What is the most essential port OM-D EM-5 for my case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed a new chart up at the Nauticam web site for m4/3 cameras. It lists ports "coming soon" for the Olympus 12mm/f2 and the 60mm/f2.8 Macro and these are the ones I want to buy.

The chart is at the bottom of the page.
Nauticam International Ltd.

Thanks Calicant,
I'm interetsed with the 60mm as well. I hope it's equipped with M67 thread like macro port 56 or 35 - and have another extra 1mm so can be used for 12-50mm.

Thanks Calicant,
I'm interetsed with the 60mm as well. I hope it's equipped with M67 thread like macro port 56 or 35 - and have another extra 1mm so can be used for 12-50mm.

The ports for the 12-50mm and the 60mm macro have special gears and buttons to enable macro and focus limiting functions. There is no way to get the best out of each of these lenses without buying the ports Nauticam designed specifically for them. This is speculation on my part, based on the comments of others who seem to have knowledge about these things.

In my opinion, it's not really necessary to have expensive special gear for both lenses. The focus limiting function will help but not crucial.
I'm quite happy to simply select 12mm and 50mm focal lenght without this gear then add external lens to reduce the working distance.

Has anyone tried to use the Panasonic 7-14mm inside the 4" Zen dome? I am just curious to see how it would work...

Zen domes do not work on OM-D. On other PEN housings, Zen made a 4" dome for the 7-14 and a 4" dome for the Oly 9-18. They were lens-specific due to the different lengths of the lenses, so you must buy the correct one, but forget it if you get the OM-D. Nauticam designed a larger 6" dome to optimize the 7-14mm, which is what I purchased.

---------- Post Merged at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:14 PM ----------

In my opinion, it's not really necessary to have expensive special gear for both lenses. The focus limiting function will help but not crucial.
I'm quite happy to simply select 12mm and 50mm focal lenght without this gear then add external lens to reduce the working distance.

Hi Wisnu,

You still have to buy a port for about $400. To me, it was worth extra $400 to get the versatility of the special gears. Not only to you get the whole zoom range, you get "power zoom" mode which is absolutely excellent for shooting video. Maybe video is not so important for you but I switch back form stills to video all the time so I am happy to have it. You also get the best of the lens macro function with the capability of true ultra-macro with a +10 diopter.

However, best for you, you can get the port without the special gears to save funds, use it the way you suggest to see if you like it, and always add the gears later. The 60mm will also work in the port if you prefer to spend the $$ on a dedicated macro lens for about the same cost as the special gears.

Guy, three of the four ZEN ports for the Olympus PEN housings can be used on the Olympus E-M5 housing with the new ZEN port adapter. A new 8mm fisheye dome port had to be developed for the E-M5 housing. The Nauticam 4" port will not work with the 7-14 zoom.

Phil

Phil, I saw that about the Zen and Oly housing. My post was not the clearest, but I think Wisnu has the Nauty housing.

Is Zen going to come out with dedicated ports for the Nauty (or an adapter?)

Is it possible, using the nauticam port, for the 12-50, to do manual zoom? Or is it strictly motorized zoom?

We are trying to get away from motorized zoom, on every p&s cam!

For stills, I hate motor zoom. It is too much $$ for such limited functionality.

If it does manual zoom, as well as motor zoom, I might just buy it.

Hi Derway

I also posted this on wetpixel, but will also here. The zoom is motorized, but there are two speeds. A slight twist of the zoom for slow (ie video-type) zoom, and twist a little more for fast zoom. On land, the "fast" is a slower that what I am used to, but is not at all "point and wait." Underwater it is way fast enough (zooming underwater is a slower process because of twisting the gear, etc.) Underwater I almost never encounter a situation where I must convulsively twist the zoom and then have an instant shot. When it happens, it almost never results in a decent image anyway.

Plus, when in video mode, the power zoom is superb and way smoother than you can ever get with manual zoom.

it is not "limited functionality" You get the entire zoom range, a smooth video zoom, and an acceptably fast zoom for stills, and also the lens' excellent true macro function. Remember, this is a "do it all" lens (macro too). I think what Nauty has produced is absolutely amazing. just a few months ago, nothing could even come close to this versatility and functionality, at any price!

If you want manual zoom above all else, you can use the 14-42 with regular port and zoom gear.

It seems Nauty had to make an engineering compromise in being able to access only two "click stops" on the zoom ring (macro mode and power zoom mode, with the omitted third being manual zoom mode for those who have not seen this lens). I think they made the right choice choosing macro mode and power zoom.

When e-zooming in the Nauticam port the zooming is the slow speed mode (at least this is what I experience). This is OK since doing video and fast zooming is not recommended. For quickly zooming on pics it is indeed a bit too slow but I use the configurable movie button on the Nauticam housing to go into a quick UW mode. There are 2 settings that will switch fast to either 12mm or 50mm. That seems a faster way to get to those focal lengths than acting on the knob of the housing.

My main gripes on the Nauti 12-50 port:
1) the knob has HARD springs that make it tough to use. It should be an easier motion.
2) there is slight vignetting in some corners at 12mm especially due to IBIS motion control. It disappears at 13mm. This is even with the increased 77mm port thread.
3) Once you mounted the gear on the 12-50 lens you do not want to disassemble it unless you stop using it UW for sometime!!! Not a fun job!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom