Soon to be in the Sooner State

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is Lake Lawtonka at?
It's just on the northern edge of Ft.Sill, outside of Lawton. The diving area is rather small, off the dam but restricted to non-motored ( maybe trolling motors, I'm not sure) boats, so very nice and quiet. You can go very deep, although you'll need a good exposure suit and light, like most lakes. You dive on the Wichita Refuge/Ft. Sill edge, across the road from the much busier main part of the lake. I don't know that I would make a huge long trip for it but if you also wanted to see/hike the refuge, it would be well worth it. The refuge is really awesome and you could spend a week camping and hiking it.
As far as the lake, vis is usually very good for a lake, especially in the shallows. I used to snorkel the edge a lot because I lived about 5 miles away. The edge is very interesting, all rocks/ boulders. Lots of small bass and other little fish.
Stop and walk the cute little town of Medicine Park but save room for dinner in Meers. They have the best BBQ, hamburgers and steaks/prime rib. All from their own, pasture raised longhorns. It's a historical restaurant and sits on a fault line. They have an old-fashioned richter scale that operates inside the restaurant.
I haven't been to any of these places since I moved in 2004. So, please check to see that they're all open. The refuge and Medicine Park got hit hard by a terrible fire last summer. ( I think it even crossed the road and burned most of my old property but I believe the house was saved).
The biggest issue of diving the lake is air fills. When I left, Duncan, a 50 mile drive to the east, was the only place to get them.

It is just north of Fort Sill / Lawton OK. Nearby, Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area (LETRA), is another popular location for divers.

Wait, LETRA and Lawtonka are different? I thought they were the same.

LETRA-Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area is part of Fort Sill. It can be accessed by civilians for a fee. There is a beach/swim area, boat ramp, etc. You can also get access to the LETRA without a fee by the dam. There is a turn-off from SR49 before entering the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Lake Lawtonka is a large reservoir for Lawton. I have only dived LETRA. It was mostly no-wake zone. There is a dive shop in Lawton for refills. More info @:
Lake Diver :: Lake Elmer Thomas

OK, I have dived letra at the dam but for some reason I thought lawtonka wasanother name for it.

---------- Post Merged at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:10 PM ----------

OK, I have dived letra at the dam but for some reason I thought lawtonka wasanother name for it.

Hi,

Thanks for the tips, its been a busy week. Had my last trip UK diving for a while (diving with seals in the Farne Islands in 50 degree water). If all goes to plan I hope to be moving near the beggining of October. Hopefully Ill find out more over next week. I will definately check out blue water divers (I told my Fiance to look at doing a try dive/DSD there). Does any one know if they are able to replace latex wrist seals?

[video=youtube;6g3gk6ufjf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6g3gk6ufjf0[/video]
[video=youtube;KaGmj3ghtMs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaGmj3ghtMs&feature=relmfu[/video]

Hello jcpr,

I don't currently live in OK, but I am from Oklahoma and have worked (part time) for Bluewater Divers for nearly a decade now.

First, let me answer your question, Bluewater can certainly change out your latex wrist seals. We are a DUI dealer and can work on most types of drysuits.

Bluewater doesn't typically stock steel tanks, but many of the staff (including myself) dive Worthington X series tanks. Check out the link here: XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications . It looks like the X7-100 tanks would be pretty close to your Faber 12L tanks with respect to capacity. I had a couple of these for several years and they are quite nice. I have currently being doing some cave diving and needed some more capacity so now I have moved up to the X8-130 tanks.

I know it has already been mentioned, but it is worth repeating, there are several folks in the Shawnee area that are part of the Oklahoma Aquanauts. I know a couple of those guys and they are really nice and would certainly welcome you to dive with their group.

I try to dive at Lake Murray or Tenkiller as much as possible to keep my skills current. PM me if you are ever interested going, I'm never more than a couple of weeks away from my next dives, especially if you are interested in caves or tech.

Best Regards,

Gillty

There is going to be some great events going on in the near future at Tenkiller. In October the aquanauts are going to sink a boat in the scuba park and on the 21 there will be a pumpkin carving contest hosted by one of the LDS here in Tulsa and the Broken Arrow divers. Lots of great things coming up in tenkiller.

There is going to be some great events going on in the near future at Tenkiller. In October the aquanauts are going to sink a boat in the scuba park and on the 21 there will be a pumpkin carving contest hosted by one of the LDS here in Tulsa and the Broken Arrow divers. Lots of great things coming up in tenkiller.

Hello K when might the boat sinking godown as it were? I'm not that far away and would like to meet you at last.

It was only mentioned once but the dive shop in Duncan closed last month. I was a DM with them. Lawton has Divepros, they have a good selection for a small shop. They do air and nitrox fills. Lake Elmer Thomas is ok but the lake is low now and the shore entry near the dam is steep and rocky. Vis is variable usually better below the thermocline at the dam. Lake Murray has had better vis shallow lately and warmer by 8 degrees or so. At least at Marietta landing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom