Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron,
I took the last couple of days to read this thread. I learned a lot from all the posts. I have been amazed at how helpful you have been for anyone having a problem, and ever tolerant of those with some harsh criticism. This has further convinced me that purchasing the Cobalt back in June was a good decision. When I was looking at buying the Cobalt I had read several posts and knew that the latest versions of the DC would come with version 1.13 firmware. When I got mine it had version 1.12. I know from your comments that the difference was that back around the beginning of the year there were some part changes. I never saw what those were in the post and was wondering if they were changed to fix an issue or due to other factors. I guess my real question is do I have any reason to care that I got a DC that had been sitting on the shelf a while and is not the most current configuration? Thanks for the great support you have provided the community.

Thanks for the case feedback, I had thought Atomic was getting one together, but other projects must have intervened. Atomic now has a manufacturer's forum on SB- perhaps if case requests were posted there....:D

Atomic Aquatics

Ron

---------- Post Merged at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Ron,
I took the last couple of days to read this thread. I learned a lot from all the posts. I have been amazed at how helpful you have been for anyone having a problem, and ever tolerant of those with some harsh criticism. This has further convinced me that purchasing the Cobalt back in June was a good decision. When I was looking at buying the Cobalt I had read several posts and knew that the latest versions of the DC would come with version 1.13 firmware. When I got mine it had version 1.12. I know from your comments that the difference was that back around the beginning of the year there were some part changes. I never saw what those were in the post and was wondering if they were changed to fix an issue or due to other factors. I guess my real question is do I have any reason to care that I got a DC that had been sitting on the shelf a while and is not the most current configuration? Thanks for the great support you have provided the community.

No concerns. The manufacturer of a component (TI, the battery fuel gauge) changed the design of the part a bit, and we had to migrate to the newer generation parts- they aren't better or worse performance wise, it's just that some data resides in a different spot, and the firmware needed to know where to find it for the Cobalt to function properly. If you Cobalt shipped with 1.12 originally, it's a non issue. But this is why there is a warning (and some preventative measures) to not downgrade your firmware version to one earlier than the Cobalt originally shipped with. Firmware versions after 1.13 know to check for the part version, so can be used in any Cobalt.

Ron

Thanks for the quick response Ron. That was what I was hoping. Nothing beats the Cobalt connected to a T2X for a great diving experience.

Cobalt fell from my work table, now it won't turn on. =-/
Definitely send it in if you can't get it back up- the internals should survive pretty major impacts. It's possible that the battery connection was jarred lose. If you want instructions on how to check that yourself, PM me. Worst case would probably be screen damage, but I wouldn't panic. Contact Atomic, they are very good about this sort of thing.

Ron

There is a product safety recall that is going out for Cobalt computers today, related to the high pressure connector. It concerns only those that were manufactured prior to April, 2012- see the serial number list below. I want to let everyone here know what this is about, so I will cross post this to threads that have discussed the Cobalt.

Basically, Atomic found a few instances where a nut that retains the high pressure sensor had not been sufficiently tightened in assembly. Eventually this could result in the O-ring that seals the sensor to high pressure leaking HP air into the Cobalt's housing, blowing the lens off. If it happened during a dive, the Cobalt would be destroyed, and there would be a small but unstoppable air leak. While this has turned up in only a small number of units, and so far as I know has only happened on the surface, it's obviously a serious concern that warrants checking every Cobalt that could potentially be affected.

Fortunately, it's an easy thing to check for. If the nut isn't tight enough, the QD fitting will protrude a bit too far from the Cobalt's case. Atomic has made simple gauges for dealers to use to quickly determine if a Cobalt has the problem. If not, it will get a new top cover to indicate it has been checked. If it does show evidence of a problem, it will need to go back to the factory to re-torque the fitting. Atomic thinks that will be very rare, but we don't really know until we start checking large numbers.

I'm pasting the official recall notice below.

Ron

IMPORTANT NOTICE! Cobalt Dive Computer Recall

Dear Atomic Aquatics Customer

We are contacting you because we have initiated a recall on certain Cobalt Dive Computers. Although we hope the percentage of units with this problem is small, the defect is serious enough that we feel it is necessary to recall and inspect as many units as possible to ensure customer safety and satisfaction. Fortunately the defect is easy to identify and we hope that you will cooperate with us by returning your Cobalt to either an authorized Atomic Aquatics retailer or to the factory.

Hazard: Improper assembly of the high pressure sensor inside the unit could leak, potentially causing the lens of the computer to blow off suddenly. This could result in personal injury from flying parts; render the computer inoperable and would also create a continuous but slow leak of breathing gas that could require a diver to surface prematurely.

Incidents/Injuries: Atomic Aquatics has received approximately 30 reports of leaks and in some cases caused the lens to blow off of the computer. No injuries have been reported.

Affected units: This recall involves Atomic Aquatics brand Cobalt dive computers with serial numbers 2210-XXXX through 1612-XXXX (manufactured between May 31, 2010 and April 16, 2012). Manufacture date can be determined by the serial number. The first 2 digits of the serial number are the week of manufacture and the second 2 digits are the year of manufacture. Cobalts shipped after the 1612-XXXX date code end date (approximately May 2012) do not need to be inspected and are not affected by this recall. Having a Cobalt in the affected unit serial number does not mean it is defective, but that it should be inspected for the defect.

Here is a list of all serial date lots made during the affected period. Look for the first four digits with the following numbers: 2210, 2910, 4010, 4710, 5010, 1111, 1711, 2611, 2811, 3211, 3311, 3411, 3511, 3611, 3711, 3811, 3911, 4011, 4111, 4211, 4511, 4611, 5211, 0812, 1112, 1212, 1312, 1412, 1612

What you should do: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled dive computers and return the unit to either an authorized Atomic Aquatics dealer or the Atomic Aquatics factory for inspection. Inspection is a quick and simple process. If your Cobalt passes this inspection it will be returned to you. If not, it must be returned to the factory for repair.

It does not sound like my report on Tuesday is related, but I just had a failure and returned it under warranty. I was all geared up and ready to bail when there was a loud pop and leaking gas. I shut down the post valve and a friend grabbed some wrenches. The sound made us “sure” the stem O-ring blew (no different from an SPG). We could feel the gas around the hose-Cobalt connection.

We took it apart at the hose (as I am approaching heat prostration in a dry suit), inspected the O-ring (looked fine), put it back on the hose, opened the post valve, no leaks, and bailed off the swim step. About 15 minutes into the dive I looked at the Cobalt and saw no lights and sloshing water. (before everyone gets their underwear in a twist, I had a spare wrist-mount computer for time and depth and doubles with the isolation valve shut for progressive equalization).

The perplexing parts are what could cause the HP air leak, apparently causing the housing to leak water, but stopped leaking HP air after a pressurization cycle. In any case the Atomic customer service rep was very courteous and professional. I really don’t know what the serial number is (registered online but unit is flooded), but I got it more than a year ago.

Hello i am from kent in england and have just purchased the new cobalt. My question is can dives be deleted from the dive log as i tried the computer in my local pool and managed to acquire about 6 dives in an hour while learning about its functions and so on.
If not can it be done on a future update
many thanks for your anticipated help.

Hello i am from kent in england and have just purchased the new cobalt. My question is can dives be deleted from the dive log as i tried the computer in my local pool and managed to acquire about 6 dives in an hour while learning about its functions and so on.
If not can it be done on a future update
many thanks for your anticipated help.
At the moment there is no ability to delete individual logged dives or to "join" dives in the logbook that are handled as separate dives because of a greater then 2 minute surface interval. But it's something that has come up for discussion, and should be solvable in a future firmware update. However there is a built in method to clear the entire dive log- including the factory test dive. If you want to find out about that, PM me.

Ron

Dives cannot presently be deleted from the Cobalt (unless its HP connection blows underwater, in which case I imagine they might be).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom