My Documentary Needs Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melbel1023

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all - I am finished with the first half of my scuba open-water lessons!
I still need to do an actual open-water dive, but that will come soon enough.

I am working on a film for my environmental filmmaking class involving the Neptune Memorial Reef.
We need money to fund our trip to Miami, which covers boat and equipment rentals, and caring for a crew of over 8 people from Miami and some from outside of it.
(Caring for means hotel stays, meals, transportation and gasoline, etc)

Its also for any emergencies we may face during our trip, including lung over-expansion, decompression sickness, or any environmental inflicted injury that may cause us to delay our trip.
Also covering any equipment damage or emergency rentals.

Please guys, help me out - Anything you can donate is appreciated! Every bit of it helps - NO DONATION IS TOO SMALL. That means even $1 amounts are appreciated (yes, the more the better, but I understand the times being what they are).
This is a project for school, but its also a very personal project, as I have longed to see the Memorial for a long time - So, for me, this is a dream come true.

Here is the link for donations:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=SJRHE4PN9GZ5G

THANK YOU ALL

---------- Post Merged at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:29 PM ----------

here is the real link, i copied it wrong...
if you can't donate, please share the link and info. thank you!

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...63663d3faee8db02a037e263542f58098410815cf7df7

For your emergencies, just get DAN insurance that covers all the emergencies you mention. And they have equipment and trip insurance.

And why should we fund you? You're a completely new diver. How can we trust that you'll have good footage, when your buoyancy will likely be shoddy? Why wouldn't we fund people who dive the Neptune Memorial Reef often and/or professional underwater videographers?

Not trying to be a dick here, but it seems like you need to do more research and give us better reasons to donate.

Those are valid questions to ask, Scuba_Noob.
I will be diving with NetDoc (Chairman of this board), HowardE, and possibly kathydee - As well as two divers who are experienced divers and have used GoPros for their dives before. Those are the same cameras we plan to use. Another diver is from my own school, and she is a film student, like myself.
I am very new to diving, so I will not be operating a camera since I couldn't possibly multitask on what would be my first dive after certification.

My role in joining everyone though is just making sure that cameras are being operated properly, that everyone knows the shots to try to acquire, and to see the beauty of the location itself.
If you want to see my own footage from previous projects from school, my youtube site is melbel1023's channel - YouTube
I am currently working on this documentary, which will be my first environmental film, as well as a social project involving American marriages documentary.

If anyone has any further questions about this project, I am more than willing to answer you.
This week, I'm planning on having my shot design finished, and I can try to share them here for any who would want to donate to my film.

I wish you luck on your new adventure.

I'm a filmmaker as well and have done some documentary and narrative underwater filming.

There is a lot to becoming a diver for the sake of a film shoot. I highly suggest doing a lot of diving pre shoot, get your skills down and understand your physical limitations way before you commit to being "on-set" underwater. Even as a producer/director, you'll be too busy dealing with learning all the SCUBA stuff, to really be "useful" for your crew. If you don't learn the scuba stuff right, you'll be a danger to yourself unless your being watched over by someone else, which could theoretically be the case if you get the assistance it seems you'll be getting from the members here.

Having shot in some extreme environments from super low visibility and cold water, to high currents and night conditions, I can tell you its hard to do it right.

When you shoot on dry land, its very easy to scope out the scene. Its easy to have an operator set up a shot and you can be right there with them giving input. Underwater, you can't even see the scene until you dive and scope it out for yourself. So doing any storyboards pre-location visit is hard. I usually do a few dives on a new location before coming up with a game plan. Having your crew do a "fun dive" with you, as you point out stuff and take notes on a slate, is critical. This way, you all understand the "highlights" before bringing the gear into the water. But trust me, you aren't getting good footage with the go pro without lights and a properly composed shot.

Anyway, if you have any questions about the logistics about underwater shooting and how to do it right, let me know. I love your enthusiasm and hope you do well.

Ohh and I'd fund on kickstarter if I were you. :wink:

Please stay in touch with me during your project. I am the person that created what is now called the neptune Reef. I was the visionary, creator, fund raiser, permiter and involved in every aspect to include deployment, engineering and more. I am now preparing to build Stonehenge underwater and that project is in process of engineering.

you can see more at www.reefbuildersint.com Thanks Gary levine

Hey all - I am finished with the first half of my scuba open-water lessons!
I still need to do an actual open-water dive, but that will come soon enough.

I am working on a film for my environmental filmmaking class involving the Neptune Memorial Reef.
We need money to fund our trip to Miami, which covers boat and equipment rentals, and caring for a crew of over 8 people from Miami and some from outside of it.
(Caring for means hotel stays, meals, transportation and gasoline, etc)

Its also for any emergencies we may face during our trip, including lung over-expansion, decompression sickness, or any environmental inflicted injury that may cause us to delay our trip.
Also covering any equipment damage or emergency rentals.

Please guys, help me out - Anything you can donate is appreciated! Every bit of it helps - NO DONATION IS TOO SMALL. That means even $1 amounts are appreciated (yes, the more the better, but I understand the times being what they are).
This is a project for school, but its also a very personal project, as I have longed to see the Memorial for a long time - So, for me, this is a dream come true.

Here is the link for donations:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=SJRHE4PN9GZ5G

THANK YOU ALL

---------- Post Merged at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:29 PM ----------

here is the real link, i copied it wrong...
if you can't donate, please share the link and info. thank you!

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...63663d3faee8db02a037e263542f58098410815cf7df7

Please stay in touch with me during your project. I am the person that created what is now called the neptune Reef. I was the visionary, creator, fund raiser, permiter and involved in every aspect to include deployment, engineering and more. I am now preparing to build Stonehenge underwater and that project is in process of engineering.

you can see more at www.reefbuildersint.com Thanks Gary levine

Your website returns a "website cannot be reached" message/page.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom