Soon to be in the Sooner State

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I have dived letra at the dam but for some reason I thought lawtonka wasanother name for it.

---------- Post Merged at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:10 PM ----------

OK, I have dived letra at the dam but for some reason I thought lawtonka wasanother name for it.
I've dived Lectra at the dam as well. You don't have to pay a fee and you're not really accessing the base.
when did air fills become available in Lawton again?

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 PM ----------

It was only mentioned once but the dive shop in Duncan closed last month. I was a DM with them. Lawton has Divepros, they have a good selection for a small shop. They do air and nitrox fills. Lake Elmer Thomas is ok but the lake is low now and the shore entry near the dam is steep and rocky. Vis is variable usually better below the thermocline at the dam. Lake Murray has had better vis shallow lately and warmer by 8 degrees or so. At least at Marietta landing.
What a shame that Duncan Dive shop closed. He was a great guy and had a good,active shop.
never dove Lake Murray.When I lived near Medicine Park, the guy from Duncan always came to Lawtonka for classes.He'd bring my tanks and swap them out for me.

---------- Post Merged at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Wait, LETRA and Lawtonka are different? I thought they were the same.
Same lake. Opposite sides of the road.

---------- Post Merged at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Hello jcpr,

I don't currently live in OK, but I am from Oklahoma and have worked (part time) for Bluewater Divers for nearly a decade now.

First, let me answer your question, Bluewater can certainly change out your latex wrist seals. We are a DUI dealer and can work on most types of drysuits.

Bluewater doesn't typically stock steel tanks, but many of the staff (including myself) dive Worthington X series tanks. Check out the link here: XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications . It looks like the X7-100 tanks would be pretty close to your Faber 12L tanks with respect to capacity. I had a couple of these for several years and they are quite nice. I have currently being doing some cave diving and needed some more capacity so now I have moved up to the X8-130 tanks.

I know it has already been mentioned, but it is worth repeating, there are several folks in the Shawnee area that are part of the Oklahoma Aquanauts. I know a couple of those guys and they are really nice and would certainly welcome you to dive with their group.

I try to dive at Lake Murray or Tenkiller as much as possible to keep my skills current. PM me if you are ever interested going, I'm never more than a couple of weeks away from my next dives, especially if you are interested in caves or tech.

Best Regards,

Gillty
Where do you dive caves? I may be returning to OK and am very interested in cave diving.

Ed opened another Dive Pros shop in Lawton, eventually he closed the Duncan shop. A instructor that worked for him had a partner and opened a dive shop in Duncan in the same building. It was a second job for both of them and it became too much to keep up with. Ed still has Dive Pros in Lawton. It is a full service shop.

Oh good. I'm glad Ed didn't have to go out of business. He had a good shop and is a good guy. I've just this week retired the last of the used gear I bought from him in about 2002!

Hello K when might the boat sinking godown as it were? I'm not that far away and would like to meet you at last.

Saturday October 6 at 9:00 a.m. is when its scheduled for. I am hoping to make it out there and as of now its looking pretty good. I know for a fact Ill be at the pumpkin carving as I am the organizer for the dive group who is working with the local dive shop here (Poseidon Adventures - Tulsa's Center for Scuba Diving Certification, Training, and Equipment) and I know its going to be pretty cool. I just saw today alot of neat stuff going to be awarded there and so it appears at first glance it will be well worth the trip.

The aquanauts are the ones putting on the sinking of the boat and Soonerwink is one of the guys heading up the event. Perhaps he will chime in soon and give more details on this particular event :)

Well, I have the date for moving and it is on the 4th so its likely I wont get to dive till november due to the whole complecations of moving. However I will start keeping my eye open for events and may try and come along to have a look at some of the sites.

I look forward to finding out what oklahoma has to offer and more than likely meeting some of you!

Tracydr,

I have only been cave diving in Florida. We drive down there once or twice a year. There are also some caves in Missouri, I look forward to going up there sometime in the future. If you are interested don't hesitate to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom