How do YOU keep fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

normally I'm just a workout in the gym kind of guy but recently completed Insanity and it COMPLETELY changed my workout lifestyle. It got me in ridiculously good shape and was actually a lot of fun too

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

I was running 3.25 several times a week but I have gotten lazy. I do mountainbike but not on a scheldule. Mostly I drive around for 9 hours at a time and randomly jump out and chase kids half my age until I can't see them any longer or they are caught. Awesome workout -- Even better if you wear heavy boots and 26# of stuff on you.

---------- Post Merged at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Serioulsy though I need to start the running again. During Mini Season I dove with a early twenties DM who had free diving fins on. He shot around like a tordeo then up current pointed at a Lobster whereas I had to swim up current 1.5 ~2 kts often using the claw technique to aid propulsion. At one point I had the Reg turned up (Ag Lgnd LX) and had sweat dripping inside my mask... I could use some cardio and leg strenghting.. that 150# little spear shaft of a kid practically cavatated swimming around...

Being a welder/ironworker by trade, I lift enough heavy steel all day at work to make me stay away from working out.

I guess the only exercise that I get is from diving, unless doing pushups on top of my girlfriend counts?

Strength and fitness are very different things. I'm pretty strong ... especially for someone my age ... but every time I get on the stairmaster at the gym, after about 15-20 minutes I have to admit to myself that I'm not really all that fit.

Diving isn't a very good form of exercise ... not unless you're shore diving and lugging all that equipment up an incline of at least a couple hundred yards afterward ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am a huge fitness buff and do a lot - running, biking, swimming (I race triathlons as well as running races), plus a LOT of home-based fitness programs. Someone upthread mentioned Insanity - I'm a coach for Beachbody (P90X, Insanity, Body Beast, Les Mills Pump, Turbo Jam, among others) and have done most all of their programs so I know them for my customers. I love the convenience of working out at home and with minimal equipment you can get in a GREAT workout with a well structured program. If anyone is interested in talking about what Beachbody programs exist, this is my real passion and would be more than happy to chat about it - feel free to PM me anytime.

Run. Normally between 5 and 8 Km with a 20lb Sack on my back. 3 times a week.

After the run I do 4 reps of 20 press ups. 40 Sit ups. 20 Pull ups. 50 Lunges. 20 Tricep dips. I know longer have any weights so I use the elastic training band also.

I also Climb a couple nights a week. Generally Bouldering which focuses more on explosive strength rather than endurance. I offset this by the above work out.

I go to the gym 3 days per week (mostly) and do a mix of Elliptical, weights, jogging, cycling etc... over 1.5 hrs and have noticed it has helped me heaps in regard to my diving.
Just getting my gear ready, tank set up (lifting) etc... is soooo much easier since I've added weights to my routine. I don't feel like such a weakling next to the men. :blinking:

When weather permits, I'm on my road bike, 25-30 miles at training pace 5-6x a week. Core and upper body work on the ball and rubber bands.

In the winter, elliptical machine, spinning (simulating the road bike workout), and downhill skiing, plus upper body circuit training.

Last stress echo test, doc put my exercise capacity at 1.2x normal. Still carrying more, uh, "low density" tissue than I should.

Forgot to mentioned; never ever smoke.

It's funny you say that because I was just asking the other day what is it with divers they seem to be a demographic that has more smokers than not. Here in Turkey it's hard to find a place on a boat where people are not smoking - makes me ill!

---------- Post Merged at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I drink a lot of beer and watch a lot of sports on TV. :wink:

Keeping up the standard. Love it! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom