Divi or Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to go back to Bonaire. Stayed and dived with Divi. Liked the dive op, but was not impressed with the hotel.

For a return visit I am looking at Buddy Dive. If you have used both, tell me about the house reef, hotel, etc. give me a comparison please. Buddy's dive and drive package looks pretty good.

Thoughts?

Sorry--haven't been to both, and I know that's what you asked for. I've been to Buddy's twice, including once for my honeymoon, and my wife and I love it. I'm not a Bonaire expert, but I have heard the house reef is considered one of the best house reefs. The rooms fully met our expectations, though they were not what I would call luxurious or beautifully appointed or anything like that. But they were comfortable and relatively spacious, clean (no mold whatsoever), everything in the room worked properly, etc. The restaurant is convenient and just fine, but we enjoy foraging and so eat most of our meals out. The drive-through air station is pretty neat. Yes, we did their "dive and drive package." Booking, check-in, check-out, etc., were all very easy. I would have no qualms returning, but in the past few years we have been doing our Bonaire trips with a group who prefer the Belmar condos (the dive op of which incidentally is affiliated with Buddy's).

My only familiarity with Divis is their rum punch party. Buddy's bar is nicer, I think.

I've stayed at both several times and marginally prefer Buddys

Much better house reef, no cruise ships anchored near the reef, better boat dive op, better boats (newtons), and a good dive and drive. The resorts are more or less comparable in terms of amenities, rooms and service. Both are typical dive lodges and not high end.

On the negative side, BD is not within walking distance from town and the Lion Dive side is under renovation so that it is very noisy and dusty. The Lion's den restaurant was closed when I was there in July and the pool bar restaurant is OK but not great. There is a lovely ocean front restaurant at Habitat, next door which almost makes up for the closure of the Lion's Den.

If you do book at BD, make sure that all the renovations are finished or that they guarantee not to put you over on the Lion Dive side; we could not sit at the pool or on our patio in the day or early evening because of noise and dust, equipment etc. We felt a bit cheated. Also be aware that some of the rooms are a long way from the ocean and do not have a view or a breeze.

we prefer Buddy and have stayed at both numerous times.
Buddy picks you up at the airport and during check in at the hotel you are haded your truck keys so there is no time lost getting a rental vehicle.Its all included in your stay. House reef is best house reef on island. Breakfast is very adequate. Rooms are not far from dock,all depends on where your room is located. Can be a 30 second to 2 minute walk to dock.
Town is in walking distance,a bit of a walk,but doable.But why walk when you have a truck? So "town" is like 3 to 5 minute away.Last time there ,this past May, we were on the Lions inn side in a 2 bedroom unit. All renovated and clean. Buddy Dive cannot promise what unit you are in.

I just got a quote for a studio, and given a one bedroom apartment is only a few bucks more.....I'm considering moving up. What, if any are the benefits with regards to location within the resort? View?

My point was that in July we were placed in a renovated unit on the lion dive side but there was construction going on in other units all around us. Lots of noise and dust all day every day. I'd stay away from the lion dive side until all the work is done. If the hotel won't guarantee that in advance, I'd go elsewhere.

I can't speak about Divi because I've never been there. I just got back from Buddy's a couple of weeks ago. The construction (they were directly across the pool from us) was only mildly annoying to me. The lack of parking was probably a bigger annoyance than the construction. It just gave us an excuse to make sure we did more dives. I enjoy the service, personalities and overall care that Buddy's gives. The restaurant is acceptable and I really enjoy the Friday night rum punch party and buffet. This is just my observations, others may have a different opinion even tho it is wrong.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom