Sony RX100 Setting Custom White Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is super great! If ever you have time and passion, you shoul start a blog for still/RX-100 as well!!!
As an almost newbie, I would learn a great deal I am 100% sure of :)
Thanks for the video blog. Ah, just to show how much newbie I am, when setting up your custom wb, you point to a white slate, is that it?

Thank you very flattering. Actually I still coach my buddy about stills but I find video more exciting
For white balance you can use a slate, sand your hand
I use the PADI slate as it also has grey on the back and other nice features, only issue is the hole make sure you use a soft lanyard and not cable tie

@ Intereceptor121: You have practically convinced me to abandon Canon G16 and switch to an RX100 :)
I found one on sale and intend to go for it tomorrow. However, one big concern remains in my mind as explained below..

I have read a few of your comments and instructions for setting the Custom WB, which were spread over a period of time and between this forum and your blog site, and must say, I am now more confused than before. How bad is this issue really? Somewhere you are suggesting that the Auto White Balance when shooting video is as good as a custom setting. But then again, in a different spot, you say that setting custom WB on Rx100 (RX100M2?) is a "disaster", with errors and other issues, not to mention the great number of steps required to actually even try to get there. I must admit that at some point I got lost on whether you were talking about the RX100 or RX100 M2. There may be a difference between the two. So, my question is basically: how bad is it really for RX100, which I am considering now? Both for video and for pictures. Does the auto mode really work reasonably well? For an occassional diver and even more occasional photographer, is the sequence reasonably easy to memorize and perform? I do not know the Sony interface, and therefore not sure what to expect. I have heard opinions that it was not intuitive at all.

I have seen samples of the low light performance for the RX100 and it is truly amazing. However, there are other issues to consider.. I will be shooting a lot in cold waters ranging in colour form from near tropical blue to strong green, and at depths of up to 35 m, and the ability to white balance is absolutely critical there from my prior experience. I will be also wearing gloves, either dry gloves with inserts, or 5-7 mm neoprene, and am not too sure, if wearing this gear I can pull off the required sequence on an Ikelite housing, with its small pushbuttons. And just to narrow the choices here, Ikelite is all I can afford for the moment...

Gloves are a problem of the housing not the camera. And the ikelite housing is notoriously problematic as the buttons are really close

My latest on WB is to buy a filter and leave it in auto full stop

But elsewhere you sad yourself that using flter+AWB is only god up to 15-20 m, or so. What is the solution, when I want to take a video in relatively low light on a ship wreck between 25 and 35 m ?

Back
Top Bottom