EM-5 Control Wheel falls off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel Moncrieff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got back from a dive trip and the control wheel cover fell off my camera. The camera would still work, but the contorl wheel is not operable within my Nauticam Housing. Apparently this problem has happened to several others. I mailed the camera back to Olympus to be serviced, and they said it would take at least two week, and curtly refused to reimburse me for my shipping costs. I don't know about anyone else, but this seems pretty petty for someone who has just purchased a $1300.00 camera. You would certainly expect a higher level of quality when you pay that much money in the first place, and failing that, at least a higher level of service.

Just my thoughts:)

Mel

Possibly, it is a misalignment within the housing, that puts a bit too much pressure or something on the wheel, that made it fail perhaps?

What do you think?

---------- Post Merged at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Possibly, it is a misalignment within the housing, that puts a bit too much pressure or something on the wheel, that made it fail perhaps?

What do you think?

No. I, too, had the dial pop off the EM_D in a Nauticam housing, but there have been reports of the caps falling off of cameras that have never been used u/w. This is either a design flaw or faulty assembly. I strongly suspect faulty assembly. Do you remember the little circular reinforcements for three hole punch paper; look like flat donuts? I believe the caps are held on to the dial by a double sided donut-shaped tape. On my cap, only about a third of the circular tape was present.

Since I've had my cap reinstalled by Olympus, I've used the camera in the housing many, many times and it hasn't come off. Whatever Oly did, it's holding.

mine came off testerday i just got the nauticam housing and the plan was to go diving today with the rig. now i have to send the camera to the us.... im pissed off

I had that happen to me too (using the Nauticam housing). Was definitely due to user error though as the camera wasn't seated properly in the housing and so the dials were pressed against the linkages.

Careful application of super glue seems to have fixed the problem for me.

I was in the middle of a holiday and was willing to take the risk. I'm not recommending doing it, just letting you know that it happened to me too and that's what I ended up doing. I definitely wouldn't be laughing if I somehow managed to super glue the dial so that it wouldn't turn any more :wink:

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. Once again, this seems to be happening often enough that it is a problem, especially for a camera this expensive.

Back
Top Bottom