Weh Heh, My wife's coming too!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your good wishes! It is a very easy shore dive we are doing - maximum 15 meters (mostly 8 - 10) with no current to speak of. She should be fine!

RICHinNC:
HUH????? you really have me confused now kim
If you ever get married, it seems you have a lot to learn. :eyebrow:

You do have a great looking family there. Another 10 years and you'll be too busy chasing the teenage boys away to dive, so better get out there an ddive now. :wink:

Dive report!
Well it didn't go completely according to plan - but she still enjoyed herself!
We picked up her new 5mm wetsuit in the morning and drove to the site. The last time Kaori dove was in Malasia in a 3mm shorty 4 years ago. This meant that she needed a bit more weight for this dive. We put on our gear and I adjusted her straps for her on her new Transpac II harness. I warned her that because it was new the webbing might get a bit loose after it had been wet for a while - and to keep a check on it. Where we were diving is used a lot by local schools and there is a chain on the bottom leading out to an underwater bouy at about 5 meters. I told her that we'd swim out to the marker and then stop and check her gear and that she was comfortable etc. If everything was ok we'd head a bit further out to an area with some large rock formations and bottom of around 10/11 meters - in all about a 250 meter swim. I told her that we'd go very slowly. She was OK in the water and we set off. She was a bit out of practice - using her arms a lot - but seemed to be doing OK. At one point she indicated that her gauges were clipped off on the wrong D-ring so I changed it - and we carried on. Visibility was great for the site, and we were seeing lots of stuff - different fish - a large grouper/small scorpion - even a couple I'd never seen at this site before. I found one beautiful nudi (first nudi I'd seen on this site). We arrived at the rocks and as I checked to see if she was OK - she suddenly indicated that she wanted to go up. She started to kick for the surface so I grabbed her arm and took us up slowly. When we reached the surface she seemed a little panicky and when I asked her what was wrong she said that she was exhausted and could hardly move her legs anymore - she said she had on too much weight and also had had problems with her bouyancy. She wanted to call the dive and go back, I agreed but as we both had 150 bar in our tanks I told her that it would be less effort to head back slowly U/W rather than do a surface swim back. I reminded her that she could use a little air in her wing if she was too heavy. She wasn't too keen but agreed. We dropped back down and even before we got to the bottom she'd started off swimming - in the wrong direction! I stopped her, took her to the bottom and showed her my compass. Once we'd established that the correct direction was the opposite way we headed back. I could see she was very tired and a little worried that she might panic so we went very slowly. We reached the exit point and shallow water where she was too tired to even remove her own fins. I took them off for her and she very slowly stood up and walked up the beach to our gear boxes. When we got out of our gear and she'd rested for a bit we did a post dive debrief. I told her that it was quite to be expected that she was a little rusty - and that with a thicker wetsuit/new BCD and more weights to deal with I wasn't surprised that she'd got tired so quickly. I told her she'd better book some training time in the local gym - and we laughed about it. She enjoyed her dive luckily, and had been surprised by how much we saw.
Conclusion: She's a little rusty and we have a few gear adjustments to make. She needs to get a bit fitter! BUT - I've got my buddy back!!

Glad it went well. Just getting back up to speed after a winter off is challenge enough, not surprising it's a bit challenging after 4 years. Some of the muscles used for finning, don't get a lot of use day to day. She might want to review her dive manual again and refresh her memory with ascent rates and such. I was discussing gas laws with our youngest this afternoon, he starts his OW class this week. I could remember all the gas laws and most of their names, but not necessarily which name went with which law.
What are typical water temps where you're diving?

Yesterday it was 23C - actually very comfortable. As the summer gets warmer it'll probably rise to about 27C. Winter time it drops to about 12C.

Never heard the bit about breast feeding keeping a lady from diving.. my wife's been diving since our son was 3 months old and just did her last dive for a while since she's 8 weeks preggy again :)

CBulla:
Never heard the bit about breast feeding keeping a lady from diving.. my wife's been diving since our son was 3 months old and just did her last dive for a while since she's 8 weeks preggy again :)
Many congratulations to the two of you!! As far as I'm aware there are two main reasons why ladies shouldn't dive while they are still breastfeeding (but I'm no doctor so this topic might merit a new thread in the medical forum!!). The first reason is that the pressure can send the wrong messages to the body and dry up the milk supply. The second is that there is an inceased risk of a nipple infection (in my wife's case her main reason as she was already rather prone to these small but painful infections). I don't know (and I suspect not) that these are certain facts for everyone - it's maybe just a case of added risk - which in my wifes case wasn't acceptable, (her decision not mine). Actually I WILL ask the doctors in the other forum.

Thanks Kim! :)

Her OB and the Lactation consultant/nurse both seemed to be happy when she announced her intentions to dive 3 months after birth, which made my wife happy since diving is one of her favorite things to do :)

Well - you've made me curious - so I started a new thread in the medical forum. I just hope I'm not going to find out I been waiting all this time for nothing. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom