New RED FILTER for GoPro Dive Housing by SRP - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where exactly are you guys attaching a lanyard? I just got my filter yesterday and its quite fiddly to get on and off, I don't like my chances of keeping hold of this all the time underwater trying to get it on and off.

[video=youtube;RcbpF0IQS6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcbpF0IQS6w[/video]

Take a look at 1:28 the lanyard attaches to the hole in the tab....pulling on the lanyard is a great way, or you can grip the filter from the sides, pull down and pivot the bottom out, either way works well.

Check

Awesome, I was checking it out last night and saw the holes at the bottom but wasn't sure how to best to tackle this.

When you look behind the dome (yes, YOU are the hero :) ), with the hole in the dome for the power button on your right, you can attach the lanyard into the first hole you see at the middle/bottom position (ONLY the one just in front of you). This is the part you should pinch to attach/remove the filter.
Sorry for my english if you don't understand...

When you look behind the dome (yes, YOU are the hero :) ), with the hole in the dome for the power button on your right, you can attach the lanyard into the first hole you see at the middle/bottom position (ONLY the one just in front of you). This is the part you should pinch to attach/remove the filter.
Sorry for my english if you don't understand...

Thanks for the tips I rigged this up and it makes it so much easier to put on and take off.

Apologize for being off-topic, but has anyone had any experience about polarpro's filters? they recently released their snap-ons and you can easily buy both the red and magenta filter for less the price of one SRP Dome. Any comments on that?

I would like to know if SRP Dome is worth it given that there are cheaper alternatives out there.

I did notice, however, that the design of the SRP filter is sleeker than PolarPro's. It has a curved design as well which according to previous posts balances the color correction quite well. Having said that, we are all after results as well as value for money so the design doesn't really matter if it doesn't serve the purpose.

I guess my question is will PolarPro's filters (snap-on) do the same job as the Dome? Anyone tried that out yet and can compare?

Apologize for being off-topic, but has anyone had any experience about polarpro's filters? they recently released their snap-ons and you can easily buy both the red and magenta filter for less the price of one SRP Dome. Any comments on that?

I would like to know if SRP Dome is worth it given that there are cheaper alternatives out there.

I did notice, however, that the design of the SRP filter is sleeker than PolarPro's. It has a curved design as well which according to previous posts balances the color correction quite well. Having said that, we are all after results as well as value for money so the design doesn't really matter if it doesn't serve the purpose.

I guess my question is will PolarPro's filters (snap-on) do the same job as the Dome? Anyone tried that out yet and can compare?

I have done some testing with all the filters other then the Polar pro available for the gopro dive housing I will probably get one of those at some point too but I have plenty of things to try already lol. I just want to add some tests with pro-tune and hopefully some nicer vis conditions before posting my test comparison video, my initial tests weren't ideal filter conditions due to bad luck on the weather but still gave some interesting results

So far the URPro filters have always given me great results and are still easily my preferred choice. URPro are well known for their underwater filters and SRP's slick design just compliments the excellent filter performance that URPro are known for, they have been proven to work great by the many people that use them with all types of underwater cameras for many years and not only gopro cameras more recently.

I will be doing a fair bit of diving over the next few weeks testing out the HD2 filters and also some filters for the Hero 3. Like with dive lights and all things there are many options available but the cheapest option is rarely going to give you the best results and it never has in all my testing to date.

So far the URPro filters have always given me great results and are still easily my preferred choice. URPro are well known for their underwater filters and SRP's slick design just compliments the excellent filter performance that URPro are known for, they have been proven to work great by the many people that use them with all types of underwater cameras for many years and not only gopro cameras more recently.

Having said that, there are relatively few reviews about the polar pro filters. This was because of the lack of a wet filter that makes the product unappealing compared to its competition. Not anymore, however, as they have released their own snap-on filter.

I myself was intent on buying SRP's filter but hesitated once the PolarPro version was released. I realized I don't want to pay for an 80$ product for a problem that can be solved by a 30$ one. If the results of the Dome and Polarpro's are almost similar, then i'd rather buy the red and magenta filters.

I understand that since this is a very new product, not a lot of people would be able to provide feedback on its performance just yet. But if anyone other than the manufacturer was able to use it, then please do share your experience with us.

Thanks.

Having said that, there are relatively few reviews about the polar pro filters. This was because of the lack of a wet filter that makes the product unappealing compared to its competition. Not anymore, however, as they have released their own snap-on filter.

I myself was intent on buying SRP's filter but hesitated once the PolarPro version was released. I realized I don't want to pay for an 80$ product for a problem that can be solved by a 30$ one. If the results of the Dome and Polarpro's are almost similar, then i'd rather buy the red and magenta filters.

I understand that since this is a very new product, not a lot of people would be able to provide feedback on its performance just yet. But if anyone other than the manufacturer was able to use it, then please do share your experience with us.

Thanks.

I dont see why I would want to sacrifice image quality over $50 when the main reason you buy an underwater camera is to get good underwater results. $50 may sound like a bit but consider how much it costs you every time you go for a dive (Id spend close to $100 each day on boat fees, car travel costs and airfills alone for just a single boat dive) and the filter should last you for ever if you dont lose it that is lol.

URPro filters are proven at their intended purpose and I haven't seen any examples with the new PP filters and even the Polarpro yt account doesn't have a single example video showing them in use yet. I cant comment on something I haven't used yet but cant see how the a generic molded plastic will be better then the URPro lens so the only way they can realistically compete is on price alone especially if there is no real world examples shown by them or anyone else to make any other judgements off.

Its good to have multiple choices and some people need to save every dollar they can, so may need cheaper options but anyone looking for best results wont ever be looking in the bargain barrel for any optical camera filters :wink:

I dont see why I would want to sacrifice image quality over $50 when the main reason you buy an underwater camera is to get good underwater results. $50 may sound like a bit but consider how much it costs you every time you go for a dive (Id spend close to $100 each day on boat fees, car travel costs and airfills alone for just a single boat dive) and the filter should last you for ever if you dont lose it that is lol.

Hey Marty, I completely agree. I'm willing to pay the additional 50$ if the SRP is a lot better than the new PolarPros. On the other hand, if the Polar Pro Filters turn out to be the same quality as the Dome, then it'd be stupid to buy something more expensive that will produce the same quality. Just going for the best bang for the buck here.

I guess I'll have to wait till someone posts a comparison test then. :)

Hey Marty, I completely agree. I'm willing to pay the additional 50$ if the SRP is a lot better than the new PolarPros. On the other hand, if the Polar Pro Filters turn out to be the same quality as the Dome, then it'd be stupid to buy something more expensive that will produce the same quality. Just going for the best bang for the buck here.

I guess I'll have to wait till someone posts a comparison test then. :)

Thats true but I am still yet to see any filter perform better then those by URPro underwater and I highly doubt some generic plastic molded filter will be the first to beat them. Optically I think the PP design may have some issues just in the way that the plastic is made even before going into the exact filter colour and how this works at what depths.

Its a little surprising that they haven't put up a single video showing their new filter in action on their own yt channel and so its impossible to comment on it one way or the other as there is no real information to go on. Im sure if it easily beat the competition on more then just price this would be part of their marketing strategy but its not and I wonder why?

But as this is the official SRP thread I dont want to continue off topic here as I wouldn't want to go into their thread and start discussing other brands.

Back
Top Bottom