Cold water Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like mine....well the one issued to me, PSD with my agency. Haven't had a drop leak in so far. Clean up is easy too, everything just rinses right off the rubber.

Which model are you guys runnin'?

I'm in the process of outfitting our local volunteer department with some Viking Protechs! It is EPDM on top of stretchy lycra, so they're a lot more comfortable than the old interior fabric. They weigh a lot less too.

The best price/quality suit I have seen so far is Bare NextGen. But it has some inconveniences - it's hard to glue anything on it like pockets, but it can be done and I know some people who did it.

Another issue with the Bare suits is there exhaust valve is not located properly for horizontal trim. You have to chicken wing to dump the air. Or you have to relocate the valve.

I have some issues with the Trilam HD - some of their seams rub agains the dry zipper and damage it. There were some other quality issues with the suit, including 2 leaks in different places within first dives.

So far though the number of issues I have had with the suit seems to be lower than many of my friends had with their suits made by other manufacturers. so I'm more less happy with the suit.

I started with a Bare Nex Gen and love it. It was HIGHLY recommended to me by my friend who got me into diving - he's a 20 year+ diver, has 100's of dives on his current Bare suit, has been a commercial diver, etc., so knows a variety of drysuits - his favorite is his ancient Bare Nex Gen that's still going strong. After all of my research before I got mine, I came to the conclusion that for $1100 it's a GREAT deal on a very good suit. I considered the Fusion based on everything I read here, but couldn't justify the extra $$$$ it would have cost me. My LDS that carries both DUI and Bare couldn't give me a reason not to get the Bare - they also (as did other distributors who carried other brands) could say nothing bad about it and recommended it highly.

I love mine (ok, all 30 dives on it, but I found it easy to learn to dive and won't look back - dry is the way to go!).

I also started with a Bare Nexgen and they are a great suit and great value. I now dive a Fusion and find that it is easier to dive, there is almost no air bubble to be concerned about. Based on Whites recent performance I don't have any hesitation to recommend their suits and I am confident that there latest offering will satisfy most divers. My Bare is now my backup and still going strong although it is probably about time I replaced the zipper.

I broke down and spent the cash, I went and got measured for a DUI TLS350. I put off a lot of other spending to make this happen but man I love this suit! I also picked up a new Halcyon eclipse. I have been diving Lake Superior all summer long and with the exception of the one time I flooded the suit (completely my fault) I was toasty and comfortable. I also picked up a Fourth Element top and bottom undergarment so I have been in water 68 degrees down to 40 degrees and love every minute of it.

We have some reviews of a handful of drysuits on our website Your Scuba Reviews Scuba diving, scuba gear reviews, scuba diving tra Check the new gear page. I personally dive with a Scubapro Everdry4 - Neoprene, close fitting, similar feel to diving in a wetsuit but dry - price is around $1200. My buddy uses Apollo Bio Dry it is also a neoprene 4mm with a great valve system (wrist, bicep and two on the outer ankles) making venting air from the feet a no brainer. Price is around $1800 - a little more money but if you are a newer diver the ankle valves are priceless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom