Snorkel -- Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseywilson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be on a Princess cruise with my son and we dock at Nawiliwili on the morning of October 13, 2012, for pretty much a full day [8 to 5]. I'm PADI OW he is AOW. I'm planning on renting a car for some self-guided sightseeing rather than being herded from place to place, rushing to get back on the bus with the rest of the sheep. I've probably offended someone also on the cruise and reading this -- sorry. Rather than spending a huge part of the day gearing up for SCUBA and riding out to a dive site, we'd rather just do some snorkeling off the beach somewhere. Access to a post-swim shower would be a plus but not a requirement.

Suggestions?

Mahalo nui loa,
Casey & Geoff

How about a shore dive (or two) at Koloa Landing? (Fathom Five is my favorite operator there.)

I would go to Poipu Beach. I'm fairly certain there's showers there. http://www.poipubeach.org/beaches.html

You'll generally find good year-round snorkeling at Poipu Beach Park (From Poipu Rd., turn right on Hoone Rd.), except during summer's south swells (which are not nearly as frequent as winter's north swells). The best snorkeling fronts the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club. Stay inside the crescent shape created by the sandbar and rocky point. The current runs east to west.

The north side might be too rough already by then (big waves roll in in winter) so you'd have a long drive for nothing.

Yup, there are showers.

**IF** you can verify that the surf isn't too big on the North shore, I'd drive over there and go to Tunnels and Ke'e beach to snorkel. I was ther last October and the conditions were perfect. I saw more fish at Tunnels than I've probably see anywhere else. The other benefit is the scenery on the drive over to the North side. The area around Hanalei is my favorite area of all the islands.

If the surf is up or decide you don't have time to get to the North side, then Poipu it is. That's where we always go right before flying out because they have showers for us to use before putting on clean clothes.

I can tell you that as of now, there is pretty good surf up at Ke'e beach. It was hitting the reef pretty good, but looked not too bad inside the reef.

Big surf hitting this week and likely to start the trend of north swells. South shore getting a late season bump this weekend as well. Your best bet is to do a shore dive at Koloa as was mentioned or snorkel at
Poipu beach or Prince Kuhio (more advanced).

Good luck

Poipu was terrific last week. I was very surprised at the amount and variety of fish.

Thanks for the the tip Aquaman. Considering available time and convenience, we've pretty much decided Poipu is our best snorkeling choice for this trip. I'm thinking we'll probably make a dedicated trip back for some SCUBA - - - maybe in December.

Back
Top Bottom