Underwater Archaeology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessemartian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm sure most of you are familiar with "NAUI". On their website it has a list of courses they offer, one of the courses is "Underwater Archaeology". I wasn't sure if anyone has taken it and if it was offered at their local dive shop. Please help.

I do not offer it, but one professor/NAUI Instructor in my local area teaches during the school year and travels for his research projects in the summer to europe and south america. You might need to travel to one, but you can PM me with your details if you need help finding an instructor.

Thank you Jill. I haven't asked my local instructor yet but i have my doubts that he will not offer the course. You wouldn't happen to know how long it takes to get certified?

Are you a NAUI Scuba Diver?

The Underwater Archaeology course is customizable, but minimum 12 hours with 2 open water dives.

Any Archaeology course given by NAUI, PADI, or any other dive agency will get you nowhere with the governmental or academic crowd. This is because the quality of the instructor is unknown, quality as in their knowledge of archaeology. In my 35 years of diving I have never met a SCUBA instructor that knew what they were doing unless they were connected with a University or with one of these agencies:

The Nautical Archaeology Society (NAS): NAS home page

Maritime Archaeological and Historical Society (MAHS): Maritime Archaeological and Historical Society

The NAS is out of the UK and MAHS is in Maryland. Both have a published Curriculum and while the MAHS has it own it is based off of the NAS. Both agencies are Recognized around the world.

As you are in the US, MHAS is most likely the best bet and the video courses are a great way to start. But the in-pool work doing mapping can be an eye opener. The detail that can be accomplished and the ease in doing it are quite surprising. If you can go the NAS rout, set you goal at NAS Level II and think about Level III. Level IV is more for teaching than doing.

MAHS

Educational Courses

MAHS conducts two educational courses annually--the Introductory Course in Underwater Archaeology and the Underwater Archaeology Field School. For more information about these classes, including locations and times, see the descriptions below. Membership in MAHS does not, however, require completion of either course. PADI, NAUI, and YMCA certification in underwater/maritime archaeology may also be available to graduates of these courses.

MAHS graduates have participated as volunteers in underwater projects throughout the USA including those sponsored by the National Park Service and various state and local governments. MAHS volunteers have also participated in projects conducted in the United Kingdom, Bermuda, St. Maarten, Anguilla and various other locations around the world.
NOTE: The MAHS Diving Into History video series provides a distance learning alternative for those who, due to time or distance constraints, cannot attend the live classes held in the Washington DC area.
Course Registration

See current class schedule for dates and details.
Upon completion of the basic course, students who are certified scuba divers are eligible to enroll in the Maritime Archaeology Field School, held in the late spring.
Send completed application form [PDF] and check made out to MAHS for course fee to:
MAHS
P.O. Box 44382 L'Enfant Plaza
Washington, DC 20026
For further information about this course contact Tom Berkey at h(703) 978-4429, w(703) 872-8191 or by e-mail tberkey1@verizon.net
Introductory Course in Underwater Archaeology

The Introductory Course consists of ten evening sessions on Wednesday evenings (7:30-9pm) at the McLean High School on Davidson Road in McLean, Virginia. The course commences in late January of each year and applications are made available after the preceding December 1. The cost of the course is $175. Course texts (optional) cost approximately $25. The class is open to all interested persons but is limited to 35 students on a first-come basis.

The course begins with a review of the history and development of the science of underwater archaeology. Also discussed are the significance of Florida, Maryland, and Virginia waters in terms of historic shipwrecks, projects and future underwater archaeological needs of these areas. Other classes provide instruction in archival research, remote sensing devices, reconnaissance surveys, mapping and underwater excavation techniques, photographic and video documentation of underwater sites, artifact conservation, and ethics. One class is a field trip for a "hands on" study of wooden sailing ship architecture. The final class is a pool session for divers to perform some of the survey techniques learned in class.
Upon completion of the course, students who are certified scuba divers are eligible to enroll in the Field School, in Underwater Archaeology held in the late spring. (See description below)
Basic Underwater Archaeology Course Curriculum

• Intro. to Underwater Archaeology
  • Archival Research
  • Ship's Architecture
  • Position Fixing and Search Methods
  • Survey, Recording and Mapping
  • Photography and Video Documentation
  • Conservation of Artifacts
  • Law, Ethics and Report Preparation
  • Project Planning
  • Survey and Mapping Pool Session

The Field School prepares students for actual field projects. The course is open to all MAHS members who have completed the basic course and are certified scuba divers. Students must provide their own scuba equipment including mask, fins, snorkel, tank, buoyancy compensator, regulator with alternate air supply (e.g., octopus), depth gauge, underwater watch or bottom timer, weight belt, and appropriate thermal protection (e.g., wetsuit).

Typically, the Field School consists of a 2-day on-site session, which may be in a quarry or on an actual archaeological site, depending upon resource availability. The course provides the student with experience in shoreline and open water reconnaissance, survey, mapping, sketching and other activities that may be site specific. The cost of the course is $150.00.

NAS
What is the NAS Training Programme?

The NAS International Training Programme has been delivering courses in nautical archaeology for over 25 years. The programme aims to provide not just an introduction to the subject but also to offer people a chance to build their skills and experience, allowing them to take part in projects and fieldwork around the world and perhaps to run their own projects
The Training Programme has a modular structure, starting with a one day Introduction Course and working through the Part I, II and III Certificates and finally the Part IV Diploma. The programme is open to everybody with the Introduction course requiring no prior learning or qualifications and the programme is designed to allow you to become as involved as you like - with courses in a wide range of topics and subject areas within nautical archaeology there is something for everybody!
For more information on each of the different levels of the training programme please follow the links on the right...
The NAS has many Training Partners around the world, so if you are interested in training courses outside of the UK, please visit our International pages to see if there is a Training Partner in your area. If there is no-one near by, don't worry - if you have a group who are interested we can always come to you!
NAS Tutors are based around the world and have a variety of different backgrounds. They have experience in a wide variety of projects, on the foreshore, on dry land and underwater, meet some of our Tutor Team by clicking here

Introduction course
NAS Training Part I
NAS Training Part II
NAS Training Part III

Back
Top Bottom