DIR/GUE Attitude: I just don't see it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come to Florida, no one around here gives a crap about rusty piles of metal...and the medical college here is hiring professors :wink:

Heck yeah! I will dust of my back mount setup to dive with you.

Linda, thanks for the link. I browsed it and will look at it in more detail. Who knows what the future holds. I have adopted a 5 year plan (year 3 currently) as a sort of informational gathering phase and from that several tangents seem to be emerging that can then be followed in a more formal focused way. Perhaps others will appear with more specialized skills who want to also take on some aspects of it. Photography being a particular weakness of mine :shakehead:

My situation is not as lonely as it sounds though. I have a lot of dive friends and I did have a few who joined me for a series of weekly dives there this summer. Probably my greatest sorrow is not having the time these days to dive with them all like I used to. I guess I too have to be selective with my dives and most are inland.

I have also shared a wreckage site with some DIR trained members of the UASBC to survey, which then led to a side scan of the whole lake. I don't want to sound negative because I like those guys but unfortunately, I don't know what became of that as they did not share their info with me in return.

Linda, thanks for the link. I browsed it and will look at it in more detail. Who knows what the future holds. I have adopted a 5 year plan (year 3 currently) as a sort of informational gathering phase and from that several tangents seem to be emerging that can then be followed in a more formal focused way. Perhaps others will appear with more specialized skills who want to also take on some aspects of it. Photography being a particular weakness of mine :shakehead:

My situation is not as lonely as it sounds though. I have a lot of dive friends and I did have a few who joined me for a series of weekly dives there this summer. Probably my greatest sorrow is not having the time these days to dive with them all like I used to. I guess I too have to be selective with my dives and most are inland.

I have also shared a wreckage site with some DIR trained members of the UASBC to survey, which then led to a side scan of the whole lake. I don't want to sound negative because I like those guys but unfortunately, I don't know what became of that as they did not share their info with me in return.

Greetings Dale,

If you get a chance, email me directly at gs@gue.com. Your fish survey in Cultus sounds like an interesting opportunity for Baseline project. I would guess that the GUE community on the lower mainland would be interested. I can bring it to their attention...:)

With respect to the survey of Bedwell Bay, also email me and tell me what you would like and I can help get it for you. I was part of several survey dives there so I am sure I can get you the data. My guess is that it is also readily available through the UASBC, maybe even on their website.

I like fish. I also like diving in fresh water. You don't have to rinse your gear........:)

Best,

Guy
gs@gue.com

---------- Post Merged at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:48 AM ----------

And one wet rock looks pretty much like another......;-)......

---------- Post Merged at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Come to Florida, no one around here gives a crap about rusty piles of metal...and the medical college here is hiring professors :wink:

And one wet rock looks pretty much like another one around the next corner......;-) I did see a white shrimp thing once though....and a dead catfish thing a ma bob.......be still my beating heart.....lol....:)

btw, I totally emphasize with your situation with not finding like-minded buddies locally to dive with. It is very frustrating, and you end up doing things that are different in some way from what you would choose in an optimal world. Folks that live near an active community which happens to be on their wavelength have no way of understanding.

I can totally empathize with this. I have a fairly large GUE community here and an equally large UTD contingent. There's even some cross-over back and forth between those posses, I wouldn't be picky. Alas despite ample numbers, few of them have the financial resources, the vacation time, the family time, the training, the experience, the fitness, the willingness to adapt to a project, or the mojo to join my larger projects. I found some people who do have those attributes and resources and they are for sure very different in training, experience, and mindset than a GUE perspective might have. So I work with what I have which requires us to all make some compromises in just about everything to find common ground.

I can totally empathize with this. I have a fairly large GUE community here and an equally large UTD contingent. There's even some cross-over back and forth between those posses, I wouldn't be picky. Alas despite ample numbers, few of them have the financial resources, the vacation time, the family time, the training, the experience, the fitness, the willingness to adapt to a project, or the mojo to join my larger projects. I found some people who do have those attributes and resources and they are for sure very different in training, experience, and mindset than a GUE perspective might have. So I work with what I have which requires us to all make some compromises in just about everything to find common ground.

Richard, I will gladly dive with you any time. I have been getting incresingly frustrated about the lack of interest in doing anything other than the standard dive sites over and over and over again. There doesnt seem to be interest in any sort of real exploration, ambitious projects, etc. And the few people who are interested, arent DIR. I know I am about 7 years behind you in training, but I would definitely be down to go out and dive some time.

And one wet rock looks pretty much like another......;-)......

HERESY!

On the other hand, one piece of twisted, silty rusty metal looks very much like another . . . here's a challenge, Guy. Can you show me how to get as excited about wrecks as I am about caves? (I sure have more access to wrecks . . . )

HERESY!

On the other hand, one piece of twisted, silty rusty metal looks very much like another . . . here's a challenge, Guy. Can you show me how to get as excited about wrecks as I am about caves? (I sure have more access to wrecks . . . )

Go to the East coast where they have real wrecks.

I have been diving with a former GUE instructor from Lexington, KY Ed Gabe...

I did my GUE-F with Ed. He's now a "former" GUE instructor? If so, that is sad -- he's a great guy and fantastic instructor.

I thought it would be interesting to bring in this post from another thread. The writer is explaining why the shop for which she teaches (she is NAUI) only accepts students for continuing education from a select list of agencies, and neither UTD nor GUE make that list.

Our shop has been teaching diving since 1972, including the local university academic diving program-- certified over five thousand students. We have fifteen instructors, including six course directors and four cave instructors.

As other posters have stated on this forum, GUE and UTD are not agencies by definition, they are more akin to regional dive clubs (there are others like them as well). We do not agree with the intent of GUE's teaching standards, which are more inline with indoctrination than that of instruction which results in independent thinking divers.

Just so you don't have to look a the entire thread, I could not find a single post in which anyone offered any statement at all about UTD or GUE not being agencies by definition, so I don't know where that came from.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom