Edge vs. HOG service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Pilot is a BCD!

It is a BCD now. It was the best (easiest breathing) deep diving regulator ever made --- and still is.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA048033

I think I understand the difficult position the scuba industry is in, they are the unwilling subjects of the insurance companies and trial lawyers so it's understandable that they resent the DIYer that spits in the face of their masters.

---------- Post Merged at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Scubapro Pilot
View attachment 137043

I really don't believe it is the insurance companies or the trial lawyers. I believe it is the greed of the not just willing but insistent scuba retail industry that wants to suppress competition and milk every $$$ it can from its customers. If parts were reasonably available, only good techs would be able to to stay in business and shops would have to produce or lose service business.

BTW, that Pilot is converted to the Air1 configuration.

I am pretty sure there are no laws stopping a person from having suicidal tendencies. The same I felt for anyone who tries to imply that without "proper certification, training etc" is borderline criminal. This is the kind of mentality that shuts people off from the good stuff which DIR can offer. OVERZEALOUS is the keyword.

Like so many things else, this subject will be a never ending debate. On one hand, we can all agree that a yes, there is a need to have things done properly. Properly does not mean a piece of paper saying that you are qualified and this does not mean that any tom dick or harry is just as qualified.

But, to put a stamp on it and call it "borderline criminal," when a person who is competent enough (even without the "proper" training) is a bit overzealous. Yes, as with most industry, there is a need to draw a line, but how far can they take it and what is the end game we are looking for? Accountability? /spits The entire scuba equipment industry dealing with equipment should start asking for diver's certification number prior to be eligible to purchasing diving gear if accountability is what they want. Just like the requirement to have a license to purchase a gun.
Then again, there is no law stopping any person to fix their own brakes, service their own regs, modify their own bicycle or repairing their george foreman grill is there? So, it is always "use your good judgement."

Obviously, grey area.

I remember getting my first bicycle. I was given some instructions by my parents who are not properly trained/certified instructors by the World Cyclist Association, and even when I finally could ride, I am still not a certified cyclist. We are all borderline criminals waiting to cross it when it is decided that I would require PROPER Instructor Training prior to teaching my kids to ride a bike and get certified.

What I don't understand is why you get the "your gonna kill yourself" mentality on Scubaboard. If I ask a question on some of the other diving BBSs you don't get these responses. Also I don't see this on other sites either. For example, if I post on an AV board how to replace the caps on my Yamaha receiver, people will tell me without the "your gonna electrocute yourself" or "your not a certified electronics technician".

What I don't understand is why you get the "your gonna kill yourself" mentality on Scubaboard. If I ask a question on some of the other diving BBSs you don't get these responses. Also I don't see this on other sites either. For example, if I post on an AV board how to replace the caps on my Yamaha receiver, people will tell me without the "your gonna electrocute yourself" or "your not a certified electronics technician".

You really need to look closely at who is making such comments. Usually it is a "dive professional". Most of them realize how dependent a shop is on the tech services income and some, apparently, feel obligated to protect their turf. Occasionally there is a relatively new diver making such comments. I suspect they either drank the full glass of cool aide or they are not who they appear to be.

Please let me point out that this particular post is misleading and I need to correct it. The schematic shown is for the current D2 first stage, the parts kit shown is for the 1st generation EPIC 1st stage, we have now moved on to a better seat design that is consistent with the seats used in our other regulators. The parts in the kit shown are not usable or appropriate in any way for the current EPIC, please do not buy that kit thinking it is. However, as mentioned elsewhere there are plenty of dealers who sell the current parts kits appropriate for our current model regulators.

The post I was referring to was Evad's where he showed the schematic, parts kit, and "magic black paint" earlier in the thread, sorry I didn't quote it correctly in my reply.

Reactions: Jax
Anyone who services regs for others without proper training is borderline criminal.

Does that include all the dive shops out there performing bad service? We might end up adding to prison overpopulation if so. Maybe we could beef up the home arrest program. :wink:

This tired argument would be less absurd if the requirements for professional regulator repair certification weren't so pathetically low as to be essentially meaningless. Unless, of course, you think that simply working at a shop and attending a 1 or 2 day seminar that nobody fails is a good qualification for professional service on 'life support.'

How does one differentiate between 1st generation and later EDGE Epic 1st stages without opening them up? I'm assuming that the kits are clearly marked. If not, that might actually be construed as criminal. Also, how the heck does one un-italisize?

I'm not sure how you tell the difference between them without opening them up, but there is no way you'll open one up and mistakenly put the wrong kit in. The HP seat is a TOTALLY different arrangement. The 1st gen kits however are the same as that used in the Salvo SR1 for anyone with one of those still laying around.

There was a time when I had no Idea how to service my equipment, I wanted to, but I didn't have the knowledge or access to a class at the time. So I asked questions, bought some books, and I figured it out. It's not rocket surgery, if you are mechanicly inclined you can figure it out too.

I'm not sure how you tell the difference between them without opening them up, but there is no way you'll open one up and mistakenly put the wrong kit in. The HP seat is a TOTALLY different arrangement. The 1st gen kits however are the same as that used in the Salvo SR1 for anyone with one of those still laying around.

I was told, before I bought two Epic 1st stages, that I was buying the current model. I don't want to open them up to verify this, and then order, and then wait for the kit...........................but, I am looking for a good excuse to open one up for no good reason. Maybe there's a secret key that you can only get from the service course and the joke will be on me.

Back
Top Bottom