DEEP DEEP diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MikeFerrara:
How did I take anything you said out of context? I quoted you exactly and asked for clearification on how AOW and rescue prepared one for a dive of that scope. Look back at what you said. If you meant something other than what you said then I am understandably confused.

Mike

That's because everyone has opinions..and that is mine..I think those courses should be taken. First, because it is a continuance of education. Including more Dive experience in AOW, and Rescue I believe should be a mandatory class for everyone to have that dives. What's the problem for wanting people to be able to give CPR or Egress a stressed Diver from the water in any condition. Your point of view to Me seemed biased towards being unsafe. When in fact had this Diver aquired some of these skills, he would have more insight to his ludicrous post in the first place. I don't think He should Dive deep at all with 7 Dives, nor should he attempt video shoots being so inexperienced. The only way to get better at Diving is DIVE....and educate himself...I would still recommend no less than 100 Dives in all conditions to gather this type of personal experience..that is My opinion..and I stand by it.
Divers should want to be able to save live's in the water..even if all they do is Dive to 30 ft. Including their own.....these classes all practice skills that in the event of emergency can save a life. I have skills in underwater demolition and amphibious assaults on a beach head. I don't use these skills in My diving in the recreational world, but I still posess them. I have learned and forgotten more safety procedures than most members in this SB community. Risk assesment is paramount in any dive and I understand that..once again, I feel that the message conveyed was misunderstood...but that's what it's all about...We all get to come back and post ...and post ...and post...So I'm sure we'll keep talking..and please don't take this personal..as it is not meant to be. I don't...I'm much more thick skinned than that..If I need to continue to explain My point of view..I'll be here...

armyscuba:
Mike

I feel that the message conveyed was misunderstood...but that's what it's all about...We all get to come back and post ...and post ...and post...So I'm sure we'll keep talking..and please don't take this personal..as it is not meant to be. I don't...I'm much more thick skinned than that..If I need to continue to explain My point of view..I'll be here...

Good enough for me. If it was misunderstood then it was misunderstood. Nothing personal and no further explaination needed. Thanks for making your opinion clearer.

What has intrigued me in this thread is the Dir guys that were talking about doing stops with no mask in poor vis conditions and still mainting precise depth control. I know from experiance I cannot read my guages without a mask. I can tell when I am decending from the pressure on my ears but if I go up my ears clear on there own and in poor vis without visual referance a depth guage and the means to view it, it would be V hard to control my depth. Due to past learning experiance I allways carry a spare mask in my BCD. But as for the deep diving DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT THE CORRECT TECHNICAL TRAINING.

The last 'vagabonds' of middle-eastern origin who asked for crash-course training without regard for 'minor technical details' like taking off and landing caught the US off guard.

First of all I am not of “middle eastern origin” or even FROM the middle east. Pakistan is not in the Middle East. You can pick up the world map and look at it.

Secondly, you don’t have to be of any particular race or religion to catch the American security off guard. Timothy McVeigh caught the US internal security off guard when he carried out the Oklahoma city bombing and he was not of “middle eastern origin.” His race and religion were the same as majority of Americans. Same goes for the suicidal shooters of Columbine High School massacre. What they did was a suicide attack in every sense of the term.

While scuba training my seem innocous, a short list of targets might be:
Cruise liners
Naval ships
Nuclear Power Plant coolant systems
Shipping Lanes
Oil/Communication Piplelines

I dont think any of the above exist in a functional state at 200 feet below sea level.

I'm simply saying this EXACTLY fits a profile we as Americans should be more alert to.

In my humble opinion, it is this ethnic prejudice that Americans should more conscious of. I am not blaming any individual for this because I believe that if I was born in say Ann Arbor Michigan and I grew up watching Fox News, True Lies, Rules of Engagement etc my perception would not be any different than that expressed in this post. Its just that I don’t see how this mass paranoia towards ANY ethnic group results in a more secure world.

lets talk diving :snorkel:

SeaHound:
lets talk diving :snorkel:

Yeah, that would be nice. Lets all do that eh? :wink:

Im still waiting to hear what is so important at 200' that a novice diver would want to risk trying to truing to capture it on film.

Seahound, I think the middle east misconception probably arose from you asking about where to get training there.

I am new BUT,

Maybe the best way for Seahound to process what you are telling him is to start the classes. He will have to do the minimum dives as pre-requisite anyway. I imagine by actually practicing the skills required, he MAY start to get a better idea of the magnitude of the undertaking.

It is easy to talk about going that deep, but you would still have to conquer some level of visceral fear to do it successfully. I would probably wet my drysuit in mid giant stride :11: !

Regards,
JR

thetash:
I am new BUT,

Maybe the best way for Seahound to process what you are telling him is to start the classes. He will have to do the minimum dives as pre-requisite anyway. I imagine by actually practicing the skills required, he MAY start to get a better idea of the magnitude of the undertaking.

Regards,
JR

Im actually starting to think that I couldn't care less what happens to the guy but I have to admit it's amusing listeni g to the tripe he comes out with.

thetash:
I am new BUT,

It is easy to talk about going that deep, but you would still have to conquer some level of visceral fear to do it successfully. I would probably wet my drysuit in mid giant stride :11: !

Regards,
JR

Now that makes a lot of sense. Sometimes someone needs to take training just to know how much they don't know. At least SeaHound would be better prepared to make an educated decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom