New RED FILTER for GoPro Dive Housing by SRP - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The HD3 still needs filters and will benefit most from them by having some manual control of white balance, I do hope that the next firmware update for the hero 2 also brings some more wb control but pro tune is already a good improvement over the earlier firmwares when it works properly that is lol.

AquaPro your self promotion of the filters is getting very old and stale..............no problems or issue with that, but just pointing out that you sound like a travel guide saying "our resort is best, come stay with us, this filter / thing at a 1/3 of the price of a whole new better camera is incredible"

@RockyHeap - First let me thank you for describing my character and I apologize that I'm becoming "very old and stale". I can see how my comments might be a bit one sided seeing how I'm the US and Canada distributor of the product. But promoting a product that really helps a diver get great video is easy for me. I've shot underwater video for more than 10 years, lugged equipment all over the world and I'm tickled to death to have a camera like the GoPro HERO. Small, easy to use and just a lot of fun. Now having a quality color correction filter just made it easier for the recreational diver to get great footage without all the hassle. I guess that's why I'm a bit excited with the release. It saddens me that you found it necessary to attack me personally. But I guess I served my country so you could have that right. USMC 80 - 84 MOS 0341

The filter does not sell for 100.00 in the US. Need to get your facts straight.

Last edited:
Well, as I stated a month ago - it was taking too long for this filter to come out.... and even though I recently purchased my H2, of COURSE I'm going to upgrade to an H3 the second it comes out.... and btw, after taking a ton of video the last month or so I can tell you - a filter is like putting a band aid on something you should get stitches for. If you TRULY want to get the best performance you can out of your HD cam - you'll want a SOLA or similar dive light. I routinely take amazing video with my H2, and the SOLA makes it possible. And considering you don't use a light with a filter and it is one or the other.... a filter is kind of pointless.

Lights are also a great tool as is a filter, people that dont want to spend $80 on a filter are not likely going to want to spend $700-$1600 on a pair of Sola video lights for their $300-$400 camera.

Lights will only benefit 1-1.5m from your light source in daytime so unless all you shoot is macro which a gopro doesn't do anyway then for many shots your expensive lights wont do much. Your not meant to use lights and filters combined but dont let such ingrained theories stop you from trying it as the results at times can be quite good. Its completely against the general rules of underwater video but I like to try everything to see what the results, many things may not work but some things may surprise you.

I have a pair of Sola's and filters, love the Sola's in the dark and overhangs plus getting up nice and close to things but as I like diving with big fish no matter how much I spend on lights they wont help much there. And my Sola 500 photo's which are about the absolute minimum you'd want for decent video lighting still cost about $700 for the pair these days. For more benefit in daylight conditions youd want to start at Sola 1200's and these sell for about $700 each and you need 2 of them. You'd hope for $1340 more you would get better results then an $80 filter but once your subject is more then 1.5m away your lights do nothing in the daytime.

With wet filters and lights you have the best of both worlds and though I think lights are a great extra tool to have. Someone looking at a cheaper setup and pretty good results a good filter is a much better place to start then going out and getting some lights. And cheapening out on lights will just cost you money and results wont be that great which is why light wise I wouldn't use anything lower spec then the Sola video/photo range and also why in filters I prefer the URPro range.

When it comes to lights the price difference between the Sola's and the cheaper alternatives is much more then $20-$30 and there are also many lights which are much higher end then the Sola's which really are only about mid range in the lighting brands. The URPro are the best filters you can get and only cost a few dollars more so in my eyes are well worth the price but that is just a personal opinion and like aholes everyone has one of those. :wink:

I completely agree with all what you said guys.
I'm in the same situation where my 2xsola 1200 + 1xsola 2000 are inefficient in daytime in Tahiti with the subject at more than one meter.
A good choice with very low light (where filters cannot do miracles), but so expensive...
Optical design and manufacture are an expensive work. Noone never complained about the prices for air filters.
The price is the price for quality. If someone don't care about quality, there is no need to discuss.

And when people argue about technical specifications, I prefer see myself the result. Adjusting the white balance will never produce those colors AND CONTRAST (never forget this second fact...) than the dome do with my GoPro here.
The thruth is the result with the images you see when you're back on earth.

media_of_the_day_mermaids02.jpg

You would need a lot of light! This is straight off GoPro's website under photo's....

Well, as I stated a month ago - it was taking too long for this filter to come out.... and even though I recently purchased my H2, of COURSE I'm going to upgrade to an H3 the second it comes out.... and btw, after taking a ton of video the last month or so I can tell you - a filter is like putting a band aid on something you should get stitches for. If you TRULY want to get the best performance you can out of your HD cam - you'll want a SOLA or similar dive light. I routinely take amazing video with my H2, and the SOLA makes it possible. And considering you don't use a light with a filter and it is one or the other.... a filter is kind of pointless.

Curious what kind of subjects and dive conditions are you recording ? Is you SOLA light filling the whole frame ? Any video samples we can see ?

Ok so what is the US price? I have seen the supposed international price but what is the price for me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom