UK SL4 LED w/cree R2 and LEDs for halcyon scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually when someone asks about a light being overdriven it's regarding the current on the emitter. It would be interesting to see what you measure that at, or what the driver says. Then burn time estimates can be made. Cree recommends these max drive currents...

XM-L - 3A (amps)
XP-G - 1.5A

re. Halcyon Scouts being able to run at "4.2V - 18V" with your module. I don't know if ppl here realize that with their Scouts (not mini Scout) they can run 26650 Li-ion batteries. 3 cells in series would be 12.6V, so within the driver's limits. That should give a very extended burn time. And they are rechargeable.

here are some sellers: Intl (KingKong), CN, 4sevens

I'm not trying to educate you JJ, since you probably know all this stuff, but this info may help the others who received your product.

Over the last 3 years I have used different batteries. I was all up on the 3.7 rechargables but they have a lot of draw backs and tend to go bad quickly. I have been using Rechargable C batteries 4500 MAH. They seen to be more robust.

PS I have changed to using the .8 to 4.2 LED for all the scouts unless other wise ask for. So if you are going to go the 3v or 3.7v batteries let me know. Thanks

A little unsolicited bump for this guy....

Sunday I took my UK SL-4 with one of Jim's R2 conversions in it to 120' on Lake Erie. It was flippin' dark! Clicked it on at 70' on the way down, and oh my!!! Thing is a light saber! Thanks Jim! Waiting to try out the same light with his R-5 conversion next..... Very satisfied.

A little unsolicited bump for this guy....

Sunday I took my UK SL-4 with one of Jim's R2 conversions in it to 120' on Lake Erie. It was flippin' dark! Clicked it on at 70' on the way down, and oh my!!! Thing is a light saber! Thanks Jim! Waiting to try out the same light with his R-5 conversion next..... Very satisfied.

Thanks

Are the voltages a big factor with these LED's ? I'm looking for a tight beam type LED
module to use with an old halogen UK SL6 ? I see the R2 and R5 mentioned and wondered
what might be best. I used an SL4 LED off the shelf last night and it had a tight focus beam
which I wanted with a very nice spill area surrounding the brighter center. I think this is rated
at 400 lumens. With my halogen SL6 I'm trying to get a module with a similar beam and maybe
300 lumens or so ? It has six C batteries. I'm assuming the voltages change with the number of
batteries, are these LED's rated per a particular voltage or do they have a wide voltage operating
range ?

you might want to PM him as this thread has been dormant for a bit of time....

The voltage is not a problem for the Cree modules that I use. They work from 4.2 to 12v no problem. So the SL4 and SL6 modules are the same. The R5 will be almost the same as the new UK 400 lumen LED. I have seen ratings for R5s to 385 lumen. But I stick with the 345 claim. I just do the R5 unless you really want a R2 they don't have much spill very good for bad vis. But the R5 is best all round.
The big thing with the SL6 is that the really old ones have a longer front bezel. But If your light has the same length Bezel as the SL4 then its good to go.
The R5 is $35 free US shipping. I do PayPal to jjblomquist@comcast.net for goods. I will have to make it up on Saturday AM and can get it in the mail that day, Thanks

JJ, thanks for the info. The bezel on my older SL6 seems to be identical to the SL4.
345 to 385 lumens with the R5 would be just fine. I'll let ya know when I have
made a decision, thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom