New Reg or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you want to save a few bucks-
check out the subgear xp10 computer -
SUBGEAR

same as the scubapro ALADIN 2G from my understanding.

I have the xp-h and love it. also if you need the inferred transmitter you can order one from amazon for like 5 bucks and works perfect.

Instead of new reg or computer, I'm gonna suggest used reg, new computer. Regulators if well cared for last for decades, and with the exception of the adjustable balanced second stages, really haven't changed much in many years. You can probably grab a complete reg set w octo and gauges for $150 or so on eBay, then add in the comp of your choice.

I would recommend the other way around. As the OP is a new diver, he might not know what to look for in terms of condition of a regulator. And to buy a used one just so you can put in another $100 to service it kind of makes the cost back close to a new one, unless he happens upon a high end unit at rock bottom price. Most computers function the same as the day they were purchase, except maybe the screen could be scratched up or o-ring damaged (you can tell pretty easily). And if you don't want the fancy stuff like DEEP stop or some alarms of all sorts, you can get ancient ones that uses the same algorithm for nothing.

To the OP,
Usually when I see a price sooo... much lower then the competition I think there is a problem, and maybe so. But, I am passing this along anyway for your further investigation. HOG brand D1 regulators have a good following and seem to be highly regarded by many posters on SB. I have never dove with a HOG set up before myself. So, they've got these priced at about $225 and there are posters here who rate it alongside the XTX50(which is awesome). It could keep you under $500 for a com and reg(both new) if it is as good as they say. Hope some people will chime in about their experience with the HOG regs, they are still unfamiliar to me.

P.S. If the amount of info you have received so far is leaving you a little dizzy, wait till you try to decide on your first dive camera :grinbandit:

Last edited:
....HOG brand D1 regulators have a good following and seem to be highly regarded by many posters on SB. I have never dove with a HOG set up before myself. So, they've got these priced at about $225 and ...

Who? where? Don't mislead new diver. HOG is inexpensive and offers great value, but not that inexpansive.

For D1 first (non coldwater), 2x D1 2nd, gauge & hoses, this is a minimum diveable set, will cost you about $500. And this assume you will be using DIN tank. For $225, you can't even get 1x D1 first and 1x D1 2nd.

Who? where? Don't mislead new diver. HOG is inexpensive and offers great value, but not that inexpansive.

For D1 first (non coldwater), 2x D1 2nd, gauge & hoses, this is a minimum diveable set, will cost you about $500. And this assume you will be using DIN tank. For $225, you can't even get 1x D1 first and 1x D1 2nd.

:shakehead: Sorry eelnoraa,
you may not have had a chance to read the OP. I pasted it here for you below. The OP is not looking for what you were thinking, just a reg and com per his post. Do you have any experience with the performance and quality of the D1? I clicked on this earlier, an ad for the Edge Gear Epic D1 combo(cold water) for $219 wfree shipping to the USA.
The link for it is below the copy of the OP

New Reg or Computer?

What in your opinion should come first? I'm a new diver and like most don't have the money to go out and buy everything all at once. I am looking at the Atomic Z2 for the regulator and the Scuba pro Aladin 2G for the dive computer.

What are your thoughts on the equipment and what should come first?
Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
I clicked on the link to see it closer, cuz it looks alot like my XTX200 2nd, and the 1st looked familiar to the XTX50
Just curious, and remembered the OP on this thread so passed it along. Hope it helps.

BTW sir/ma'am, I haven't made an effort to mislead anyone. I don't take offense to that comment, I know it was unintended, but it may confuse others who actually read the OP before posting erroneously. :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for the replies. This is all great info and I have spend hrs researching your suggestions. I think I'm going to go with the reg first, just don't know what one? I'm looking to stay under the $400 range.

Rent all or most of your gear for at least 6 months. Most new divers don't continue with the sport/hobby. If you dive regularly for at least 6 months and still love it, then your're likely to become a long term diver. Rather than doing your OW and outlaying for something you may not continue with. After 6+ months you can then start buying gear. Usually buying a complete set is the cheaper option, where you can mix and match. During the previous 6 months of regular diving you should of had the oportunity to rent a good selection of gear and have researched different brands.

Keep in mind as well, that you should buy equipment that you intend to keep for 5-10 years, rather than buying entry level stuff with the aim to upgrade in a year or 3. It makes financial sense.

My wife and I are still using the same BC, regs and console we purchased 12 months after our OW, just before we did our AOW. The only upgrade/addition in 7 years has been a Suunto D6 and D4 in 2008 to compliment our Console computers. Our Cressi Titanium regs are still current and one of the easiest regs to breath even down at 40 metres. Glad we didn't cheap out on our reg purchase.

Your regulator set will be the most important piece of diving equipment you purchase. Have it serviced every 12 months and it will last A LONG TIME.

My vote is for the regulator set.

I don't know you personally as a new diver but in general a dive computer for a new diver is just a trivia collector.

The depth, duration and frequency of your dives probably don't pose any nitrogen loading challenges. You can do all you need with a beater watch, and depth gauge. the other instruments should be constants even when it's time for your computer.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom