When do YOU call a dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Im always right and never thumb a dive".
Seen marked on the gravestone of a stupid diver.

Similar to one I saw -

There's old divers, and there's bold divers, but there aren't very many old, bold divers !, - P

As a DM went against the instructors direction and called a dive for a student and myself. She had no business in the water and was only there for her husband and kids. I told her she not become a diver. PO'd instructor and family but too bad. She was an accident waiting to happen.
Drove two hours to the lake, got out, looked at the class I was supposed to help with already in the water, did not feel right as I would have to really rush to get in the water and not have time to get myself sorted out. Told em I was not going to do that, turned around and went home.
Woke up feeling crappy, sky was grey and rainy. Said nope, not today.
Did my first wet dive here a few weeks ago in water less than 72 degrees. Third dive I got cold and called it.
I have never felt pressured to do a dive by anyone (other than myself) and have not to my knowledge ever pressured someone else into doing one. Would never knowingly do so either. Especially with a student. If someone wanted to end a dive or not do one for any reason I'm not going to try and cajole them into doing it. I will encourage them to try but not in any way push it. I've actually ended dives early when I think a student wanted to stay in the water. It was just not a good idea. I see things they may not and if someone doesn't feel right or look right we are done.

Depends. When I got back in the water after a layoff I called the dive when my auto inflator stuck open. I could have orally inflated my BCD but didn't want to chance something else going wrong and overly tax my unused skills and gear. Today I'd continue the dive. Otherwise anytime I become uncomfortable physical or mentality or a major gear malfunction, free flow, bad gas leak, forgotten gear; weight belt, regulator. Environmental, REALLY bad vis on a sightseeing dive, strong currents, dangerous surf, heavy boat traffic.

Just as a comment, when I call a dive for rough conditions, it isn't whether I can get out; it is whether I can get out while rescuing my buddy.

I've been fortunate enough,or dive less frequently enough, to have never had to call a dive once it started. As others have said, I've "called" a dive before leaving the house-illness, weather; or before entering the water-seasick/equipment concerns.

I did call a dive once because my instabuddy (and I was his instabuddy ) was having problems with a) equalizing and b)his vision.........He wouldn't call the dive, so I did.
BTW, by the time we got back to the boat, he was nearly unconscious, and needed help from the crew to get up the ladder/remove his gear.

Back
Top Bottom