It's Official, I'm Now A Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

---------- Post Merged at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Come on down to San Carlos, the water is still warm![/QUOTE]Do you know any instructors that would let me help with a couple of classes?

We're developing a business here called Dive San Carlos and that's where I eventually will work, once I retire and close my archaeology business. For now, I'm focusing on developing my skills and improving my diving.

Ok, now I understand you better. Congratulations! If you get it going and I'm ever out your way I'll be sure to check it out.

BTW, I still assert that competitive swimming has nothing to do with diving. You can be a fish in the water without ever doing competition swimming and the skills are very much different.

The paperwork finally went through and I'm officially a DM now. I went as far as Master Diver in SSI, and then switched to PADI to enter the DM program about two years ago. I took my time because I only had about 27 dives when I started. I'm at 158 now, so I've been doing some diving. :cool2:

I'll go for the Assistant Instructor certification sometime next year. Again, no rush. But it sure is nice to reach a goal!

Congratulations, Laurie!!!

Ok, now I understand you better. Congratulations! If you get it going and I'm ever out your way I'll be sure to check it out.

BTW, I still assert that competitive swimming has nothing to do with diving. You can be a fish in the water without ever doing competition swimming and the skills are very much different.

I agree about the swimming (yet we have a timed 400 DM test). My mother had probably the best crawl stroke imaginable and could swim miles, but probably would have gotten a "1" on the DM test). Swimming has nothing much at all to do with dive skills, but for an OW candidate it helps-- especially considering the number of people (nowadays anyway) that start the course and have very poor swimming skills (thus not comfortable in water) or can't swim at all.

Well Congratulations !

OK I know I'm cheap, but I don't care, it's not my livelihood.

Sorry-old and off topic but, there are some out there who are trying to make it THEIR livelihood.

Yep - and my apologies if the comment caused any rankle, it was little flippant but does not reflect my situation - if there was anyone else around to do it then I wouldn't be doing it. Where I am there isn't a well organised dive scene and the centre I use often cannot find a DM to lead dives, because they all have other jobs or are at UNI studying still. But they are trying to expand and keep their head above water so to speak however the dive centre struggles to get enough custom to survive, which is why they don't have full time DM's so it is a vicious circle.

There are three dive operators where I am who sometimes have to send customers to each other to try to make up enough people to make boats economically viable.

I'm in an unrecognised territory which only has external relations with Turkey, it has no other diplomatic status and is politically isolated with a very poorly supported tourism industry so it's a different economic dynamic here. I figure a free dive is worth it, and helps to keep the dive centre open which is also to my benefit long term.

Otherwise I will also be looking around to try to track down who has a viable dive boat trip running myself. Me not taking any money also makes a smaller dive party viable. P.

I agree about the swimming (yet we have a timed 400 DM test). My mother had probably the best crawl stroke imaginable and could swim miles, but probably would have gotten a "1" on the DM test). Swimming has nothing much at all to do with dive skills, but for an OW candidate it helps-- especially considering the number of people (nowadays anyway) that start the course and have very poor swimming skills (thus not comfortable in water) or can't swim at all.

it really helps with rescue skills, especially when doing the surface tows. That's where my experience really came in handy. And, I know some will laugh, but my other competitive swimming was in synchronized swimming. That actually provided a good background for learning buoyancy control and also for my smoothness in movement underwater. It all helps. :)

---------- Post Merged at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:24 PM ----------

---------- Post Merged at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Come on down to San Carlos, the water is still warm!
Do you know any instructors that would let me help with a couple of classes?[/QUOTE]

Sure do! My boyfriend, actually fiancé as of this weekend, is a Master Instructor and runs the Dive San Carlos program at Hotel Paradiso. He would be glad to let you help with some classes.

it really helps with rescue skills, especially when doing the surface tows. That's where my experience really came in handy. And, I know some will laugh, but my other competitive swimming was in synchronized swimming. That actually provided a good background for learning buoyancy control and also for my smoothness in movement underwater. It all helps. :)

I agree it all helps-- or at least can't hurt. I've posted often re swimming vs. scuba. My view in a nutshell is that swimming is a sport and scuba is an activity. I'm sure others don't want me to beat that dead horse yet again. But can you tell me how being a competitive swimmer helps with diver rescue skills? The tows involve 3 ways to hold the diver and leg strength, no? I'm not yanking your chain, just one of those topics I get wrapped up in. Both my brothers are competitive swimmers--I take their pictures. What shells have you found in San Carlos?

I agree it all helps-- or at least can't hurt. I've posted often re swimming vs. scuba. My view in a nutshell is that swimming is a sport and scuba is an activity. I'm sure others don't want me to beat that dead horse yet again. But can you tell me how being a competitive swimmer helps with diver rescue skills? The tows involve 3 ways to hold the diver and leg strength, no? I'm not yanking your chain, just one of those topics I get wrapped up in. Both my brothers are competitive swimmers--I take their pictures. What shells have you found in San Carlos?

For me personally, I believe it helped with my kicking strength. It's not the actual competition that helps, but rather the hours of lap practice swims to build endurance. And, the life saving training really helped me quickly learn the tows. My preference is still the arm over the rescuee's chest. I always liked that one because it keeps the person in good control.

There is a tremendous variety of shells here. The Sea of Cortez is the third most abundant body of water for marine life. There are several very good books just on the shells that are found here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom