Wolf eel and several Giant Sea Bass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We got out early this morning for our planned wolf eel video. The water at the surface looked tropical blue, but dropped quickly to a dirty ten feet at best on the bottom. Pepe' the wolf eel cooperated...slightly. We need to figure out how to push the surface water down to the reef below.

Our next dive was at the Landing Craft in search of Giant Sea Bass. Similar conditions awaited us there. As the dive wore on, a cloud of sand swept through the area, dropping visibility from ten feet to less than three by the end of the dive.
The only good thing was that five GSBs showed up. The visibility kept us from getting decent shots, so you'll have to suffer along with us.

LandingCraft2.jpg

LandingCraft3.jpg

Great surface conditions teased us

LandingCraft4.jpg

Large cabezon on the wreck

LandingCraft7.jpg

One of many red octopus nests

LandingCraft10.jpg

Garibaldi peeks out from his hiding place

LandingCraft12.jpg

Lots of grinning female sheephead today

LandingCraft8.jpg

LandingCraft15.jpg

LandingCraft13.jpg

Three giant sea bass tease Merry

LandingCraft14.jpg

"Spot"

LandingCraft11.jpg

LandingCraft5.jpg

LandingCraft6.jpg

LandingCraft1.jpg

Awesome man! Pepe' is actually larger then I thought. You almost got him to get out of the den with the squid. He looks to be curious enough, just needs a bit more socialization with the bubble blowing behemoths. What happened to the Metridium trio? Were the other two just pulled in? :confused: Excellent GSB encounter! Did Merry grab any good stills of Pepe?

Merry was taking pictures of the metridiums while I was taping Pepe'. Last week, they were closed and had a stringy substance all over them. This week, only one was opened, but there wasn't much bottom current. Hopefully they are OK and Pepe' will get used to us.

Lovely video, and perfect music.

That photograph of the cabezon is so beautifully lit, with so much detail and color . . . those are exactly the kind of photographs I would love to be able to produce. Thank you for giving me something to "shoot" for!

Last week, they were closed and had a stringy substance all over them.
That's what got my worried. On our dive there they were closed up and when I saw only the one opened from today's footage, I thought the worst. Hopefully they are alright. Any idea what the stringy substance was? Defense mechanism possibly?

Excellent GSB encounter! Did Merry grab any good stills of Pepe?

Not wanting to frighten the little fella', I kept a good distance from the action.

Again, wonderful work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom