USED DPV - where to look

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Possibly interested in a used Gavin, or other deep (max 180-200') depth capable scooter. I looked at a few new scooter prices and just cant get myself to drop 4-6K on a scooter. I have read in several forums that used gavins can be a good choice and readily available for a fair price - but I cannot find any. Suggestions?

How about an X-Scooter Sierra? PM me if interested...

DIR Diving also.

they turn up fairly frequently on the deco stop, less so on cave divers forum. Gavins are good scooters, even the old ones (PVC models) are often in great shape (even if they are buggered cosmetically). They're easy to fix and parts are cheap and easy to find.

I have a Hollis H-160 for sale . 2yrs old, about 40 dives on it. Has aluminum hull, (depth rated to 650ft). Asking $2300. Has new motor & electronics. Just took it out for a spin yesterday, worked flawlessly. Has some cosmetic scratches, but other than that, basically a new scooter. Has 3X3 headlight on it. Weighs about 50 lbs. Here are more stats on it: Hollis Gear: H-160 .

I have a Gavin 26 with good batteries, and with an 18 body with barely used and maintained batteries. I also have a good charger for it. It has a foam and a wooden carrier for storage and travelling. 2k for all plus shipping from 70458. Scooter w/wooden base is 100 lbs. 18 tube, batteries and bulkhead is 40 lbs.

Attachments

• Gavin 1.jpg
    Gavin 1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 476
  • Gavin 2.jpg
    Gavin 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 332
  • Gavin 3.jpg
    Gavin 3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Possibly interested in a used Gavin, or other deep (max 180-200') depth capable scooter. I looked at a few new scooter prices and just cant get myself to drop 4-6K on a scooter. I have read in several forums that used gavins can be a good choice and readily available for a fair price - but I cannot find any. Suggestions?

Here is an AV-1 on the local Craigslist. I know nothing more than what is here:

Apollo AV-1 Diving Scooter

I wouldnt go with an AV1 if you're for serious about deep scooter diving.

My suggestion is to never buy one without checking with the mfgr first. That's the only way you're going to know if it's been back to the mfgr for being flooded, etc, and the mfgr will have any work record on the unit. It's a good way to create a relationship with the mfgr, too.

Also, the mfgr will usually know of units that will be coming on the market before anyone else knows about them, or may have taken one in on a trade they will sell you. Huge advantages of buying a unit from the mfgr, too, as they will have gone over it carefully.

Obviously the forums work. Put out a wanted to buy notice if you don't see one for sale.

I've been driving one for 10 years and can tell you that: 1. your 1st probably won't be your last, 2. spend the money to get a good "dependable" unit (the longer you own it the less it cost per year), 3. send a used one to the mfgr for a going over (you just need to ship the motor and prop unit to save size & weight).

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom