Nauticam RX100 Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I would like to know the buoyancy of this housing with the camera.
If I look at the specifications in terms of dimensions and weights this housing together with the camera should be positive (1.5 liter volume and 0.77+0.24 for housing plus camera weight)
However I read on the housing manual that is slightly negative though I can't understand if this is without the camera (which means the dimensions or the housing weight are badly wrong)
I have also seen a rig with two sola light and ultralight arms with 4 stix jumbo floats suggesting that once you add lights and arms this is 1.5 lbs negative. Considering the sola are not that negative this to me means the housing and camera is pretty negative

Can anyone that has this housing and the DSC-RX100 tell me what is the buoyancy of the housing plus camera combo?

I would like to know the buoyancy of this housing with the camera.
If I look at the specifications in terms of dimensions and weights this housing together with the camera should be positive (1.5 liter volume and 0.77+0.24 for housing plus camera weight)
However I read on the housing manual that is slightly negative though I can't understand if this is without the camera (which means the dimensions or the housing weight are badly wrong)
I have also seen a rig with two sola light and ultralight arms with 4 stix jumbo floats suggesting that once you add lights and arms this is 1.5 lbs negative. Considering the sola are not that negative this to me means the housing and camera is pretty negative

Can anyone that has this housing and the DSC-RX100 tell me what is the buoyancy of the housing plus camera combo?
Mine is still positive with four Fix floats on my strobe arms. I'll be adding two more on my next dive and that should get me neutral.....

The point is that the arms and clamps are themselves negative. Two 5" arms and 3 clamps with head adapter is around 8.5 Oz according to Ultralight
Now once you put a handle you need two jumbo floats to make near to neutral and then you still have camera, tray and lenses
In essence in order to make it neutral you need a float on the tray itself as well or buoyant arms

For who is interested the rig Camera+Housing is 170 grams or 6 Oz negative

I just realized my scale has got grams precision and done it again. 160 grams

Attachments

• IMG_2921.jpg
    IMG_2921.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
If that can help someone, I have just checked my new rig:
Rx100, YS-D1, nauticam housing and tray + 2x5" arms, subsee +5
Total 855g in the water.

I added a 12"x2" PVC float and it's down to about 350g.

I will have to live with that, on my way to HI now :)

Hope i will be fine in salt water....

Hi there!

Its a pipe, so 12 inches by 1.5" diameter (sorry, 2" was my first idea but I choosed 1.5")

Its temporary I did not have enough time before leaving..

My old rig was almost neutral... Now I wonder if that weight will be manageable in real life conditions in the salt water

I wonder how 350g negative will feels like...

I am in the plane to Hawaii, so I will find out soon enough :)

Cheers!

Pat

Back
Top Bottom