it for you! :D

Of course we can also launch at many local dives sites, and I am not far out of having hoist capabilities :cool2:

Fixed it for you! :D

Of course we can also launch at many local dives sites, and I am not far out of having hoist capabilities :cool2:

I have the technology you know.

---------- Post Merged at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:14 AM ----------

SoCal is just FUN!
Come on down and play!

~~~~
Claudette
I plan to, soon.
Jon Davies has a campsite at Leo for the lobster opener weekend, I can't wait!
Then I might get on a boat to anywhere (it doesn't matter) because I love to people watch and I miss all the different people I meet on charters.
I want to see a giant bsb.
I might even have to do Vet's because I need to see what all the hub bub is about.
And then if I can swing it I'm thinking of dropping down to SD and doing the Yukon.

you can start the PADI DM class with 40 dives. 40 dives is just enough to think you're "really good" and not enough to have found out that you're still an accident looking for a place to happen.

40 Dives for a "Dive Master"!?!? That's ludicrous! Shoot, *I* have nearly that many, and I have mastered very little about diving.

- Bill

40 Dives for a "Dive Master"!?!? That's ludicrous! Shoot, *I* have nearly that many, and I have mastered very little about diving.

- Bill

To be fair, it's 40 to start the DM course and 60 to finish.

Still, I think that it's way too low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Who's going to break the news that an instructor only needs 100 dives? And only one of those dives has to be over 60 feet?

Who's going to break the news that an instructor only needs 100 dives? And only one of those dives has to be over 60 feet?

This is why I encourage everyone to ask very detailed questions about/to their instructors. There is nothing wrong with asking about credentials with an instructor. If you feel like your instructor isn't experienced enough, simply ask if you can dive with a more seasoned instructor

This is why I encourage everyone to ask very detailed questions about/to their instructors. There is nothing wrong with asking about credentials with an instructor. If you feel like your instructor isn't experienced enough, simply ask if you can dive with a more seasoned instructor

What should we ask for? I mean, what would people consider "good" credentials for an instructor to teach OW thru, say, Master Scuba Diver or something. Is there a different set of credentials for cold water?

When I go out on a dive to somewhere I have never been before, especially if it's cold water, we usually ask for a dive guide. What credentials should we seek in that situation?

Thanks!

Bill

What should we ask for? I mean, what would people consider "good" credentials for an instructor to teach OW thru, say, Master Scuba Diver or something. Is there a different set of credentials for cold water?

When I go out on a dive to somewhere I have never been before, especially if it's cold water, we usually ask for a dive guide. What credentials should we seek in that situation?

Thanks!

Bill

The kinds of things I always look for in a guide/instructor is simply their level of experience about the site or the skills you will be going over. Someone may be a very competent diver themselves, but not know very much about a certain dive site. In that case they would not be an ideal guide. I just try to feel out the people working in a new shop.

Honestly, there isn't really a list of questions to ask, or a laundry list of credentials...when I am new to an area I try my best to hang around the shop as much as possible and just get to know the employees and the divers. By getting to know everyone it's easier to catch onto different people's strengths and weaknesses. I hope that helps :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Bill, you have put your finger on a problem with the diving world. The people who are leading are frequently barely out of follower status. I think the best you can do is ask how long the person has been functioning as a guide/instructor, and how long and frequently they have been diving in the environment where you are asking them to help you.

To be brutally honest with you, a great many dive professionals would not pass the entry-level class for the agency I work with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom