WOOT! It's official! I am now OW Certified and could not possibly be more EXCITED!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hootie

Registered
Reaction score
American citizen currently living in the Cape Town
# of dives
50 - 99
I truly can't even begin to describe how amazing this experience has been! Today, we dove just outside of West Palm Beach and the folks that were on the dive said visibility was 100 feet. Apparently that is really awesome! I say apparently because I have no clue and I stink when it comes to distance. It was sunny and calm so no waves at all. Everyone was remarking that we could not have asked for a more perfect day to get certified.

It was like being in an aquarium! We saw (3) loggerhead turtles, a spiny lobster, squid, an eel duking it out pretty seriously with a fish, a lion fish, and countless other fish. It was exhilarating! I didn't want to surface!!!!

I have already booked two dives next week! One back in West Palm Beach and the other is diving inside the 5+M gallon tank at Epcot!! I am crazy excited. Additionally I've got several more dives planned this month (more FL and also Cancun).

My husband has created a monster! lol

The ONLY issue I seem to have is being able to descend easily. Once I'm on the bottom, I am able to get neutrally buoyant pretty easily but it takes forever for me to sink. I'm weighted pretty heavily (I'm plus size) and really can't handle much more weight (at least on the surface) so are there any tricks to getting down easily? My hubby and his friend go down head first but they have 1000s of dives (started as Navy divers in the 70s) so I'm not sure if that's something acceptable for a newbie like myself. Anyone have any thoughts?

Congrats!!!! If you can stand another 3# of weight it will help you descend (initially). As you now know, there is so much to look at do me a favor and promise to check your SPG often so you don't run out of air!

Welcome to the world!!!

Yikes! Even another ONE pound sounds awful. lol. i'm already at 26lbs. That's heavy for me! But if I must, I must. Especially if I'm diving with peeps i don't know. My hubby will be patient with me but I don't want to make more experience divers wait on me. Thank you for the reminder.....time FLIES down there....seems like I was only down for 15 minutes or so and it was 35!!! I will do my very best to be safe!

Don't get stressed thinking others are waiting on you. It'll make you anxious and you'll overlook something or at best feel rushed. Take your time and enjoy!

---------- Post Merged at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Also, when you begin to descend, go feet-first and hold that inflator hose as far above you head as possible and dump that air. Once you get down around 10 feet you should start to descend with little problem.

Congratulations and just learn to relax and exhale all the way and you will need less weight. For now just dive and have a great time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you both.....and yes, I have noticed that once I can get going, it becomes easier but it seems no matter how much air I exhale, I still just kinda hang there....I'll keep trying. I have 2 dives this week and I'm going to try and dive at least once (hopefully more) per week until we leave Florida in November.

Descending can take a while. No big deal, if they are good buddies they are cool with it. If they are not good buddies, get new ones. I have a feeling your hubby is cool with it.... If I haven't been down in a while it takes me a bit to get my ears through the 20 ft mark. Sometimes I need to pull the line through the first ten feet. Exposure protection needs to compress a bit to get rid of the air.since it takes a little extra time for you to suit up, it may help if hubby help get you in the water so you can soak the extra air out of your suit while he is donning his own gear. Fwiw I was certified in northern mi in a snow storm with less than 10 ft viz. here in Connecticut you're 10 ft is good viz. to see your console you need to have physical contact with your mask. Yah, 100 is about as good as it can get. Have fun and welcome to the board..

---------- Post Merged at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:45 AM ----------

It sounds like you have enough weight, you should be able to shed some as you get more experience. If you can hold your safety stop at the end of the dive without floating, please don't add any more.

If you're wearing any kind of exposure suit you may have air trapped in it. Prior to descending pull the collar of the suit away from your neck to flood the suit. As said prior: if you can maintain a safety stop with the weight you have now, don't add any more. Sounds like you're having a fantastic start!

I also have trouble getting down that first 20 feet or so, I tried swimming down and I didn't like it. Now my husband and I descend together. Once we get to the level that I'm good by myself, I nod and he lets go. Extra weight just caused more different problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom