Is the late forties too late to train to become a divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think your age is a problem, but probably you need to do more research into what is required to work in wildlife conservation, and what becoming a DM means - I think you'll find the 2 have nothing to do with each other. And at least learn to dive before considering becoming a DM. Even if it's a long time dream, you may discover you don't really like it, have trouble with your ears, or whatever. It happens.

If you are actually looking at some specific conservation opportunity that requires a card saying you're a DM (which seems unlikely) then a "zero to hero" program might suffice, but if you actually wanted to work as a DM then it's probably not the best way to go about it. Plus as mentioned, frequently working divemasters are actually instructors (not to mention boat captains, mechanics, linguists, and all sorts of other things to be marketable, and it's not exactly a path to riches.)

Hi
Thanks everyone lots of things to think about there.
My main aim was to give myself a level of certification to work in wildlife conservation.
Its a very competitive field and anything I can do to enhance my employability the better.
I am not overly bothered about earning a fortune, but there is paid work for divers even if its only room board and pocket money.
I am more interested in it resulting in helping me to attain my goal which is to travel and work in wildlife conservation

I started at age 55 and finished 1 1/2 years later at 57. Figure to do, what, 3-5 years of DMing? The only physical problem I had was the 400 m/yd. swim test. That was mostly due to having not really swam at all since HS swim team and having to get my form back in shape (breathing, strokes, etc.--although getting MY form in better shape also helped). It's somewhat physical (and definately mental) work to DM, but nothing someone my age can't handle. Even lugging 25 tanks around.

Not too late as far as age goes. I was certified to dive at age 44, and received my initial DM certification at age 47. I do want to say that a program that has you go from initial certification to DM in a short period, even if you are doing a lot of dives, is not something of which I am a fan. It's fine if you just want the card and the cool shirts and hats, but if you intend to work as a DM assisting instructors or leading certified divers, in my opinion you need to have some fairly substantial "real world" diving experience, and better still, substantial experience in a variety of conditions: cold water, warm water, good viz, low viz, fresh, salt, current, shallow, deep, shore, boat, walls, etc. I found that having a lot of non-training dives before I started the DM class gave me a back ground and frame of reference for what I was learning, and applying. Moreover, "demonstration quality" skills are essential, and developing to that level as a diver may take a while. Crawl before you walk. Learn to be a good diver before you attempt to learn to be a dive professional. Whatever route you go, though, know that your age is no barrier. Good luck, and have fun!
DivemasterDennis

HELL NO!!!! GO FOR IT. I JUST COMPLETED MY DM AT Utila Dive Center in Utila Honduras. I am 52. One of the best experiences of my life. Forget the number and just do it! No way u can ever regret doing it but almost certain u will regret NOT doing it! Any questions let me know!!!!

I was OW certified at age 49, DM certified at age 51 and instructor certified at age 52 ... so I don't think age is a concern.

However, if you want to apply your diving skills toward conservation, the most meaningful thing you can do is take it slowly enough to actually learn how to dive before becoming a DM. From what I've observed, the zero-to-hero courses rarely achieve that end ... most people cannot absorb the curriculum fast enough to take care of the little things ... like learning good diving technique and how to make good decisions while in the water. The value of in-water experience cannot be overstated when it comes to leadership positions such as DM.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Of those responding, when you got your DM cert at 35-60 years old, how many of you work full time in the industry? Part time? Just did it as a whim for the training and the designation?

I think it's a fine thing to do at any age. At some point you should ask yourself whether lugging 20-30 tanks around daily, spending time bent over a compressor at a fill station and doing physical, manual labor probably won't appeal to me. Not sure there's a specific age limit on it... but it's not easy work.

I got mine to improve my own skills. I don't ever intend to work as a professional, but I have helped other divers on trips. I also have my own boat in Mexico and it makes me more confident to take others out to dive with me. It's also one of the reasons I got my stress and rescue certification after only 13 dives--to improve my skills and diving ability.

I did mine in Roatan in my late forties and I kicked the 20 year olds' asses in the water endurance and swimming tests. That part was pretty fun....

If you are doing the DM internship as a way to combine a very inexpensive dive vacation with a certain amount of grunt work, and have the opportunity to work with good instructors, it can be a very positive and rewarding experience. I probably did almost 100 dives through the 5 weeks or so I was there. I'm not so sure I'd want to do it at a land-locked dive shop where you're spending most of your time in the pool and in the shop.

As several people have mentioned, the zero-to-hero part is not so good. I saw some people do that in Roatan and while some did okay, others basically learned the PADI routines while not really becoming excellent divers. It might be better for you to try your plan in a very inexpensive location so that you could spend a full year, or maybe a couple of several-month trips, going through the courses and getting lots of experience diving in between each one. The idea of some technical dive training is also excellent; as long as you have the time needed to practice the skills and acquire the experience.

The physical training part is a breeze for anyone in reasonable shape. This might be an unpopular stance, but if someone is not physically fit enough to dive, it's probably an indication that the person is really in need of some fitness just to enjoy an active lifestyle.

Have fun, and even if it gets pricey it's still a far less expensive midlife crisis than either A) a shiny new red porsche, or B) a relationship with someone much younger, or C) quitting your insurance job to play in a punk rock band.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom