Rookie diver, rookie photographer, have E-PL1. Recommendations for UW config?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bit to think about here. I'm leaning towards not taking a camera on the dives - due to high price and low experience. Naturally I'm worried I'll wish I had photos of this or that, but I don't want to detract from the dives given I'll be new to it.

But I still would like something to get some snaps underwater when just swimming about off the beaches, snorkeling etc...

If I am to get a new camera, it is likely to be a small P&S given I have the E-PL1 already. I figure no point in getting something better than the E-PL1, as when would I ever use the E-PL1 then? Basically it means selling the E-PL1 and get something new. That could be a project for another time however, once experience is up and I know I'll reuse the investment.

If I start to think on a small P&S, the Canon S100 becomes an option. It can be bought and housed relatively cheaply, but probably only useful for snorkeling photos. The other option is the Olympus TG-1... for snorkeling I shouldn't need housing, saving some money vs. the S100, but losing out on IQ a bit. Both would double as a more compact camera for topside photos when I don't want to lug the E-PL1 around.

I understand what Jack is saying, but the epl1 is a very nice camera and will give you much better photos than an S100.
What you need to find is a current epl1 housing owner who is itching to upgrade to the epl5.
otherwise you could house the epl1 for $499. Any money you spend on strobes, trays, arms, etc is transferable to a different system.
The housing cost is the only thing you eat, minus what you can sell the old housing for.
I think the epm1 is great and is the current value leader. But if you went epm1 you'd have to buy a camera for $349 + housing for $599.
I showed you a link for a housing for the epl1 for $499. That's a $449 difference. Almost enough to fund your strobe. An epl1 with a strobe is much better than an epm1 without.
If you could get a used epl1 housing for say $300, that's a no brainer.

so, if you went S100 you'd have to buy a camera for what $399, then a housing for $249. I'm kind of guessing at those numbers. But, bottom line is you'd pay more for a lesser camera.
My wife has an S95 and it's a great little camera. But, make no mistake, my epl2 (which is about the same as the epl1) blows it away in terms of IQ.

I can relate to the desire to take photos on a trip like you are taking. However, I think diving a little before making such an investment would be a good idea. You will probably meet a number of photographers with various rigs which you can see. Have you considered doing some diving on the trip and renting a rig for a day or so. It will cost you more in the long run but you will not have any significant additional financial pressures on this trip. You can save for the rig you want later, get some valuable diving experience, take some photos if you want to and reduce your luggage for the trip.
Have a great trip.

Personally, I'd hesitate to house that old a camera. It's not that it's a bad camera, it's that the newer ones are so much faster, with better, much faster lenses, auto-focus, software, video, etc.

You'll spend the same $599 on the PT-EP01 as you would on housing say the PM-1 with the PT-EP06. The PM-1 is only $349 right now. Use the old camera for topside and house the latest camera you can afford. You'll get much better value out of your housing dollars.

Jack

Well Jack, I still love the housing and setup you sold me for my E-PL1. Since I have many decent lenses, I will stay with this family and I still get good results with my original E-PL1. I do agree, if you are buying today, get the latest whatever. Housings for the older bodies actually go up in price, so the wiser thing to do is get he latest.

I do think the Olympus housing is the least expensive decent housing for their cameras, and it works OK. If I dove every day, maybe I could justify the much nicer Nauticam.

another satisfied E-PL1/PT-EP01 user here. i have an Inon Z240 type 4 but a S2000 would suffice. i think you should be able to find the PT-EP01 fairly cheap these days.
or maybe convince one of the SB members here to part with theirs?

it gives amazing pictures for the money invested.

Refurbished epm1 is $199 at cameta. That's what I did. Camera only had 150 shots on it. Bought the rest of my package at Optical Ocean. I'm here in Roatan now and this my first time taking it out, except for the local quarry. I'm having a hard time getting a good shot, but I'm here to practice and I have all week. Oh I forgot to close the battery cover on my strobe and it flooded. Dried it out and it is working. Hooray.

...for snorkeling I shouldn't need housing, saving some money vs. the S100, but losing out on IQ a bit. Both would double as a more compact camera for topside photos when I don't want to lug the E-PL1 around.

I use my G12 in the Canon housing when I don't want to lug around my EPL1 set up (2 strobes and SOLA500).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom