GoPro2 + Wifi Backpack at COSTCO for ONLY $199

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
With the new generation of White/Silver/Black versions of the Hero.........Just thought I'd pass on that Costco is blowing out the Hero2's, with a WiFi backpack, for only $199, which is a very good deal.

While I already have a Hero2, and a Black Edition Hero3 on order, getting a another second Hero2 might be fun to use in a 3D housing.

I can't believe they're including the WiFi backpack for $199, you NEVER see GoPro Equipment on sale below retail suggested pricing......

IMG_20121025_140325_872[1].jpg

lucky, you are. Not even a single Go Pro dealer, here, if you need one, you have to pay 2 times the price for an HD1...
ne_nau.gif
:banghead:

If someone doesn't have a Costco nearby, and wants me to ship them one and covers all costs (I take paypal) I'm sure we could work something out............PM me.

Built in wifi and only $199 for a Hero 3
The HERO3: White Edition boasts the same high performance specs as the Original HD HERO camera it replaces, yet it has built-in Wi-Fi, new UI and is 30% smaller and 25% lighter. The HERO3: White Edition is wearable and gear mountable, waterproof to 197' (60m), and is capable of capturing 1080p 30 fps and 720p 60 fps video plus 5MP photos at a rate of 3 photos per second.
HERO3 White Edition | Wi-Fi Enabled | Professional Quality HD footage

Costco is over charging...

While I agree that the new Hero3 White is the same $200 price, it's also a whole new package (size/technology), new isn't always good for backward compatibility to gear you already have.

Maybe I want to get a new Hero2 to marry up with my existing one and use them both in a 3D housing? You can't mix match Hero2 and 3's.

I have a ton of SD memory cards, but the new Hero3 takes a new Micro SD.

I have several spare batteries for Hero2, not so with Hero3.

I've got both a Backscatter and OEM housing for my Hero2, but only one camera, now I'll have Two Hero2's fully operational.

My point was that many many retailers still are selling their existing stock of Hero2's at full $299 price. As well as then still charging $89 for the WiFi backpacks.

So if you want into a store not aware of the Hero3 existance, you're spending $400 verses the Costco $200. I'm thinking many many retailers are going to sell their existing stock at full retail price till it's gone.

Note also, the Costco Hero2 and the White Hero3 are both only "wi-fi enabled" You'll still need the GoPro KeyChain FOB operator control, or a smart phone to utilize either Costco 2 or White3 remote wifi operation.

Here is a simple chart showing difference in the new Hero3's, and my old Hero2 has better performance in some areas than the new $199 Hero3.

http://gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras

Built in wifi and only $199 for a Hero 3
The HERO3: White Edition boasts the same high performance specs as the Original HD HERO camera it replaces, yet it has built-in Wi-Fi, new UI and is 30% smaller and 25% lighter. The HERO3: White Edition is wearable and gear mountable, waterproof to 197' (60m), and is capable of capturing 1080p 30 fps and 720p 60 fps video plus 5MP photos at a rate of 3 photos per second.
HERO3 White Edition | Wi-Fi Enabled | Professional Quality HD footage

Costco is over charging...

This is for the Hero 2, the functional equivalent of a silver addition.

The only difference I can see the old technology of the Hero2 takes up a larger frame, and the Hero3 white edition takes a few less frames of photos per second. Who cares how many photos it takes that is what a DSLR is for, these are video cameras.

From what I have read you can mix and match when doing 3D but confirming it would be prudent. Plus unless you already have two underwater housings and blur fixes, then Hero3 would come with a working underwater housing. Most other accessories are backwards compatible.

I have no dog in this fight, just doing research myself as I plan on getting a black edition.

Doesn't every geek have a smart phone? :dork2:

Right guys, who's willing to ship one of those to South Africa? The Hero2 alone trades for R4000 (US$470) over here which is just ridiculous...

The white edition is the same as the hero1, the silver is the hero2 so its still a pretty good deal as the silver is selling for $299 and only difference is the smaller form factor, new lens and built in WiFi in the silver.

Possibly some firmware differences but not much has changed in the specs between the Hero2 and Silver edition hero3. You will need to get a flat lens for the hero2 though if using it underwater as surely most people on this forum will :wink: so if you dont have one already it will put the price up to $249 with the dive housing or you can get another 3rd party option.

Back
Top Bottom