When do YOU call a dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last dive I called, I started to feel "wrong" on the boat half way to the site. I suited up not really "feeling the dive". I jumped in the water, hauled myself down the side of the boat to the downline and finally admitted that "this is NOT right". I sat there for a bit seeing if it passed, a minute or so later it did not so I called the dive having never broken the surface. These conditions were not the worst I have dived in....just something was not right.

I'll stress that nobody bullied me during or after calling the dive and in fact they did not even knew anything was wrong before I called the dive. I was the one responsible for trying to "convince myself" that everything was fine and to do the dive.

Last edited:
I have called dives many times now. Surface conditions are usually the number one reason. If it looks bad above, then it will probably be bad below. Anything over 8' swells is pretty much a reason to call the dive before ever leaving the house (We get excited if there is only a 4' swell). Although we have gone out in long interval 14' swells and had fantastic dives inside Carmel Bay. Vis is usually at the top of the list too. If we can't see into the water, then it probably isn't worth getting in. One a really bad vis day a diver that was well trained, but I had never dove with wanted to dive. I kept asking "Are you sure you want to go?", and he kept replying "Yeah", and it I tried to get out of diving that day. The vis was horrible and the surge strong. If it wasn't for bright lights we never could have stayed together. Sometimes we had to put our hands out to keep from smacking face first into a rock. Next time I am not going to bother getting in...

Underwater I have called the dive for bad vis, as in under 2' (Couldn't see my hand on the anchor line), and for ear clearing issues. Also thumbed it when I was getting frustrated with a bad buddy. Of course buddies have called the dives for their own reasons and I never say a negative word, but if I don't understand I will ask why.

Like many others before me there are some dives I didn't call that I should have, which put us into dangerous situations.

If I ask myself "I wonder if I should call this dive?" I call the dive.

The little-voice-inside usually has pretty good instincts.

I've called at least half dozen dives in the last year. Most of the time it is trouble equalizing. First dive of the day is usually zero issues, second dive I usually have to go slow. Third dives are iffy.

Maybe one of these days I'll get off my bum and call DAN for a recommendation of a good ENT Doc in my area...

The question is, when i "call a dive." Part 1. There are three areas of reason for which we will not begin a dive that was planned. #1, if conditions are not as anticipated and render the dive unsafe. That might be murky water where sharks live, high seas, strong current or dangerous surge or high surf. If conditions are as planned, even if challenging, we will do the dive. #2 We will also cancel a dive if I or Debbie's equipment has a condition or malfunction that renders diving unsafe. (This has only happened once, btw, because for most contingencies we can repair or replace the problem equipment). #3 We will not commence a dive if either of us has a general feeling, explainable or note, that we do not feel right about the dive. No explanation needed, no arguing. Part 2. If we have commenced a dive we will terminate it if either of us makes that call. We share the reason after the fact. This has happened only a few times. Once was when I could not clear when I tried to force a dive with sever sinus congestion because we paid a lot of money and traveled very far to dive. (big mistake) Another occasion was an early indication of a camera housing leak that was just beginning, and we actually saved the camera. Sometimes, on shallow dives, one of us will get tired or parched. We have a tacit understanding that once an hour is up, either of us can call it a dive. We have managed quite a few dives over 60 minutes though.
I will confess that on dive trips, especially liveaboards, I am less likely to pass on a dive than Debbie is. If we are with others, she will sometime take a dive or two off just because she chooses to, and doesn't object if I team up with another buddy for a dive or two. But after many years of diving together we have one very important understanding that I hope everyone shares: Neither of us has to do a dive we really don't feel like doing out of a sense of obligation to the other. That is, no pressure for either of us to the other to do the dive because we really want to and they are messing up our vacation. 31 years of marriage, 10 years and hundreds of dives together, and we still get along. Most of the time.
DivemasterDennis

* I'll call it if I think I or someone else isn't having fun anymore.
* I'll call it if something has gone wrong that we can't fix, or until we get problem #1 fixed. Always fix the 1st problem, never press on and allow for a possible snowstorm of problems.
* I'm still fairly new to this sport, but it's nice to have enough experience that nowadays if I'm unhappy or worried, it means I probably shouldn't be where I am/shouldn't be doing what I'm doing, and can feel free to get up, get out, get home.

Sometimes getting into the water and to the descent line can be challenging, tiring and a little scary. Probably any time the conditions are something a diver hasn't experienced at least 3-4 times. I think a many dives have been a lot more fun, maybe been saved altogether by teaching newer divers to stop, either at the descent line or (in rougher conditions) on the line just below the surface. Everyone takes time to collect themselves, get their breathing under control, get gear squared away and just generally get prepared to continue BEFORE anyone slides off into the depths. Many flustered, slightly spooked people are a lot happier once they get a chance to rest, calm down and THEN decide whether they want to continue down or can it and go back up.

Last edited:
If I became dehydrated from vomiting on rough seas(sorry for the graphics), I'm a little prone to sea-sickness, and poor viz(very poor).

Other then that I have never called a dive. Even in limited viz or low expectations I still enjoy the physical aspects of diving enough to keep me in the water when the chance presents itself. Maybe get lucky to come across some interesting things as well.

As others has mentioned, if I get this nagging voice/gut feeling that I should sit the dive out, I will sit it out.
If its a site I just dont like people want to dive, Ill sit it out and jump on the third day of the day instead (If such option exist).
When (dont moan about this please) solo diving, If I cant think of anything that can go wrong on the particular site - BIG ALARM! GO HOME!

Of course if issues calling for it arise, Ill abort the dive and never look back for any other reason than learning from it. Its happened a few times and Ive learned from all of them.

Ill DEFINETLY stay home if theres a thunderstorm, splashing around on the surface in lightning definetly is not something I wanna do..

I have never, ever had a dive buddy hassle me about a decision not to dive AT the dive site. I've had somebody accuse me of analyzing myself out of a dive, and he was right, but that was during an e-mail exchange where I was coming up with more and more things we had to worry about before doing the dive. I think, in all honesty, I was being lazy and not wanting to drive all the way to the site, especially if there was a chance that weather conditions would make us turn around and go home. I ended up going and having a good day.

I've called a few dives where I'm sure my buddies were not happy with me (including the day of experience dives for a class, where my buddies had sprung for expensive gas that we ended up using in 30 feet of water), but no one has ever said a word. As it should be. Second only to "Never hold your breath" is "Anyone can call a dive for any reason, without recriminations."

Calling the dive a day or two before the dive: If I am sick, primarily sinus and breathing issues (just last weekend despite 80ft viz- :(), and once for vertigo. Just not worth it for me. But I am 45 minutes from the boats and beach- I'll get to dive again. If 48 hours before I am really puny- I'll cancel to give my buddy or the dive shop time to fill my spot. I try very hard not to cancel on the day of the dive.

Before the dive at the site: Major equipment issues, or conditions beyond my comfort level for myself and my buddy. Only maybe one or two total of those in 7 years. I have called a dive that I knew my buddy wasn't up for, but didn't want to say so.

During the dive: Again, equipment issues or anything that task loads beyond my comfort level. If I'm not feeling it, or if I can tell my buddy isn't feeling it, due to poor viz, bad surge, cold, and sometimes all 3 at once. I know I am not the only one who has given the thumb up and seen that look of relief on my buddy's face.

Call a dive at any time, no repercussions. Always.

Back
Top Bottom