Boat Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one tank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First thank you everyone for your input on the gear hauling question, great input.

My next adventure is to go on a boat this weekend diving off Catalina. I did all my certifications on shore and have a little shore experience. None on a boat. So that being said. What would you tell or suggest to me for my boat experience to go well and for the others on the boat. I want to make friend not tick anyone off because I don't know what is going on. I also take a long time to equalize and was wondering if I should be the last person off the boat not to hold anyone else up. I don't even know if this would be an issue. Any and ALL input would be greatly accepted. Thank you again in advance for your help.

First thank you everyone for your input on the gear hauling question, great input.

My next adventure is to go on a boat this weekend diving off Catalina. I did all my certifications on shore and have a little shore experience. None on a boat. So that being said. What would you tell or suggest to me for my boat experience to go well and for the others on the boat. I want to make friend not tick anyone off because I don't know what is going on. I also take a long time to equalize and was wondering if I should be the last person off the boat not to hold anyone else up. I don't even know if this would be an issue. Any and ALL input would be greatly accepted. Thank you again in advance for your help.
If you have big trouble equalizing, buy the Neil Med Saline irrigation system and use 2 saline bags per nostril, and do this 3 times per day for the week leading up to the boat dive....then the day of the boat dive, take Mucinex D about an hour or two prior to diving. Many divers divem using decongestants on every dive day, or they could not dive....The agencies are afraid to recommend this due to potential pharmacological effects, though whatever effects are possible for this, are considered a non-issue by a huge majority od divers ( that use sudafed or Mucinex etc) . Extreme depth in diving would exagerate the effects of the Mucinex or sudafed, so the first few times you use it, you might limit diving to 60 to 75 feet to make sure it is not imparing you in any significant way. At the depths where you really would expect it to have real pharmacological effects, this is well beyond the depths of recreational diving anyway, so you should not care about this.
I make these coments from the real world experience of diving with thousands of divers on charter boats over the last 30 years, and all the discussions that ensued about ear clearing. **** I am not a Doctor, so my advice needs to be understood as not being "medically" supported or un-supported. It is just a huge amount of experience on dive boats with a large population of divers.
Also, my wife Sandra ( who has been diving for 25 years) , has chronic sinusitis, and could not possibly dive without sudafed or Mucinex or equivalent. She dives every week, and actually likes having a Mucinex and a Triptone...she calls this "Having an Elvis", a phrase she borrowed from the Marine Artist Wyland, that we dove with several times on Jim Abernethy's boat...Wyland does the Elvis for every dive as well :) ..they say this in fun, but in reality, they find that taking the two, cancels the feelings out of either taken by itself.

You don't want to be a slow equalizer. It is not so much ettiquette, it limits your ability to reach many reefs or wrecks, if there is any current at all. It makes you a liability in a buddy team scenario, because you are essentially a "handicapped diver", but the handicap is one you have created for yourself, by not attempting to address the sinus issue. This is no slam on Handicapped divers.....A war veteran that lost a leg, is a hero in my book, and their contributions make them a person without challenge or handicap.... A guy that is always cramping, because they are too foolish to deal with the cause of their cramping--that is the real handicapped diver.

Last edited:
Verify basic hand signals to give to the boat Captain before your first dive, he is also tending to other divers and you want to be sure you are on the same page, his page, haha. Be sure you will have water, gatorade, etc..available on the boat or make sure you bring your own if not available on board. Dramamine, Dramamine, Dramamine :D. Put your fins on last, moving on a boat with them on is difficult and clumsy. Be sure you have a SMB, whistle, and mirror in case things goes south. Be sure to have the right exposure protection, the dive operator will be able to give you water temps in advance in most instances. In most cases an anchor line will be there for you, use it, it is your friend. Once you reach the bottom, orientate yourself with features or landmarks, take a compass readings if your diving with one. It will make it easy for you to find the anchor line for your ascent in anything less then excellent viz. You may have already been advised this by your OW instructor, but pre-equalizing before your descent can be helpful for new divers, or divers with a bit of difficulty equalizing. If yours is not a medical condition that requires it, save your money on things to help, after a a dozen dives, you will most likely not even notice that you are constantly equalizing as required, it becomes second nature. Danvolker has a ton more experience then me, and no disrespect intended, but I would not take anything OTC, or prescription that can or will, cause you drowsiness. Most sea-sickness medicines have the potential to make you drowsy, no need to add to it with other meds. Also, both Sudafed and Mucinex are noted for causing nausea, which if you get nauseous on a boat....
Advise the Captain or a mate that you have a bit of difficulty equalizing and let them advise you, tell your buddy and don't rush your descent. Being the first one in the water on an anchor line descent, in some conditions, will slow all the divers behind you, so if you are in current, weaker swimmers will not be able to pass you easily. Don't be embarrassed, as Scott L said the crew are happy to hear your concerns/questions up front, all divers were once new divers, and I don't know anyone who will complain about you asking a question that can potentially be safety concern.
If you don't have a 'save a dive' kit, get one or make one. If you lose your mask or a fin strap breaks underwater it will ruin your day for sure unless someone comes up with a spare for you. Good luck, great diving!

Do you get seasick? If you don't know, then I would say assume you will and take Dramamine (or equivalent) the night before, and then again in the morning. It does no good to take it the first time once you are already on the boat and underway and feeling puny. Bring more so you can stay medicated during the day.

I'll leave the Sudafed etc up to you.

Most of the So Cal boats will have DM's on the deck. Let them know you are new and they will help you where they can- but they are not your valet either (and if they do a great job helping you- make sure you tip accordingly). Get there early and get your gear set up while it is less crowded. Most boats give you enough time to get your BC on a tank and regs set up before departing. It is much easier than on a moving and rocking boat. It also gives you a chance to see what you forgot or left in the car. Make sure you bring everything else you need in addition to your dive gear- defog, weights (even if they say they have them if you own your own), a tank (unless they supply), a towel, jacket or boat coat for the surface interval (you want to warm up between dives). Also someone mentioned a compass is you have one- if you don't get one. In my opinion you have no business boat diving without one. And bring a dive light even for a day dive- there are lots of critters in our rock reefs that like to hide. That said, pack light and only bring what you need for your dive.

You didn't mention if you are alone or going with a buddy. If you need a buddy let the DM/captain know right away.

I also suggest you try to get in the water early rather than last so you have time to make your slow descent.

Finally, boats get crowded. Make sure you keep your gear in a set spot (usually your gear bag) and not all over the place. When gearing up, grab what you need and get to it. Be ready to get in the water once your gear is on. Moving around the deck with a tank on is a hazard to you and everyone else. At the end of the dive when you come up the ladder you will probably hand your fins up and they get piled on deck. Get them as soon as you can and put them back with your gear. Also look before you sit down to take your BC off (if you can) and make sure there isn't a camera or someone's mask underneath you. Same sitaution- moving around on deck in a tank and BC is not always easy. Take your gear off and stow it as much as you can in your bag/spot- don't leave it all over the place. Once your BC is off, put it back in the same spot you took it from. It helps the crew and keeps the person expecting that spot from wanting to hurt you.

Next dive - just do the same things. Enjoy!

---------- Post Merged at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:15 PM ----------

BTW- What boat?

!!!!!!!Do not go into the head if you're feeling seasick!!!!!! Please, please, PLEASE use the ocean for that.

Leave your giant roller bags/boxes at home if at all possible. Space is at a premium on boats.

That said--keep your stuff organized. I generally recommend that divers stow their mask and gloves in their fin pockets to keep them from getting scattered around. Gear up at your area with the exception of your fins, keeping in mind that any time you stand up with a tank on your back is an opportunity to lose your balance on a rocking boat, or to whack your neighbor with your tank. Take your time so you don't forget anything. Carry your fins to the swim step and then put them on.

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you're tangled in your hoses or having trouble getting your fins on, or if you dropped a glove or something. Often it's simpler and faster for crew to help you with these things than to try to balance you while you struggle.

When you jump in, and at any point that you might surface during your dive, look back to the boat and give the crew a big "OK" sign.

When you complete your dive, stay back from the ladder if someone is currently climbing it. Divers can and do fall off the ladder (it can get very slippery if there is kelp on it), and you don't want them to fall on you.

Any time you are not wearing or holding your tank, it should be bungeed to the rack. Never walk away from an un-bungeed tank, not even for a second.

Do not put your mask in the camera bucket.

Carry an SMB in case you need to be visible to the boat in a swell or from a distance.

Tip your crew.

Ask questions! Introduce yourself if you're looking for a buddy. Have fun and be safe :)

Totally agree except for the part about putting on your fins at the swim platform. Where I dive everyone puts them on at their seat and then flop-flop-flops up to the platform. Pausing there and fiddling with your fins probably would be considered bad form.

As for tipping, always tip the capt and the DM/mate. What I can never get clear is how much. Answers here and elsewhere run the gamut, and after many boat dives I'm still not clear on whether to hand the tip to the capt, the mate, each individually, or how much. As a result I probably over-tip on every boat dive. Guidance appreciated on this one.

Regarding tipping, it's totally OK to ask a crew member how the boat handles them. Our boat puts out a jar at the end of the trip and we split tips evenly between captain and crew. Others probably do it differently. I've never met a crew member who wasn't willing to answer questions about tips :)

Tipping should be 15-20% just like you would tip your hair stylist or waiter. If the DM or Captain perform over and above, like retrieving your computer or mask, fixing equipment for you, give a little more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom