Suunto D4i vs Zoop - conservativeness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bero

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a D4i. I was diving a couple of times with a buddy that has a Zoop and his computer was lot more conservative than my D4.
We ended up doing deco according to his comp. but I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my D4.

We both set the settings up to P1 and still after the last dive to ~130ft I had like 8 minutes of total ascend time while the Zoop showed around 20 min. There can't be that much of a difference?

Anyone had similar experience with D4?

Hi all,

I have a D4i. I was diving a couple of times with a buddy that has a Zoop and his computer was lot more conservative than my D4.
We ended up doing deco according to his comp. but I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my D4.

We both set the settings up to P1 and still after the last dive to ~130ft I had like 8 minutes of total ascend time while the Zoop showed around 20 min. There can't be that much of a difference?

Anyone had similar experience with D4?

Hi bero,
Both use the RGBM algorithm, so my guess it is likely due to the difference in your previous diving styles, as that will vary things a bit. Also, if during this particular dive ur buddy ascended at times too quickly, it will cause his com time in deco to be longer. Those are my best guesses, but this thread may get you a more definitive answer though. It is hosted by Suunto. Best of luck.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/suunto/432253-q-suunto-diving-products.html

bero,
What is your RGBM setting? The factory default is 100%. Many Suunto users set the RGBM setting to 50%. This brings the Suunto algorithm close to many other dive computer algorithms. Yours may be set to 50%. The Zoop was likely set to 100%. Check through the dive settings. I have my D6 and the wife's D4 set to 50% so the Suunto's track almost identical to our Cressi Archimedes II console computers, and most other divers computers with us on a dive.

Thanks for the tips all!

I tried to find this percentage setting for RGBM but I couldn't find it and no mention of it in the manual either. Where do you set this?
The only influence to conservativeness is via personal setting - P0, P1 or P2, that I could find.

P.S. How does one's previous dive styles affect the computer? This was our first dive of the day..Way over 24h after the last one..

Thanks for the tips all!

I tried to find this percentage setting for RGBM but I couldn't find it and no mention of it in the manual either. Where do you set this?
The only influence to conservativeness is via personal setting - P0, P1 or P2, that I could find.

P.S. How does one's previous dive styles affect the computer? This was our first dive of the day..Way over 24h after the last one..

ON the D6 and D4 (not sure about the D4i), go into dive mode, press and hold bottom left (Down) button to get into dive settings. Keep pressing till you get to RGBM. From there press the upper left button to toggle between 100% and 50%. Perhaps the Zoop being an entry level dive computer is set to 100% with no adjustment. The D4i should have the option as for the D4.

Perhaps the D4i has lost this adjustment. I'd be very suprised if it has!

Dive computers will factor in repetitive dives and reduce your bottom time accordingly. If your last dive was 24+ hours there should be only a small effect unless you were diving several dives the day before.

Thanks for the tips all!

bero,
your habits during diving will affect the computer's prediction for deco time, or no deco dive time remaining. I am not positive, again I would go to the guys at Suunto, but I believe they will keep your style(and its adjustments as a result of it) even after 24 hours. The gekko model, while it can not be downloaded for the profile, is still able to be reset to factory by a dealer to rid the computer of this info.

I had the bad luck to be diving a wreck with a friend at 168'. My friend panicked, thought she saw sharks swimming around us she later told me, and even though I tried all the way up to 28' to control her ascent(only a partial success) I had to let her go at that point. At the time she began her ascent my Gekko was telling me I had 4 minutes left of no-deco tie. The whole way up the too rapid ascent with my friend I saw it go to deco mode, and then add more time to it. I wound up having to go back to a depth of 98' for 8 minutes and deco.
That is where I draw my info for the com profile changing with regard to individual diver ascent rates. Extreme example, but only one I have.
Something that could have an affect(guess only) is that your friends zoop would have been set on a sample rate of either 10 or 30 seconds and your more advanced D4 could have been set to a sample rate as little as 1 second. Bottom line, I don't know the exact reason, just offering things to the limits of my knowledge on your OP.
I would encourage you to contact Suunto to clear this up, it could be your com has a problem, your gonna want to check with them ultimately.

No such settings on D4i.
Only thing you can set with respect to that is the "Personal Setting".

Either my D4i is too liberal or the Zoop too conservative, but there's something wrong if they should be exactly the same...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom