What constitutes a loggable "dive"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just put on my gear and stand under the shower for a few minutes when I need a logbook fix.

As many have said, you can log whatever you choose to log. But, to answer your specific question - for purposes of 'continuing education' - from a PADI perspective, here are some relevant items from the Instructor Manual definitions provided at the beginning of the 'Training Standards' section:

Logged dives: To credit a a logged dive for course requirements, the dive takes place in open water and specific information about the dive (date, time, depth, location, etc.) is recorded.

Open water dives: Open water is a body of water significantly larger than a swimming pool offering conditions typical of a natural body of water encountered by divers.

My LDS wants DMC to have 40 dives, so though I might never do it, I just want to consciously focus my early time underwater with a goal in mind vs just do stuff willy-nilly. And this (ie quoted text, trimmed for efficacy) is what I was looking for, so thanks for taking the time to pull it out of the manual and posting it. :)

Every time I go to work I hop back and forth through the MRI machine s few times and log each one as a cave dive.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I log anything as a dive that;
1. Is not in a pool
2. Is more than 15 minutes and/or 15 feet
3. Any other dive that is not in a pool if its aborted for whatever reason. This to keep track of whatever "incidents" I come across and how it was solved.

Dont think I have anything less than 40 minutes in my logbooks unless its aborted though..

Back
Top Bottom