Minimalist gear setup? (that would double for travel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Post 4: "Most SPGs I've seen have depth gauge in addition to the PSI gauge."
The SPG is the Submersible Pressure Gauge. The depth gauge, and compass are different instruments. You may be calling a console (or a full featured dive computer) an SPG.

This tread give a whole new meaning to Minimalist.

Pete

My tropical travel rig:

freedom plate, oxy 18 lb machV, webbing harness with XS scuba camband pockets
MK 5, converted pilot, balanced adjustable, (5ft primary bungied necklace alternate), 2" spg on 24" hose w/boltsnap
atomic frameless mask, mares full foot fins, no snorkel.
Aeris atmos 2 wrist computer
3mil wetsuit (occasionally 5 mil as well as a hood)
smb/finger spool/small light all of which are stored in a dive rite pouch attached to the freedom plate.
I typically don't carry a compass or a cutting tool unless I think I might need them; if so my shears go in a pouch on the waist belt and the compass clips to a chest D ring.....still looking for a good wrist mount compass.

All of this, plus a spare mask and regulator (one LP hose, one 2nd stage, one 1st stage and a few tools/parts) and my primary light and my clothes, personal gear, and a few books for a week, fits in a duffle bag that weighs about 40 lbs. On a few trips where I've needed to pack for doubles as well I bring an AL full size plate instead of the freedom plate, and an additional wing for doubles (DR rec) and 2 DIN MK10s plus the 7 ft hose and a couple of reels. Still well under 50 lbs.

I agree that this thread is hardly about minimalist diving, more about reasonable travel gear. Minimalist for me would be a freedom plate, no wing, LP72 w/j valve, and a nice RAM.

Minimalism and Jacket BC's have absolutely nothing in common and shouldn't even be used in the same sentence.

Minimalism is a style and a specific practice of diving all by itself.
It's actually a counter culture movement against the constant addition of superflous crap that divers adorn themselves with purchased on impulsive shopping sprees to their LDS's (which make tons of money on superflous crap).

Modern minimalism finds it's roots in vintage diving. To see an example of the vintage gear configurations see the show Sea Hunt or watch the movie Thunderball and you will see how little they used to dive with.
Modern day minimalism follows the same theories as vintage except the gear used is modern, new style regs, new wetsuits, new fins, new style mask, etc.
The basic configuration would be at most (depending on the location, dive profile, and conditions), wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood, tank on either a hard backpack or plate or no plate at all, single second stage or doube hose (if vintage), simple spg or J valve (if vintage), simple weightbelt either rubber or nylon webbed with hard weights, knife either on waiststrap or calf (inside in kelp country), basic rubber fins nothing frilly or convoluted, and the mask that works the best for you, simple wrist compass and a bottom timer or small simple computer on wrist.
If thicker wetsuit are used and the plan is to go fairly deep then a simple compact single tank wing is added like an oxycheq or other narrow donut wing.

That's about it.

No jacket BC's, integrated weights, tank bangers, ankle weights, long hoses, can lights, cords, scooters, air 2's, drysuits, retractors, dinglies, danglies, or added pockets to store even more crap.
I take back drysuits. I used to use a commercial drysuit and used no BC. Once I got my weighting down, all I needed to do was add enough air to the suit to offset the squeeze and it managed to neutralize buoyancy perfectly. However once the suit began needing costly repairs I no longer considered it minimal (cost is part of minimalist) so I don't use it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Zeagle Express Tech (think soft BP/Wing) with a weight belt. I have an SMB attached in a pouch, a backup light, wrist computer (double as watch/depth/timer), compass and a basic reg with SPG. The wetsuit/booties/gloves/hood are dependent on water temp.

I check my gear carefully before any trip, for boat dives I don't pack a save-a-dive kit other than a small o-ring set and a small waterproof box for my phone/wallet/keys. They normally have basic tools on board. For shore diving, I do add a flag and a save-a-dive kit along with a map of the shoreline.

Wow. Without realizing it I am a minimailst diver but my path was economics driven. :)

Wow. Without realizing it I am a minimailst diver but my path was economics driven. :)

If economics was the design philosophy behind dive gear, no wing will ever float all that greed lol!

I figure a minimalist approach (which helps in traveling) meaning a day dive off a boat (which has tanks) in clear water within recreational limits.

-Dive watch w/bezel, wetsuit/booties/gloves/fins/mask/snorkel, single tank on BC with integrated weights, SMB, with a small pocket for a Tec 40 light and Spyderco Salt folding knife, random metal carabiner (as an underwater signal tool to detach from wherever and bang on tank) and gopro with dive housing on a stick?

On boat:
-Mesh bag (which had all your other stuff, except tank) with extra mask strap, fin strap, some o-rings, scuba multi tool thing, snorkel keeper, Afrin, some powerbars, 2L of water, plastic PADI dive table, hat, sunglasses, magic swim towel, ear plugs, sandals, dry bag (sealline 10L) with log book, t-shirt, shorts, underwear.

I would still need to get the BC (I'm considering the Aeris EX Lite), knife and some of the smaller stuff. Not sure about some type of retractable leash for the knife/light.

What do you always have with you?

If I didn't have my sm gear and I wanted something as light as possible just for travel and is twin tank capable I would go for the Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe version with a 35lbs wing.

Zeagle Express Tech 35lbs wing/4 XS Scuba Single Weight Pockets/Dive Rite Thigh Pocket with Daisy Chain/Dive Rite Crotch Strap 2-Inch
Wrist dive comp, wrist compass, Victorinox 4.5" Round Tip Serrated Steak Knife w pouch, Penetrator/Dorcy 220 torch, dive tables, 6' smb, 100m finger spool, Mares wave fins w spring straps or Imersion E:GREEN Open Heel fin, 5mm booties, 3/2mm suit, gloves, Aqualung Micromask/AquaLung Teknika (foldable backup mask) w Neoprene straps, flip flops.

With the exception of the instruments, mask and torch all would go into my barrel bag the rest with clothing, meds, toiletries, shades, towel, spare batteries, mobile and other dry stuff into a 30L drybag.

A mesh bag with a travel laundry bag for when I need to dry stuff while on the go and to separate clean/used clothes.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom